Scaling down...

Now for something completely different!

Heller 1/144 E-2c Hawkeye. Lovely little kit( and yes I know its been surpassed by the Revell offering before you all start shouting! :angrysoapbox.sml: )

Aside from the rivets covering the airframe and the awfully oversized moulded in undercarriage doors, its great!

hawkeye002.jpg

The pilots are being painted and they will be added next. Nice little cockpit interior as you can see, this is OOB btw.

Only filler I've used is on one of the engine nacelles joint to the lower wing on one side only, and what you can see here ready for sanding. pretty good for an old(ish) kit I reckon.

hawkeye001.jpg

Seems a shame that the radar dish in this kit has beautifully restrained engraved panel lines and the rest of the airframe is covered in rivets :shithappens: .

hawkeye004.jpg

There is a section of aircraft carrier deck included in this set too, with good decals for the markings on the flight deck, no deck crew unfortunately, though a tractor and raised blast deflector are included.

hawkeye003.jpg

hawkeye005.jpg

:blink:

Theres two?! :o

Yep :D Mikeew uses the same handle he has over on ARC, I was mikeiw, and now I use my privilege of being the first member here (for obvious reasons ;) ) to use my given name, Mike.... well - it says Michael on my birth certificate, but we're all friends here :lol:

Yep :D Mikeew uses the same handle he has over on ARC, I was mikeiw, and now I use my privilege of being the first member here (for obvious reasons ;) ) to use my given name, Mike.... well - it says Michael on my birth certificate, but we're all friends here :lol:

Ah yes, that clears up the hazy area a little :D

Will try not to confuse you two again...:shithappens:

Right, now we all know which Mike is which here :pray: ,

the build continues....

Canopy was a reasonable fit as you can see, I had to do some VERY careful filling and sanding to blend it in without scratching the clear panels, I hope I achieved it!

Masking was easier than I had anticipated, looked kinda fun trying to get the tape on those little windows. I'm enjoying the change of pace with this litlle beauty.

The two handles either side, just aft and below the cockpit are, as far as I can tell, unique to the French vresion of the Hawkeye. Kit bits are supplied but are vastly out of scale, so I replaced them with some thin wire. Probably still vastly overscale but they're atleast half the thickness of the plastic bits!

The nose piece is all clear and needs to have the lower window masked off before painting, the rest can be sanded away to fair it in to the fuselage ...which is just as well :P

The two white dots are where they supply little antenna, again way overscale, so I glued them in then sliced them off and filled the rest of the huge holes with tipp-ex and sanded smooth, I'll replace them with more suitable scale wire

Copyofhawkeye006.jpg

Edited by mikeew

• 2 weeks later...

Hawkeye has paint...

All joints look good which is nice. Just need to mask those damn black edges along the wing/tail leading edges.

hawkeye007.jpg

hawkeye008.jpg

Also got the undercarriage done and the props painted too.

hawkeye009.jpg

dammit!! just remembered I forgot to paint the radome dish whilst I had the Ghost Grey in the airbrush :banghead:

I painted the black edges freehand using the raised panel lines on the kit as a guide, when thinned the matt black paint flowed easily along them with capillary action, no mean feat using a 3/000 brush.

Decalling was uneventful, which is a blessing in this small scale. I used Klear under/over decals

The prop warning lines aft of the cockpit on the fuselage were a bit tricky, but they are now in the wrong place i.e.too far aft. Trying to get them to move was impossible due to the huge amount of surface detail in the form of rivets, so there they will stay.

I used Aeroclub rigging thread stretched quite taut for the aerial wires, waaaaay over scale, but better than nothing and a lot easier than trying to strecth sprue thin enough and then trying to get it to stick, the antenna were made from wire, thiner than the chunky kit supplied items.

Next up, mattcote and weathering.

hawkeye010.jpg

hawkeye013.jpg