Tiger Mirage 2000C

Seamus

Carrying on with the jets then, here's my next build

DSCF5320.jpg

As usual I'll be building OOB. The kit only comes with decals for the aircraft shown on the box, but you can't go too far wrong with a tiger scheme :lol:

Having had a quick look through the sprues, seems a pretty decent kit so hopefully will build up into a nice little model.

Now, looking ahead, I'm not quite sure what greys to use for the main camo and nose radome, (typically, Revell's instructions are of no use!) so any advice here would be much appreciated :)

Have made a start, but will post some preogress shots when its worth it

Cheers

Shaun :)

Cheers for the links fellas :thumbsup:

Seems I'm gonna have to mix up the grey :raincloud:

That said, having converted the xtracolors he used into Humbrol, I'm not sure if its too light :hmmm: In the past, I've used Hu 128.....don't suppose anyone knows if I can get away with using this?

Ok, well it seems xtracolor do have both the blue and grey in their colour range, so looks like I'll be picking a couple of tins up at Duxford in a couple of weeks :)

In the meantime, I've got the cockpit painted and assembled

DSCF5321.jpg

DSCF5322.jpg

Its pretty simplistic stuff; I sanded the moulded belts from the back of the seat and added some belts from Tamiya tape. Overall, its not my best effort on a pit, but then again I doubt much will be seen once its all closed up anyways....thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it :wicked:

Just a case of getting the fuselage closed up and the bulk of the construction completed in p[reparation for any filling needed.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

The light grey is Light Ghost/Compass Grey. The Blue is a funny colour - Xtracolour is too grey, and most of the other "out of the tin" colours are too blue. I found a 50:50 mix of (I think) Hu144 and Hu147 is about right

Interesting.......I had originally planned to use Hu 144 for the blue, lightening it a bit, so thats all good.

As for the grey, Hu 127 or Hu 128, or somewhere in between should be a pretty good match then....

Cheers for that Nev :thumbsup2:

OK time for an update; progress has been a bit slow as I'm spending more time working on the Harrier as well as this. The main construction has been completed- a fairly quick job as once the fuselage halves were joined, there was only the wings and intakes to add. The fit wasn't overly brilliant, and this was probably made worse by some shoddy workmanship on my part :banghead: As a result, there was a fair bit of filling and sanding needed. So, here's where she's at.

DSCF5336.jpg

The wing roots needed a touch of milliput just to smooth the joins in. The same goes for the fuselage/intakes join. Much worse was the join between the underside of the intakes and the underside of the fuselage/wing.

DSCF5337.jpg

A sizeable step was left on both sides, which I've attempted to fair in with milliput. Hopefully once its primed, a nice join will be revealed though I fear the worst :( The wing/fuselage join on the underside was another bad one, which I've seemingly forgotten to fill :doh: So a bit more work needed there. I've also filled in the fuselage and inboard pylon locations as I don't want it to be all tooled up- it's more of a display aircraft in reality so wouldn't look right.

So, I'd say its a case of a bit more filling and sanding before getting the canopy masked and completing the construction in preparation for a coat of primer.

Thanks for looking, comments, criticism and general ridicule welcomed :lol:

Cheers

Cheers gents :)

Peri, I've been unhappy with the pit all along, but couldn't wuite put my finger on it :hmmm: I reckon you've spotted the problme- the belts are going on a diet :lol:

Cheers

Haha, been busy with the Harrier on the go, which is pretty time intensive. Don't worry though, I'll try and keep the updates coming when I can ;)

Funnily enough, this Mirage will be replacing an old Airfix build in my collection. From my experience of both, the Revell kit is far better. As for accuracy? They both look like an M2000, which is good enough for me :)

Hmmm, depends on how you define accuracy - if no cockpit or wheel well detail and 6 inch high raised panel lines don't matter then maybe so! :D
Funnily enough, this Mirage will be replacing an old Airfix build in my collection. From my experience of both, the Revell kit is far better. As for accuracy? They both look like an M2000, which is good enough for me :)

I agree totally with the quality, but the shape is wrong on the italeri/revell. Italeri got confused in the length issue by assuming the length did not include the pilot tube, which it did :doh: resulting in a stretched design, i.e wings far to great a sweep angle, nose "off" aswell. But yes the heller is a dog of a kit.

Edited by alrite

Ok, bit more progress, which has been slow as I hate filling/sanding :angry:

Got the canopy and additional bits and bobs glued on before shooting some primer to see how the joins are. I've used Hu 196, which is probably a bit light, but I was being lazy as I was spraying it on my Harrier at the same time. Apologies for the pants pics :blush:

DSCF5340.jpg

DSCF5341.jpg

I'm getting frustrated with the holes for the inner pylons; I've given them 3 or four layers of milliput now, but each time I sand back, I'm still left with an indentation. Either I'm being a total tool and sanding too far, or the new layer is not adhering to the intial rough filling of the hole and is shearing straight off when I sand. Either way, I'm going to have to refill them again and be more attentive when I sand back. A touch of filler is needed around the rear of the canopy as well, but everything else seems to be Ok I think so hopefully I'll be able to get a preshade on pretty soon and crack on with the camo

Comments welcome

Cheers

And then there was paint!

Finally got through the sanding/filling stage of the build and have made a start on painting by giving the Mirage a preshade.

DSCF5342.jpg

DSCF5343.jpg

Hopefully be able to kick on with this one now and get the camo done over the next day or so

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Right then, camo is on :D I used Hu 127 for the grey, and for the blue, I lightened Hu 144 with Hu 196 until it looked about right. The colours might not be spot on, but they're close enough for me :)

DSCF5347.jpg

DSCF5348.jpg

DSCF5349.jpg

The shot of the underside shows the preshade to be a little too evident, so I'll lightly spray over to soften the effect a bit. I've also got to spray the U/C doors as I forgot the first time round :banghead: All that remains of the paintwork is to spray the nose radome. However, I'm still unsure what colour this should be. The instructions recommend medium grey, but we all know how reliable they are :whistle:

Looking at this photo, the radome seems to be closer to Medium Sea Grey to my eye, but I'd appreciate some input from those of you in the know ;)

Comment welcome as always

Cheers

Nice job on the camo, I think it looks spot on certainly in these conditions ;

http://www.airliners.net/photo/France---Ai...next_id=1299456

http://www.airliners.net/photo/France---Ai...next_id=1299456

About the radar, I think it varies like the F-16/Tornado F3's radar coatings do, If it was me as long as you are in the medium grey region it would be fine. You could always paint it black like the early M2000's aswell :shrug: