On the workbench - L-1049G

Jesse1

Hi all,

For the first time, I'll try this post as you go thing and see how it goes. I choose a grand lady, the L-1049G Super Constellation. After looking at some pictures & videos, I have to admit she is quite special and unique, and the sound of those engines...

The kit is Revell 1/144 and the decals are from Whiskey Jack, she will be built OOB. The livery will be from World Wide Airways, a Canadian Co. that ceased operations many, many years ago. If you have any suggestions as I go, be my guest :)

Jesse

built3.jpg

72-025.jpg

built1.jpg

built2.jpg

Did cold assembly and the fit is very, very nice. Looks like it will need a good amount of weight in the nose cause it's real tail heavy. Not sure about the windows yet, I'll wait till I get the decals and see if I'll use them or leave the windows clear, what do you suggest?

Jesse

built4.jpg

Did cold assembly and the fit is very, very nice. Looks like it will need a good amount of weight in the nose cause it's real tail heavy. Not sure about the windows yet, I'll wait till I get the decals and see if I'll use them or leave the windows clear, what do you suggest?

Jesse

Go with the decals on this one Jesse, if only to maintain uniformity throughout your fleet of airliners.

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Yep, I think your right, I will use the decals. I usually fill them but the windows on the kit fills up the openings very well, so if I just slab the decals over them you think it would give some kind of perspective or should I just go and fill everything?

T/care

Jesse

Hi Chris,

Yep, I think your right, I will use the decals. I usually fill them but the windows on the kit fills up the openings very well, so if I just slab the decals over them you think it would give some kind of perspective or should I just go and fill everything?

T/care

Jesse

Hi Jesse

I would use the kit glazing to fill the holes, and fill any remaining gaps with liquid correction fluid. "Tippex"

Cheers Matey.

Chris.

Hi Chris,

I will use the windows and fill around them, I use glazing putty (for cars) outstanding stuff. Won't need much cause the fit is pretty tight. I haven't received the decals yet so don't know how they look. I hope he made them with the windows! or else I'll be deep in it.... Should get them this week. I don't know Tippex, what is it?

Bye,

Jesse

Hi everyone,

Bit of progress tonight, added weight to the nose, this was real tail heavy, if it wasn't that I need the car tomorrow, I would have put the car battery.... Fuselage glued and taped, the fit on this is fantastic, reminds me of Tamiya quality, so far no filler will be needed!

T/care

Jesse

built5.jpg

built6.jpg

Edited by Jesse1

Forgot to mention, the Connie's looking good. I have also just started this kit as a brief change from my normal 1:48 military fare - I had told myself firmly to build it in the kit makings, but the voices tell me: "C-121, Warning Star, ..." ;)

I shall watch this build with interest.

Forgot to mention, the Connie's looking good. I have also just started this kit as a brief change from my normal 1:48 military fare - I had told myself firmly to build it in the kit makings, but the voices tell me: "C-121, Warning Star, ..." ;)

I shall watch this build with interest.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info and the Connie, we have the same stuff here under a different name. A civie would be nice but then you know what they say about the ''inner voices...''

T/care

Jesse

Small update, got the decals today, they look real nice & fancy, real nice work of art. I was secretly hopping that the decals for the outer rudders would be there but there is only the insignia. Making the green to match the color of the decals will require a fair amount of mixing to get as close as possible, I'll worry about that when I get there.

Jesse

Small update, got the decals today, they look real nice & fancy, real nice work of art. I was secretly hopping that the decals for the outer rudders would be there but there is only the insignia. Making the green to match the color of the decals will require a fair amount of mixing to get as close as possible, I'll worry about that when I get there.

Jesse

As a big fan of everything Canadien, I'm really looking foreward to see this bird finished.

I have only used one of Whiskey Jack decals, the Nordair Arctic Short Skyvan in 1/72, and

those went on beautifull.

Do you know what has happen with Whiskey Jack and the man behind it , Gord Parker ??

I know that he got (to say it in a nice way) some serious delivery problems. But I really

miss the company. I have nearly all his decals in my collection, and there ar so many special

subjects that he made, that never anyone else would toutch. I hope soon to start with the

Kenting Aviation B-17 in 1/72.

Happy modelling,

Ruben Husberg

www.lndecals.com

As a big fan of everything Canadien, I'm really looking foreward to see this bird finished.

I have only used one of Whiskey Jack decals, the Nordair Arctic Short Skyvan in 1/72, and

Do you know what has happen with Whiskey Jack and the man behind it , Gord Parker ??

I know that he got (to say it in a nice way) some serious delivery problems. But I really

miss the company. I have nearly all his decals in my collection, and there ar so many special

subjects that he made, that never anyone else would toutch. I hope soon to start with the

Happy modelling,

Ruben Husberg

www.lndecals.com

Hi Ruben.

I used the Whiskey Jack decals on a CP Air 737-200 about 18 months ago for a friend of mine and they were very good.

I still have the Trans Canadian Vanguard and the Canadian Pacific Britannia to do.

Chris.

Happy modelling,

Ruben Husberg

www.lndecals.com

Hello Ruben,

Gordon is still 'missing' as far as I know, can't get any new stock (Russell at AHS in same position), so I'm selling off my remaining stock at 40% RRP to fund new stuff in my own range (which is how Jesse got the sheet). its a real shame as WJD have done well for me in the past, but he left me out of pocket after I trusting his word.

Colin

www.freightdogmodels.co.uk

Hi Colin,

I'm reading this and I have a real problem with people like that :rant: makes me think of another guy that screwed many modelers. When he gets out of his hole, he'll probably come back crying to you to forgive & forget... unless there's a damn good reason.

Jesse

BTW; Thanks Colin for the quick turn around. All received A1

Edited by Jesse1

Hello Ruben,

Gordon is still 'missing' as far as I know, can't get any new stock (Russell at AHS in same position), so I'm selling off my remaining stock at 40% RRP to fund new stuff in my own range (which is how Jesse got the sheet). its a real shame as WJD have done well for me in the past, but he left me out of pocket after I trusting his word.

Colin

www.freightdogmodels.co.uk

Hi Colin,

Yes, we were many that had the same experience, so I would never trust him a penny again.

But hopefully at least he will one day make artwork for others of those unique subjects of

canadien aviation.

Happy modelling,

Ruben Husberg

www.lndecals.com

Hi everyone,

Just a bit more, got pressured from the kids last night to go see the new Batman movie but did a bit anyway.

built7.jpg

All taped and ready for filler

built8.jpg

All windows filled

built9.jpg

Now, the part I like the most, sanding, yeah right :mental:

Sanding the windows & fuselage should be all done Saturday, then it's on to the wings. stay tuned.

Jesse

Edited by Jesse1

Hello everybody,

Ran into a few problems, this model has the long nose on it and it did not fit easily so I kind of forced it and glued it, I know, should have been in bed... so had fill a portion of it to get it back as it's suppose to. The other problem is the windows, this one came from Nordair and they had a different window arrangement on the left side, the decals are spot on but the kit is not, it has 18 windows on it but WWA had 16! I think they did that on purpose, just to get back at me... but the right side is OK.

Painting will be a bit of a challenge cause the cheat line goes up near the tail and is very thin, don't know yet how I will go about this, any suggestions will be welcomed, just knew it, it was too good to be true. Pictures when I fix all of this.

T/care

Jesse

Always nice to see a Connie !! Pretty sure i have CF - RNR in my spotters log years ago at Gatwick along with a Wardair example, also sure of seeing a Capitol Airways bird too, aaahh the days of real aeroplanes !! :analintruder:

Always nice to see a Connie !! Pretty sure i have CF - RNR in my spotters log years ago at Gatwick along with a Wardair example, also sure of seeing a Capitol Airways bird too, aaahh the days of real aeroplanes !! :analintruder:

Yeah, I hear ya loud & clear, and what about that cabin service on those Wardair flights, man, if you'd ask them a bedtime story they probably would have done it...

About CF-RNR, all I could find is a not so good picture taken about 200 years ago,.. Would you have any pictures of it? It would make an old man happy.

T/care

Jesse

Yeah, I hear ya loud & clear, and what about that cabin service on those Wardair flights, man, if you'd ask them a bedtime story they probably would have done it...

About CF-RNR, all I could find is a not so good picture taken about 200 years ago,.. Would you have any pictures of it? It would make an old man happy.

T/care

Jesse

Hi Jesse,

I'm pretty sure that I have a colour photo of this bird in Larry Milberry's great books about

aviation in Canada. This is a massive two bind book with more than 1000 photos and is my

favourite book amongst the hundreds I have about civil aviation.

I will check when I'm home from my oilrig.

Happy modelling,

Ruben

www.lndecals.com

Hello everybody,

Painting will be a bit of a challenge cause the cheat line goes up near the tail and is very thin, don't know yet how I will go about this, any suggestions will be welcomed, just knew it, it was too good to be true. Pictures when I fix all of this.

T/care

Jesse

Paint the cheat line first,

spray the required colour freehand roughly where it should go then then cut some Tamiya tape to the shape of the line before spraying the main colour.

Ted

Hi Ted,

Thanks, you got me thinking and unlike the Smart Wing 737-500 there's nothing as reference in that section to draw it exactly the same on both sides, but, I'll scan the decal sheet on a piece of paper, cut it exactly as the cheat line, stick it on the frame with tape and draw the line with a pencil, then I'll have a clear view from the back if it's even and then mask. if it's not straight I can just erase and start again.

T/care

Jesse

Hi Ruben,

Thanks, that would be great, the one I have is on the right side, the left side would be ultra. actually anything you got, even Nordair ones, cause they just re-painted the fuselage and one of the outside rudders.

Jesse

A bit more, should go a little faster now, nose and windshield are fixed, windows are history. Tomorrow will start on the wings and promise, this will eventually look like an aircraft.

built10.jpg

Jesse

Edited by Jesse1