Tamiya 1/48 Mustang P-51D

Osher

OK folks, this is my first attempt at a Tamiya 1/48 P-51D Mustang. I'm doing it in BMF/OD, but really want this one to come across as, well, good! The only AM is some seatbelts. As a primer I'm using Humbrol no.21. Hope you like?

DSC_0004.jpg

Abandoned, at least for now this project. The black had a problem. What looked like tiny tiny bubbles appeared, on some places, especially the port wing. I tried sanding it down, and re-spraying, but to no avail, I just made the finish look worse. So, out with Strip a kit, and took off most of the offending paint. Now I tried again, but with Humbrol 191, to see what it would look like. The areas I'd tried to fix looked terrible, meanwhile, some of the strip a kit had managed to get inside the canopy, then the gun sight fell off (along with the windscreen). Strewth! Left it now, not in the mood to complete.

DSC_0016.jpg

Sometimes best to walk away Osher and have a break from it. I have an F-4 the fit was awful the paint went wrong I put it to one side oly now some six month later do I feel like digging it out and stripping it etc
That's a good idea! Thanks! I'm actually thinking of re-doing it in RAF colours, using the Airfix decal sheet. Being camo, it will hide the worst effects of my attempts, and it can then go to my Godson. Good luck with your F-4! Edited by Osher

Abandoned, at least for now this project. The black had a problem. What looked like tiny tiny bubbles appeared, on some places, especially the port wing. I tried sanding it down, and re-spraying, but to no avail, I just made the finish look worse. So, out with Strip a kit, and took off most of the offending paint. Now I tried again, but with Humbrol 191, to see what it would look like. The areas I'd tried to fix looked terrible, meanwhile, some of the strip a kit had managed to get inside the canopy, then the gun sight fell off (along with the windscreen). Strewth! Left it now, not in the mood to complete.

Bad luck with the paint Osher,

from your description of localised bubbles in the paint during the drying process I would guess that you might have had some (invisible)finger prints on the bare plastic in those areas.

The natural oils in your skin prevent the paint sticking to the kit and results in those bubbles you refer to- if you're right handed the port wing would be a convenient place to hold the kit whilst working on it.

You may want to consider for the future using latex (surgical) gloves when handling the kit or maybe just giving the kit a wash and rinse in some mild detergent before you paint to get any oils or grease from the build process of the kit.

I have had a couple of occurences of this problem in the past and now give the assembled kit a quick bath in water and fairy liquid, let it dry thoroughly and then I keep handling the model to a bare minimum before I give it the first coat.

Best of luck when you get your muse back!

Troffa

Osh,

Get hold of the Black alclad paint. No need for thinning and goes on a treat.

How was lunch with your young friend?

Bye bye

Bob

Ayup Osher,

Take heart mate. This bad luck gives you a chance to correct a few things.

Most of the wing panels were filled. On the upper wing, only the gun panels and the outer wing panel showed (wing tips were removed when the airframes were shipped to the UK). On the lower wing, the fuel tank panel lines and outer wing panels showed.

With the exception of the flaps, the wings were painted with a silver/aluminium paint. Some preserved aircraft have been stripped and are all NMF and show panel lines because the filler has been removed.

Regards,

Dave.

Edited by Dave Gibson

Bad luck with the paint Osher,

from your description of localised bubbles in the paint during the drying process I would guess that you might have had some (invisible)finger prints on the bare plastic in those areas.

The natural oils in your skin prevent the paint sticking to the kit and results in those bubbles you refer to- if you're right handed the port wing would be a convenient place to hold the kit whilst working on it.

I think you're right.  Someone else said the same thing to me.  Oh well, one learns by one's mistakes.  You're idea of washing the kit makes sense, but, I think I'll try and be more careful going forward.  Funny thing is, I've been spraying for at least 5 years, and not (to my knowledge) had this before.  Must have been a hot day!  Would wiping the kit with kitchen tissue alleviate the oils issue?

Ayup Osher,

Take heart mate. This bad luck gives you a chance to correct a few things.

Most of the wing panels were filled. On the upper wing, only the gun panels and the outer wing panel showed (wing tips were removed when the airframes were shipped to the UK). On the lower wing, the fuel tank panel lines and outer wing panels showed.

With the exception of the flaps, the wings were painted with a silver/aluminium paint. Some preserved aircraft have been stripped and are all NMF and show panel lines because the filler has been removed.

Regards,

Dave.

Seriously?  They filled in the panel lines?  Strewth!  Thanks for that info.  Funny to get an ayup from Amman though...! :)

I think you're right.  Someone else said the same thing to me.  Oh well, one learns by one's mistakes.  You're idea of washing the kit makes sense, but, I think I'll try and be more careful going forward.  Funny thing is, I've been spraying for at least 5 years, and not (to my knowledge) had this before.  Must have been a hot day!  Would wiping the kit with kitchen tissue alleviate the oils issue?

Hi Osher,

I think that wiping the kit with tissue would help, and perhaps using a different "hotter" paint would help as well.

alclad with its high solvent content would probably cut through any oils on the kit but I dont use it often. Humbrol is a fairly benign enamel and needs a well prepared surface to adhere to.

I use the GSi range of laquers, "Mr Color" and they go on beautifully, but the high solvent content means they smell bad and are not very nice to the human body if you dont wear a proper resperator and spray in a well ventilated area. Plus and minus on all counts.

Best of luck with your future builds.

cheers,

troffa

Hi Osher,

I think that wiping the kit with tissue would help, and perhaps using a different "hotter" paint would help as well.

alclad with its high solvent content would probably cut through any oils on the kit but I dont use it often. Humbrol is a fairly benign enamel and needs a well prepared surface to adhere to.

I use the GSi range of laquers, "Mr Color" and they go on beautifully, but the high solvent content means they smell bad and are not very nice to the human body if you dont wear a proper resperator and spray in a well ventilated area. Plus and minus on all counts.

Best of luck with your future builds.

cheers,

troffa

Thanks Troffa!  I'm working on a few bits, so let's see what happens.  Good luck with your builds too...  Osher

Seriously?  They filled in the panel lines?  Strewth!  Thanks for that info.  Funny to get an ayup from Amman though...! :)

Ayup Osher,

Those Nips copy everything hence the panel lines as they used a restored machine to base their moulds. On the Beaufighter, they even copied the patches that covered battle damage. So all those Mustangs you see with beautifully accented wing panel lines are about as incorrect as you can get.

As for the ayup, we Northerners are working all over the world. Our ultimate aim is world domination.

Dave.