On the workbench - L-1049G

Jesse1

Here is an update. After 2 days of measuring, testing and fitting, there is no way these decals can be used. They were not done for this kit and the windows are an unsurmountable problem for me. I scanned them and and use cold assembly on the model and everything is mist aligned. Most of them end up in the middle of the scribing and since most of the scribing goes around the fuselage this means that the whole scribing would have to be filled up and re-done. There's no way in hell I'm about to do that.

So, when plan A fails, you go to plan B, model as soak in oven cleaner foam and all paint is gone. It will now be done in the TWA livery, it is a bit disappointing and putting it back in the box would be simpler but no pain, no gain, right!

Thanks to all of you for looking and following this, sorry about that, I was hopping to be much more advance by now but I guarantee you, I will finish it.

T/care

Jesse

Hi all,

Now, I'm on the right track. Windows and nose painted so as the engines and props, tomorrow the wings & engines should be attached.

BTW: If you guys think that I should post less in details, just knock on the door, no offense will be taken.

Ruben, since you seem to have a extensive library, would you mind looking if you can find pictures of TWA N7125C. I could not find any, it would be very appreciated.

Jesse

built11.jpg

built12-1.jpg

Hi Jesse,

I don't have any of N7125C, but a few other TWA L-1049G's in various books etc. Let

me know if you want me to scan these for you.

N7125C had an sad ending. She was leased to Iberia from TWA, when she crashed and

burned out at Barcelona, November 8th 1960.

Happy modelling,

Ruben

Hi Ruben,

Darn, that explains the lack of pictures alright. If you have some as close as you can get to that number it would be ok, both sides and especially the upper wings. I found the data on the crash, luckily there were no casualties. Thanks for the info :thumbsup2:

Jesse

Hi Ruben,

Thanks for the pictures, that will be a definite help. But now I have a question, if you look at the scan of the decals, there is that black & white stripe that goes on the wings as per the instructions, I have not seen that on any of them, is it possible that N7125C had those for some reasons? these seems to be replacing the traditional small black lines. Not that I mind at all, it just makes it different from the conventional ones but I prefer to be sure because once they are there, that's it.

wingdecal.jpg

T/care

Jesse

Hi Jesse, keep at it it WILL be worth the effort. Have a look at my 1\72 TWA Connie posted in Civil RFI (March 3rd) as it may help you with the wing painting. MODeller

Man, that is really, really nice. I just hope I will be close to that. Natural

metal stuff is not my strong point and I'll be using a new paint (Hawkeye's NMF

paint). I notice that parts of the wings are Grey, what color did you use? Is

that standard on these?

BTW: Thanks for the decal scan, that 737-800, looks real nice. Not sure if I'll do a second one, maybe, will keep you

posted.

T/care

Jesse

Hi Jesse, I used Light Aircraft Grey on the wing panels, Air Enthusiast 14 features the Connie and I used that for reference. The NMF is Alclad Chrome toned down slightly with a very light coat of Humbrol Satincote, this Alclad has made getting a metal finish so easy! No problems with the decals as I managed to get hold of a 737-800 with winglets myself, just could not resist that scheme! MODeller

Hi Jesse, I used Light Aircraft Grey on the wing panels, Air Enthusiast 14 features the Connie and I used that for reference. The NMF is Alclad Chrome toned down slightly with a very light coat of Humbrol Satincote, this Alclad has made getting a metal finish so easy! No problems with the decals as I managed to get hold of a 737-800 with winglets myself, just could not resist that scheme! MODeller

Thanks for the info, I don't have the silver from NMF so I'll use Aluminum. Have an idea about those B/W stripes? they surely did go to the trouble of doing them for nothing, but then again...

Jesse

Btw, some photos of the Connie you are making. All were shot after her crash. I cant recognize the stripes, but that area did burn fiercely and probably no paint remained. I'll check a few book refs later if i can find something there

http://www.aviationcorner.net/gallery.asp?...stration=N7125C

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?re...C&view=true

Btw, some photos of the Connie you are making. All were shot after her crash. I cant recognize the stripes, but that area did burn fiercely and probably no paint remained. I'll check a few book refs later if i can find something there

http://www.aviationcorner.net/gallery.asp?...stration=N7125C

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?re...C&view=true

P.S. I checked the photos in the Constellation book, and both shots featuring TWA's Super Connies show the stripes. However, these look solid to me, not dashed.

Hi Petr,

Thank you very much for the files, these are very good. You are right, the lines are solid in fact, it has both of them, the smaller ones with the V on the outer engines. I will be able to do those decals with my solid black sheet, I also notice that the de-icing section between the engines & fuselage is much smaller than the other ones! for whatever reasons. Just finished masking the Grey sections of the wings and they will be attached tomorrow, if time permits, she might get her first coat of paint tomorrow. long ways to go yet and I'll tell ya, I'm putting a lot of time on this one so it better come out right or I'll be really :rant: . More pictures to follow.

Thanks again for the files.

T/care

Jesse

Small update, wings are on and just bit of sanding to do and them and the fun really starts. By Sunday, a good part of the paint should be done. when i started this, I figured, hey, 2 weeks maybe 3 and done deal, yeah right.

built13.jpg

The best to come, I hope!

Jesse

Got some more done today, top white done as the black base to receive the aluminum tomorrow. As I said earlier, I will be using Hawkeye's Talon Acrylic NMF paints. This is suppose to be the acrylic counterpart of Alclad paint, so to you guys that use Alclad, I have a question, should I apply it directly on the flat black or come back with a gloss black or it wont change anything? Keep in mind that all of it will be masked, but then since the gloss will be over a dull surface it should stick. This is proving to more of a challenge that I taught.

Let me know.

Jesse

built16.jpg

built15.jpg

built14.jpg

Found the answer about the paint, it has to go on a flat surface. Found it a bit tricky but once the right compressor and airbrush opening are set it goes very well, compressor must be set at 18psi and the paint really has to be build up in light coats. To those that can't use Alclad, this is the definite answer. The finish is very nice, smooth and dries quickly but like all of these finishes, it is unforgiving to not perfect seems, I will have to work a bit on the wings/fuselage ones.

Pictures don't reflect how nice it is because of that stupid cheap camera but you will get the idea.

Jesse

built17.jpg

built18.jpg

built19.jpg

Basically the paint is all done, just a few things to fix like the line near the wing/fuselage, just a bit to high. All the de-icing will be done with decals from Liveries Unlimited which I should get this week, that will save lots of masking.

Thanks for looking.

Jesse

built20.jpg

built21.jpg

Got some more done, and it's starting to look like a Connie. Few more coats of Future to go on the white and will start with few decals tomorrow, maybe.

Question: Once all done, I would like to tone down the glare on it, I have Model Master flat clear finish, would there be a problem airbrushing a few thin coats over Future?

Thanks for answering.

Jesse

built22.jpg

Got some more done, and it's starting to look like a Connie. Few more coats of Future to go on the white and will start with few decals tomorrow, maybe.

Question: Once all done, I would like to tone down the glare on it, I have Model Master flat clear finish, would there be a problem airbrushing a few thin coats over Future?

Thanks for answering.

Jesse

Hi Jesse,

It looks really nice now !!. I wouldn't use any flat on the model, semigloss would be more than enough.

Happy modelling,

Ruben

www.lndecals.com

Jesse,

:sorry: I missed this one, normally I dont miss your airliners because you do them so well, but Im here now :lol: This is my fave propliner, got the old Heller 72nd inn the stash, one day I'll dig it out :lol: This old lady is looking mighty fine :worthy:

Thanks for sharing

Bex