Revell 1/9 Scale Kubel - Wheels,windscreen and weathering

Fancied a change so building something with wheels instead of wings.

This is a great kit, it sheer size alone is impressive. I have spent the last few evenings correcting and building the main part of the engine. They have used what looks like mid 1960's 1300cc single port engine with Dog house fan shroud (probably used a restored example to get measurements off of in the western world then as they would have been very hard to come accross or get parts for I imagine as most of the survivors were blown up in the war movies, also the iron curtain hadn't fallen then, where there were quite a few picked up by farmers and residents when the fleeing troops abandoned them).

The initial moves were to cut the front portion on the right hand crank case to remodel. Also the Dynamo pedestal was integral with this side of the crank case on early engines so this was cut down and modified. The fan shroud was cut to the correct shape and two strips of plasticard glued around the edging and sanded.

1zv4ffm.jpg

2e16t8p.jpg

24v48ch.jpg

2v2up04.jpg

124gdp0.jpg

The Crankshaft pulley was also a later one so this was corrected as best as possible for the three holed version.

qqy2za.jpg

The Air intake manifold was wrong and also appeared badly warped so the middle was replaced with sprue from the kit and then the HT conduit was made from stock tubing.

66ge4y.jpg

Starting to look like a VW engine now, the exhaust J-tubes were incorrectly number on the instructions and should go on the opposing cylinder heads than the one mentioned.

2ugc5uh.jpg

Thanks for looking

all the best

Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge

Chris: You just got to love those VW engines...I had a 1971 "Super Beetle" once...had lots of enjoyment driving that car..! Your start on the Kubelvagon looks great..

Cheers,

ggc

More progress, have been correcting the front suspension. They again have used a Beetle front suspension as the Kubel did not have large shock absorber towers/mounts at either end like a beetle. The very dinky shock absorbers mount the opposite way to a beetle so instead of going from the top of the tower to the bottom trailing arm they go from the top trailing arm to the lower extremety of the torsion bar outer frame.

2ccryol.jpg

The shock still works as all I have done is shorten everything even the spring inside. I have relocated the top mount closer to the pivot on the top trailng arm and used the top tower mount upside down to make the lower shock mount.

wb55jk.jpg

I assembled the offside wheel/stubaxle assembly and this turned out to be the nearside one so they are numbered incorrectly too.

Despite the little niggles this is a very enjoyable little project and it is such a shame that they haven't produced a 1/9th scale beetle as the mechanics are all there they just need body and interior.

Thanks for looking

Edited by bigbadbadge

That kit has been on my "things I must build one day" ever since I saw the ESCI original in the model department Debenham's back in the 1970s.

Didn't realise the kit wasn't totally accurate for a WWII era machine, that's some painstaking work you;re doing there. As/if/when I ever do (and it would have to be an ESCI boxing) it'll be SFTB, errors and all.

• 11 months later...

Finally further progress on this rather large model

5k3lfm.jpg

Duckboards being made from Balsa wood

312e1le.jpg

Floorpans painted and duckboards in place. Pedal assembly in place, Master cylinder removed as these had cable brakes

5citg5.jpg

Seat frame made up, cushions are rubbish so may have to scratch them

2qv8bd0.jpg

Speedo has needle made up from a pin and some plasticard as no needle in the kit.

2yuamfd.jpg

Bodywork starting to go together, size is impressive this is on an old dining chair

311rkw9.jpg

15r1wea.jpg

Wooden duckboards painted to look like wood !!!

2l8yz5z.jpg

More to come soon

All the best

Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge
  • Like 1

Thanks Richellis

I wish they did a 1/9th bug, i think they only did a couple of bikes WWII BMW and side car sort of thing. Dragon do a 1/6th scale one though, the box is bloomin massive!!!

Further progress, Boot floor and firewall added.

168im41.jpg

f054bt.jpg

All the best

Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge

Thanks Richellis

I wish they did a 1/9th bug, i think they only did a couple of bikes WWII BMW and side car sort of thing. Dragon do a 1/6th scale one though, the box is bloomin massive!!!

Further progress, Boot floor and firewall added.

mycarsjan20081032.jpg

mycarsjan20081033.jpg

All the best

Chris

I think there was a Kettenkraftrad issued in this scale as well. BTW great detailing of the VW grandpappy!!

VW Cheers,

ggc

I think there was a Kettenkraftrad issued in this scale as well. BTW great detailing of the VW grandpappy!!

VW Cheers,

ggc

You're correct - they did do a 1/9th scale Kettenkrad. I'm threequarters of the way through building one and it is big. The bad news is that I think the kit was based on a post-war forester's vehicle because there are a lot of inaccuracies.

Brian :smartass:

Saw one of these on a trailer on the A14, has there been a show in Northhampton area today as there was lots of air cooled stuff? i konw its Ed38 but thats more water cooled!

LOTS of VW's of all sorts in the Northampton area this weekend.... Whether it was Billing or Santa Pod?

Rich

LOTS of VW's of all sorts in the Northampton area this weekend.... Whether it was Billing or Santa Pod?

Rich

it was VW Action at Santa Pod this weekend. i'm quite a fan all of all things Vee Dub, never had the money to run an aircooled though, got to make do with my T4 bus!

this Kubelwagen looks great, i'm loving the extra detailing you're putting in :speak_cool:

Thanks everyone.

I would have loved to have gone to VW action, could not afford it though, they are quite expensive shows as the pod. I am however going camping in my bus this weekend at a more local and much smaller show. Can't wait, VW's beer and BBQ can't ask for much more!!!

All the best

Chris

• 2 years later...

Hello again everyone I have finally got round to doing a bit more on this one now my bodyclock getting a bit more used to office hours.

First up the carboretter has been upgraded a wee bit with addition of throttle bits and bobs and return spring.

mycarsjan20082277.jpg

mycarsjan20082280.jpg

The Engine with the Dizzy cap and part of HT leads pushed into the carrying tube, which was a pain in the rear to get in.

mycarsjan20082283.jpg

The Spark plugs and HT leads

mycarsjan20082284.jpg

mycarsjan20082285.jpg

Thanks for looking, will be doing a bit more soon hopefully.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks Paul for your kind comments.

The kit itself is very good and goes together well. When the tooling was made the vehicle that they used as a base back in the 70's must have been one that had been restored using Beetle components which differed as the years progressed (many people believe that they are all the same but each year the models differed as improvements, increases in engine capacity were made). From the look of the parts a 1960's beetle has been used. I have spent time back dating some bits to what it should have looked like, however I am not a rivet counter so have made do with some bits too, front suspecnsion looks better but I cannot get the front shocks quite right. The model also looks impreesive with it's shear size being some 41 cm long.

This will take me some time and I will intersperse with some aircraft and my other VW project a replica of my own beetle (as per the avatar).

Thanks again

All the best

Chris

It's a shame they couldn't get it right, but I suppose there aren't that many original Kubels around still?

I'm no beetle expert. I can more or less work thru it's lineage as far as body changes go, but engine changes, other than obvious stuff, like carbs, dynamo/alternator, are not in my knowledge. Still, I'd like to do an air cooled kit again some time and was looking at the Revell 1/16 beetle, maybe as a replica of the one I had many years ago.

Watching with interest

Paul

Hi Paul,

The Revell 1/16th Beetle is a nice kit to build and goes together very well. Split window beetles are very desirable (read valuable) now days and in top condition fetch quite a lot of money. If you get it to build let me know if you want any piccies and I will try and help out.

All the best

Chris

Hi Paul,

The Revell 1/16th Beetle is a nice kit to build and goes together very well. Split window beetles are very desirable (read valuable) now days and in top condition fetch quite a lot of money. If you get it to build let me know if you want any piccies and I will try and help out.

All the best

Chris

Cheers. If I do, it won't be for a while. I have to whittle thru the stash on orders od SWMBO.....lol