Tiger Force Lancaster

billb

I shelled out for the standard 1/72 Hasegawa Lancaster (P-OS) a while ago and recently (articles in Model Aircraft Monthly June) decided I really liked the white on black Tiger Force scheme. Unfortunately the standard kit doesn't have all the necessary's to build that scheme & I can;t justify the money to buy the post-war Lanc version of the kit.

Decals I can get from Xtradecal. The rudders on the aircraft from the Xtradecal sheet seem to be the early Lancaster style rather than the Lincoln style which is fine as they are in the kit. The twin tail Browning guns themselves are also in the kit.

However - the tail turret is not the appropriate style (FN-82??)

Are there any aftermarket turrets of the appropriate style around that someone can point me to?

Also, are there any other obvious bits that I need to add & if so are they available as aftermarket?

TIA

Bill

I suspect that (real) Tiger Force Lancs would have had the Martin top turret too. That at least is readily available in other kits or Falcon transparencies. I don't know of any RAF twin-fifty tail turrets: I'd like to have the very similar BP turret for a post-war Hali. It might be possible to get close by cutting away the side of an FN 20 and plunge-moulding a new centre piece. That or write lots of begging letters to John Adams.

Falcon do a set of canopies which includes Lancaster canopy and turrets, including rear turret for twin .50 caliber guns. Can't remember which of their many sets it is.

Edited by tompot

I shelled out for the standard 1/72 Hasegawa Lancaster (P-OS) a while ago and recently (articles in Model Aircraft Monthly June) decided I really liked the white on black Tiger Force scheme. Unfortunately the standard kit doesn't have all the necessary's to build that scheme & I can;t justify the money to buy the post-war Lanc version of the kit.

Decals I can get from Xtradecal. The rudders on the aircraft from the Xtradecal sheet seem to be the early Lancaster style rather than the Lincoln style which is fine as they are in the kit. The twin tail Browning guns themselves are also in the kit.

However - the tail turret is not the appropriate style (FN-82??)

Are there any aftermarket turrets of the appropriate style around that someone can point me to?

Also, are there any other obvious bits that I need to add & if so are they available as aftermarket?

TIA

Bill

A resin turret for the twin Browning guns is available in one of the Paragon resin sets for 100 Group aircraft.

PAR72041.JPG

The turret is to the lower right in the picture and the corresponding clear part at the top. The set, PAR72041, is available from Hannants at £ 7.25.

Edited by Sten Ekedahl

Thanks all :)

Graham - I'm looking at doing T-LC from the Xtradecal post war lancs sheet which is a Mk1 (FE) with the original dorsal turret which is good.

Tompot - looks like that's the option so far thankyou :)

Stan - I found that Paragon set earlier but there seems to be a bit of confusion as to which turret it is. If anyone knows it would be most appreciated...

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=162367

"Bill,

I don't have that set, but if it is a WWII two gun turret, then it is probably the Rose turret. Not the same as the FN 82. They are for 101 Sq. Lancasters.

Not part of 100 Group, 101 Squadron also flew with ABC (Airborne Cigar) communications jammers. Those are the tall antennas on the fuselage. They had the Rose turrets. 635 SQ flew the very rare B VI with Merlin 85s. Used as Master Bombers and high altitude spoofers. Details of antennas are still sketchy, as far as I know. This is from M. Streetly The Aircraft of 100 Group. Sorry.

Best wishes,

Grant"

Edited by billb