E-767

Nev

Obligatory box-top photo (nice painting too B) )

boctop.jpg

Check out that interior detail! :D

interior.jpg

(hey, its 1/200. Who's ever going to see in there?)

The Matchbox panel lines guy appears to have found employment in Japan....

panellines.jpg

These would be overscale in 1/32, let alone 1/200. They will be filled in.

Not many pieces to this kit, and a simple scheme. Apart from all the PSR, this should be a real quick build :)

ip1.jpg

Boy! I didn't think that Hasegawa 1/200 kits were that bad for trenches. I have built a couple of 747s and they didn't seem to be like that!

I have plans of doing this one in 1/144 with the Revell kit and a borrowed dome from their E-3 kit. I will watch with great interest to see how you tackle this very complex looking kit :D

I *think* the Revell 767 is the wrong variant - fuselage wrong length.

EDIT: The E767 is a 767-200ER, the Revell kit is a 767-300

Edited by Nev

• 4 weeks later...

Painted the leading edges using Citadel Miniatures "Mithril Silver" and masked using *Tamiya* masking tape - my first time using this product and infinitely superior to every other masking tape I have ever used. NO bleeding underneath the tape at all. Now I see why everyone raves about it.

Masking tape removed, et voila!

ip6.jpg

ip7.jpg

I'm umming and ahhing about the cockpit. I was going to paint them gloss black, but now I'm leaning towards cutting out little squares of black decal - easier to correct if (when) it goes wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking to get the decals on tonight - in the meantime I have a problem with the radome. I sprayed Halfords gloss black, but unfortunately I've got some crazy cracking going on - I had a similar problem when I used Halfords gloss black on my tiger-striped TSR2, so clearly there's an issue here. Looks like I'm going to have to sand this off and use a different black...

ip8.jpg

As promised, did the decalling last night whilst watching the UEFAthon on Channel5.

You may notice that I have left the windscreen decals till last - never let it be said that I put off till tomorrow the things I don't want to do today!

ip9.jpg

ip10.jpg

ip12.jpg

JASDF fans will also notice that I have chosen the markings of the 1st E-767 when it was being flown by the Air Proving Wing, and not its service squadron 601 Hikotai. As a confirmed whiffer, those Bat squadron markings are far too valuable to waste on a real subject! :D

I'd missed this one until now... it's looking rather nice! Can't believe you've only just started using Tamiya tape :rolleyes:

What is that Halfords Black you are using? Is it an acrylic one, or cellulose? If it's Cellulose that'll be why your acrylic underneath it is going crazed or worse.

Karl.

I'd missed this one until now... it's looking rather nice! Can't believe you've only just started using Tamiya tape :rolleyes:

Well, they don't sell it in my LHS, and I only picked some up cos I wanted some thinner tape than I already had...

What is that Halfords Black you are using? Is it an acrylic one, or cellulose? If it's Cellulose that'll be why your acrylic underneath it is going crazed or worse.

Dunno :shrug: What I do know is that after I sanded it down and painted it with Humbrol gloss black I dropped it on the bench!! :doh: So it got covered in dust and bits of plastic. So I sanded it down again, painted it again AND DROPPED IT AGAIN!!!! :doh: :doh: :doh:

That radome is cursed I tells ya!

However, I have managed to hand paint the windscreen, and make quite a good fist of it, even if I do say so myself.

All done! E-767, 501 (first one delivered) as it appeared in the markings of the Air Proving Wing at Gifu AB before entering operational service.

final2.jpg

final3.jpg

final4.jpg

Some-one on ARC asked for a picture with an everyday object as a size reference, so here you go

final1.jpg

final5.jpg

final6.jpg

final7.jpg

final8.jpg