Jen's Japanese Builds

desmojen

Here's my build thread. The main official unofficial entry is this Fujimi 1/48 Mitsubishi F-1. I got it for £5 (!) at the Avon show. If the guy I bought it off see's this....thanks!

331064380.jpg

This will be pretty much OOB, I might spruce the cockpit up a bit, or I might not :shrug: It will be in markings as per box art though.

The other build I would like to post updates on, but not necessarily officially enter is this,

331064413.jpg

Hasegawa 1/48 F-15DJ. This is a limited boxing that I got from HLJ. Now, I know it's half done, but so far it has taken about a year and a half :lol: On that basis, the likelihood of it getting finished in the next 90 days is quite slim!

Jen.

Yep, interested to see what you're doing with the DJ. Have you got the proper burner cans for it?

It's this kit.

09620.jpg

Nice scheme huh? It will look sweet with my already made dragon one :D

As for burner cans, er, I have the ones in the kit..... :dunce:

Jen.

Edited by desmojen

Personally, I've always found that scheme a little gaudy ;)

As for the burner cans - early F-15s had them covered with "Turkey Feathers" (struggling to find a decent pic, this is the Aries set)

AIRE4125.JPG

But then they were removed (mid 80s?) to save weight and ease maintainence

f15%20turkey%20feathers.jpg

The 1/48 kit comes with the early version - although I have heard that there are boxings with the proper set. 1/72 kit comes with late version. Aries do a very nice set

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=AIRE4336

Your bird has these later ones

0737Special.jpg

btw if you want more pics, let me know, I've got about a dozen of this particular F-15.

As an aside on Hasegawa 1/48 Eagles, the only kits that still have the feathered cans are the P series kits like P10, the first Strike Eagle kit, the firs J and B/D kits as well.

ALL of the newer releases have both sets of cans in them.

I own EVERY Hasegawa Eagle kit boxing and can verify if you have any questions. Also, if anyone needs info on Eagles I spent a LOT of time around them.

Cheers

Mike

PS Jen, I cant wait to see your FUGLY one built up!! :)

I have made a tentative start on the Mitsi. I chopped off the cockpit parts and sat them on the table, somewhat in horror at how, er, detailed they are!

331606534.jpg

I was considering jazzing it up a bit, but faced with the magnitude of the task I started scanning around for alternatives. The seat is sorted via our very kind host, Mr Mike Reeves, thankyou Mike :yahoo:

I then went scrabbling through my jet spares box for some ideas on the tub and IP. I stumbled across a spare two seat tub from the Academy kit that I used for my Shiro Ryu build (the Academy kit has options for both single and twin seat jets in the kit) About ten minutes later, after some snipping and taping, I had this!

331606563.jpg

Pretty cool huh! Ok, I know it's not an F-1 cockpit, but who's going to know? I won't tell if you don't :winkgrin:

Jen.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more on this, I now have the fuselage together, filled and sanded. The fit was basically very sound, most of the problems I did have being down to me not watching where I was holding it when the glue was setting! :lol:

332742541.jpg

The supermassivegreatbig fin is fitted too. It had a small gap along the bottom but that was easily sorted.

The new cockpit tub was extended upwards at the back and then a parcel shelf made from plastic card was added. I also extended the coaming past the top of the dashboard and made a pretend HUD to sit on it. It's lower than I would have liked but that is necessary to allow it to clear the windscreen (I actually remembered to check!) You can also see the new stick in the top picture, it's robbed from an F-18 kit and extended to suit with a bit of plastic rod.

The new seat which is much, much, much, much better than the original is just placed in the cockpit for effect right now :D

I'll take a closer pic of the cockpit in the daylight tomorrow, the flash just over exposed everything :shrug:

Jen.

Edited by desmojen

Marching on with this, I now have the main construction essentially done.

333553943.jpg

No real problems to report, I trimmed the wings a little to get smaller gaps. The intakes are a good example of how to do it right, Italeri and Airfix take note! I had a bit of rescribing to do on the wings which I did before I fitted them because a lot of the panel lines on this kit are raised. I basically rescribed the ones I knew would get damaged and left the rest alone. The undercarriage is one of the fiddliest things I've ever seen, which is why I fitted it all before paint, using plastic cement for strength. I seriously doubt that superglued painted joints would hold up.

I will bang a coat of Mr Base White on there tomorrow to see how much more work I need to do on the seams. I'm not too sure on the underside colour either because the instructions say it is H316 (White) in one place and H57 (Grey) in another :shrug:

Does anyone know which it should be?

Jen.

Edited by desmojen

Double update today! First off, progress on the Mitsi.

334226040.jpg

As you can see, all primed. I've used Mr Base White for the initial primer coat. I have now rubbed it down where necessary and fitted a HUD glass and the windscreen. The fit of the windscreen is less than grand, but a whole lot better than the fit of the main canopy which is absolutely horrendous!

334226041.jpg

I didn't want the canopy open, not least becuase the interior detail isn't great. Seeing this though makes me think I might have to :undecided:

Progress on the F-15 is slightly more gladdening. I sprayed the two tone greys where necessary using Gunze acrylic H307 and 308 as detailed in the instructions. I then set about masking up for the black and white areas. It was at about this point that I was glad I bought several rolls of Tamiya tape for £1 each from HLJ last time!

334226046.jpg

334226044.jpg

In these photos the white is already on and I have masked for the black. Almost all of this is actually on the decal sheet but you do have to paint some of it. I thought it might be easier and give a more consistent result if I just painted all of it. Took a really long time to mask it all though and some of it was a bit tricky :lol:

334226043.jpg

334226042.jpg

I'm leaving that to set up nicely before a couple of coats of Klear to seal it all together ready for some decalling. Of course, there is a ton of other stuff that will need painting up as well like tailfins and tailplanes, main canopy, pylons, fuel tanks - all sorts!

Jen.

I think they look dangly. Gaudy is good, in it's place.

But I have question: Can you say "Jap?" I've gotten hell for it before. One must be PC, you know...