Spitfire interior help needed

mungo1974

You might struggle to find any IXs in service, that late; they'd mostly been replaced by the XVI. The red seat stayed in use right through to the 24, with (very) occasional metal seats, which were probably still green. There might have been more metal seats, on late Seafires, but there aren't many to look at!

In August 1946 the Sutton harness was replaced by the QS, which did away with the "Y" part, behind the seat, and became just four. The shoulder straps remained the same, going through the bulkhead, then joining together, with the retaining cable (about 6" behind the headrest) disappearing down the fuselage, to its anchor point. The two lapstraps were moved back, to the bottom corners of the seat, so that they came over the pilot's hips; one had a parachute-type box attached, into which the other three straps clipped. By then the straps seem to have been a medium blue.

In January 1950 the QS was replaced by the ZB, which had the same four straps, but the shoulder straps went through a roller-type bracket, behind the pilot's neck, then dived down, behind the seat, to be anchored at the base of the bulkhead. This was, presumably, because the fuselage tank got in the way, and it was only meant to apply to the XIV, XVI, XVIII, XIX, 21, 22 & 24. In practice, I think that only the 22 & 24, plus Seafires, had them.

Edgar

You might struggle to find any IXs in service, that late; they'd mostly been replaced by the XVI. The red seat stayed in use right through to the 24, with (very) occasional metal seats, which were probably still green. There might have been more metal seats, on late Seafires, but there aren't many to look at!

In August 1946 the Sutton harness was replaced by the QS, which did away with the "Y" part, behind the seat, and became just four. The shoulder straps remained the same, going through the bulkhead, then joining together, with the retaining cable (about 6" behind the headrest) disappearing down the fuselage, to its anchor point. The two lapstraps were moved back, to the bottom corners of the seat, so that they came over the pilot's hips; one had a parachute-type box attached, into which the other three straps clipped. By then the straps seem to have been a medium blue.

In January 1950 the QS was replaced by the ZB, which had the same four straps, but the shoulder straps went through a roller-type bracket, behind the pilot's neck, then dived down, behind the seat, to be anchored at the base of the bulkhead. This was, presumably, because the fuselage tank got in the way, and it was only meant to apply to the XIV, XVI, XVIII, XIX, 21, 22 & 24. In practice, I think that only the 22 & 24, plus Seafires, had them.

Edgar

Thanks for the info Edgar!

My Spit IX will be foreign,maybe Israeli or Egyptian unless i find another scheme before it becomes time to paint..LOL

The seat issue confused me as i thought they were still red/brown but the instructions on the PCM 1/32 would have paint it green..

cheers,

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Edgar

Hi Edgar,

The Spitfire LF.XVIe at the Museum Of Flight at East Fortune has the final type type of harness anchored at back of seat so they were fitted. I have a pic of it somewhere at home, which I could scan in sometime next week (as I'm off camping at Glenmore in the Cairngorms this weekend :) )

Andy

Edited by andym