Spitfire Mk I K9787 - Model Alliance 1/72 decals

tonyp

Hi All,

I just received a set of the decals for the Red Arrow Hawk, 90th Anniversary Roundal Hawk etc. It has a set for the 1938 Spitfire for which was the basis of the other hawk on the sheet. I've never done a Spitfire and would like to try to do this scheme in 1/72.

I have had a search on this site and couldn't find the information I was after. I was hoping some of the kind gents and lasies could help with the following. I'm going to use the Tamiya MkI kit in 1/72.

1. As I am using the Tamiya kit, will I need to source a 2 blade prop? I have read they were eventually replaced by three blades. How long did they use the 2 bladed props for? Is there a two blade after market prop?

2. I would like to open the engine bay, gun bays and spruce up the cockpit. What aftermarket is available?

3. What other things on the Tamiya kit have to be replaced to make it a true Mk I as depicted in this decals sheet (please no airifx is better than Tamiya, I have the kit already and know some of the pitfalls.).

4. I have the Modellers Datafile No.3 on Merlin Spits and it states that the earlier MkI's had Aluminium undersides. Was this bare metal or aluminium paint? Also how long until this was replaced with Sky Grey?

Any other pointers and bits of advice would be appreciate.

Thanks

Tony

PS This is my first post after lurking for a while. Please be gentle!

Edited by tonyp

K9787 was the first production Mk.I, and had a two-blade prop until September, 1939, when it was also fitted with a Merlin III. It was used for handling trials at Martlesham Heath. If you do decide to open up the engine compartment, two-blade prop-equipped a/c had large lumps of lead attached to the engine bearers, at the front attachment points, to help with balance. Aluminium was silver paint, never bare metal. You'll need Graham Boak to advise you on 1/72nd items, and the kit, itself; I don't build in that scale.

Edgar

Leaving aside the acknowledged shortfalls of the Tamyia Spit, it's actually not bad for an early one as it has the gun barrells extending beyond the wing as the early ones had.

The main other difference between the 'Battle of Britain' mk 1s and the early ones was the canopy - the early Spits had a flat topped one. The other difference is the early ones had a different radio antenna.

Model Alliance do a resin conversion set with the early prop and antenna (Need to dig into the stash to see if it had the canopy, but I think it did), and Aeroclub do the prop.

Alternatively, the old Hasegawa Spitfire mk1 had the early prop and canopy, which you might be able to scrounge from someone who has the kit.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I note Aires has a detail set that fits my requirements nicely. Does it just include parts for the cockpit, gun bays and engine? Is there an online review somewhere? The Hannants and Aires sites have very little.

Thanks

Tony

Which '1938 Spitfire'? Prototype or early production a/c?

As far as aftermarket conversions for either type goes, the following are available.

The Model Alliance early Spit conversion set includes a resin two-blade prop, early pitot tube, aerial mast and canopy. The former will fit the Tamiya but the latter is designed to fit the Airfix kit.

Aeroclub do a prototype conversion kit which includes a white metal two-blade prop, exhausts and a canopy. Again, the latter is designed to fit the Airfix kit.

Paragon Designs do a very nice prototype conversion that includes pop, exhausts, u/c doors and canopy among other parts. This, strangely, is designed for the Hasegawa Mk.I kit, which is certainly not one of the best for accuracy and lacks the gull wing effect.

Falcon produce a Spitfire Special canopy set that includes both the prototype and early production canopies (The early prod. machines had a flat dimmer screen added to the windscreen). These are designed to fit the Tamiya kit.

That's it for the aftermarket conversion sets as far as I know. The old Hasegawa Mk.I kit includes a two-blade prop and early prod. canopy. The latter can be made to fit the Airfix kit, but I don't know about the Tamiya.

If you really want to use the Tamiya kit then you'll need to mix and match from the above, with either the Paragon set for the prototype or the Model Alliance one for an early prod. a/c, along with the appropriate Falcon canopys, being the best (but not the cheapest) options.

As for cockpits, the u/c retration unit on the early machines was hand operated by a lever. This was a feature of the early cockpits and if you're modeling the canopy open then it would be visible. That from the Airfix 1/48 Mk.I is perfect because it's way underscale for 1/48. Otherwise you'll have to make one. The Aires cockpit is very well detailed and would, I think, be appropriate apart from the retraction unit, which could be removed.

There were other detail differences between different stages of the prototype and between those and early production machines, so you'll need some reference for the a/c you wish to model, or state which here for more specific advice.

Adding the cost of the full Aires set to that of conversions/canopies, you're going to end up with a very expensive little model! Personally, I'd go for the Airfix kit along with either the Aeroclub or Model Alliance sets and scratchbuild the rest (and if you're building the prototype then it doesn't even matter about the raised panel lines as that a/c in its later stages had a smooth finish and they can be sanded off).

Whatever, good luck with your project and I hope this helps.

John

Edited by biggles2000

Thanks John,

Early production, not the prototype. My subject line features the number K9787 which was the first production aircraft that went into service with 19 Squadron. This is the aircraft I would like to do as it first appeared. Although if easy (and looks that way) I'll keep it a later version with the 3 bladed prop and Merlin III. Were the canopies replaced during this aircraft's career?

John thanks again for your response. Very helpful.

Tony

K9787 was the first production airframe, but it never went to 19 Squadron; as far as I can see, according to Morgan/Shacklady, that was K9792.

K9787 spent its early career at Farnborough and Martlesham Heath, which included trials with 30 different fixed-pitch props. 11-7-1940 it was converted to a PR IIIC, and, after more trials, went to a PRU 1-6-41, FTR 30-6-41.

Edgar

Alternatively, rather than spend all the money upgrading the Tamiya kit, you could spend a bit more and buy the CMK Spitfire mk I which gives the bits for the early ones as standard - several different types of exhausts, three different props (and two of each) plus several canopies and decals. Not exactly a cheap kit mind, but probably the best you can get.