Revell 1/9 Scale Kubel - Wheels,windscreen and weathering

Ah yes I know what you mean, you need an additional secret stash, or tell her that you have had it for ages.

All the best

Chris

Well, tbh, she has no idea what is actually in it, so I can sneak in the odd occaisional kit, but I think something as big as a 1/16 beetle would get noticed....

Hi all

Further progress on the engine, carb on painted along with Dizzy and HT leads Both pulleys and fan belt now on, starting to look a bit better now. Got to do some major work on the engine bay as completely wrong as double skinned sides missed out of kit along with metalwork that comes to meet the engine tinware as with an aircooled engine/bay. Not looking forward to that part.

mycarsjan20082290.jpg

mycarsjan20082291.jpg

mycarsjan20082292.jpg

Thanks for looking

All the best

Chris

Very nice engine, lovely paintwork. I really like the worn fan belt. Or fan belt, it's not a fan but an alternator...

Edit: Now that I think of it there actually is a fan in there... what is it called in the VW-world? Fan belt or alternator belt? Oh well, very nice build it is.

Edited by Jörgen Stendahl

• 2 years later...

Some more work to bring us up to date. I have been working in the engine compartment

Started by cutting the flooring piece to the right shape

x56xr6.jpg

Then I have created the double skin inside the compartment using two layers of scrap plasticard

6gwpb4.jpg

fbi4xc.jpg

I have then created the mount on the firewall and retaining bracket for the Bilstein jack, the small lubricating oil tin and engine oil tin stand. I still need to make up the brackets for the lubricating oil tin.

aw3s04.jpg

mbguxc.jpg

Thanks for looking

All the best
Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge

Hi all

The Mods have kindly moved this to this thread as I put in in the wrong part of the forum some years ago. I am usually one for modelling winged things with the occasional vehicle. Recently I have bought some AFV models and am also building a Whippet Tank as well as some aircraft projects.

Further work on the engine bay tinware which will help close it up.

2qd0ewj.jpg

mjvasx.jpg

Below is the tinware which goes onto the engine where the engine mounts to the gearbox

2jdmk92.jpg

Will do some more soon

All the best
Chris

• Like 1

Hi All

Made the lower engine tinware, slightly rough at the mo will clean up and paint soon. Have had to make some compromises and so it is more of a representation but hopefully will look acceptable when complete.

eta6hw.jpg

i1jqfm.jpg

Thanks for looking

Chris

• 1 month later...

Some more progress Engine installed and bay finished off.

2napmc2.jpg

Rear seat added, thinned down the kit seat cushions and cover in tissue and PVA for the right texture

etz04n.jpg

Doors on, hinges were a bit fiddly but got there eventually, body painted a bit more, some dents added here and there.

xge53o.jpg

9b8x76.jpg

Decals now on and have replaced kit shovel mount and retainer with scratch brass built bits and also added the screen stops and added brass retaining clips to those also, now all lights added/painted and gloss coated waiting for wash, will post more photos soon.

Thanks for looking

All the best
Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge
  • Like 1

This is quite frankly scary how you have constructed and painted the engine in this .

So realistic...brilliant.

My Kubelwagon is looking at me now, but don't think it will be getting a similar sexy upgrade.

Great skills, great job :winkgrin:

Cheers

K

Hi All

Further progress, body now painted, decalled, glossed, washed and matt varnished, will now add the rusty bits then the mud, once that is done wheels can go on finally.

n7155.jpg

2rcuddy.jpg

Convoy light added, the four green lights on top gave the vehicle following the position of the vehicle in front. I.E if they were in the right distance behind they would see two green lights, if to far away they would merge into one and if too close would see the four separate lights. The red lights are the normal rear light to the left and the brake light to the right, there should be a small hole in the cover over the brake light so when in convoy the vehicle behind could see the brake light illuminate. I expect you all probably know that anyway, sorry if this is the case . Sorry about the following photos quality.

2lux7gh.jpg

htvdq9.jpg

Thanks for looking

All the best
Chris

Hi All

Finally got the wheels on, windscreen in place and some weathering started, windscreen masked with Frisket Film. Looks very big now standing on it's wheels. The mud was added using Humbrol 29 dark earth and talcum powder mixed up with some dry bushing of the same. got to add some paint wear on the door handles and some chips here and there. Attention can then turn to the front seats as I will have to make the cushions and springs and then the roof which will be up and possibly may have the side windows in place.

534kk5.jpg

2ikuv0o.jpg

29wr0p3.jpg

103zhp4.jpg

103sv7r.jpg

333bp1y.jpg

2d9v7eg.jpg

30ww3g2.jpg

rb093k.jpg

Thanks for looking

All the best
Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for the kind comments, It is stalled at the moment as I need to make the front seat upright cushions prior to making the roof. Hopefully will get that done soon but currently and doing some Aircraft kits.

Crikey another one !!! this one has taken long enough.

Thanks again

Chris