Hawker Hurricane frame

chuck faison

Hello all, Am planing to build the back half of the hurricane airfrane (see page 57 aero detail)and mate it up to the hasagawa model in 1/48 scale.So it would be a finished aircraft from behind the cockpit to the prop.With wings attached and the back half being refinished.What color would the bare frame be painted? I guess zink cromate,? Or forget it and build another zero.I have the new tamiya and it is a great looking kit in the box..Thanks guys,,chuck

The rear section was a framework, of tubular metal, with wooden formers added, then wooden longerons added to them. For sure the metal framework would have been interior grey-green (definitely not zinc chromate,) and, when Duxford rebuilt Shuttleworth's Sea Hurricane, the formers were painted green, as well. When I saw it, the longerons had been left in natural wood, but could (should?) have been painted green, later. There might have been small amounts of red dope, which seeped through the linen, onto the wood, but it probably wouldn't have been consistent, since the standard scheme (Z) was for two coats of half-strength dope, followed by three normal coats, followed by one coat of silver. I would expect the wood to have been sanded down smooth, and repainted, as well.

Edgar

The rear section was a framework, of tubular metal, with wooden formers added, then wooden longerons added to them. For sure the metal framework would have been interior grey-green (definitely not zinc chromate,) and, when Duxford rebuilt Shuttleworth's Sea Hurricane, the formers were painted green, as well. When I saw it, the longerons had been left in natural wood, but could (should?) have been painted green, later. There might have been small amounts of red dope, which seeped through the linen, onto the wood, but it probably wouldn't have been consistent, since the standard scheme (Z) was for two coats of half-strength dope, followed by three normal coats, followed by one coat of silver. I would expect the wood to have been sanded down smooth, and repainted, as well.

Edgar

Thank you Edgar,I hope I am not biting off more than I can chew.Glad to know that the formers were wood.I planed only building the tube part of the frame but may go for more, if I can take the stress..thanks again,,chuck

Just to confirm what you now already know-

have checked in "Hawker Hurricane Inside and Out" by Melvyn Hiscox with plenty of colour pics from the Hawker Restoration Company.

the frames are cockpit grey green- blimey they must get through a heck of a lot of tins of humbrol 78.

These may help you, I took them at Coningsby, but from the other side of the fence so to speak. COPYRIGHT on all Images retained by me you may use them for personal use only.

Hurri.jpg

HurriCockpit.jpg

HurriDepanelled.jpg

HurriDepanelledLeft.jpg

Hurrifront.jpg

Hurrifrontright.jpg