A question about WW1 German Squadrons

yeehah1

15-08-08

Heya guys.....just wrapping up a Typhoon Eurofighter What-If based upon the Red Baron and it got me wondering...what WW1 squadrons on the German side are still operational today??

I was thinking of maybe doing a few more What-If along a simialr vein..using the WW1 color schemes on variious jets such as maybe an F-86, a Phantom ( of course), prehaps a Starfighter...any advise or pointers??

Bobby von Buckles...whaddya think?

Liam

15-08-08

Heya guys.....just wrapping up a Typhoon Eurofighter What-If based upon the Red Baron and it got me wondering...what WW1 squadrons on the German side are still operational today??

I was thinking of maybe doing a few more What-If along a simialr vein..using the WW1 color schemes on variious jets such as maybe an F-86, a Phantom ( of course), prehaps a Starfighter...any advise or pointers??

Bobby von Buckles...whaddya think?

Liam

Thats's a bit tricky. The German fighter squadrons in WWI were all individual units - rather like the RFC and RAF, attached to the various German Armies - called Jagdstaffeln or Jastas with an official strength of 14 aircraft. It was only later in the war that larger groupings of four Jastas permanently under one command were formed; the first - Jagdgeschwader Nr 1 (JG I) from Jastas 4,6,10 & 11 (initially under von Richthofen) in July 1917, followed in March by JG II from Jastas 12,13,15 & 19 and JG III from Jastas "Boelke", 26,27 & 36. JG IV was formed a little later, but I'm not too sure of the date or the constituent Jastas.

I'm not convinced that WWII JGs and post-war modern Luftwaffe JGs have the same "heritage line" as, say, RAF squadrons - although I know there is a modern JG 71 called "Richthofen", I don't think that there is traceable unit lineage back to the WWI JG I.

Probably not what you wanted to hear - sorry!

Rowan