'66 Chevy El Camino

paul_c

Here's my entry to the build. The El Camino is one of my favourite (or should that be favorite!) muscle cars due to the fact it's a pick up! This is the 1:25th Revell kit that allows you to build a stock machine or a modified 'California custom' complete with chrome rims and flaming paint job. It's quite a comprehensive and well detailed kit, however it's showing its age with quite a bit of flash around the smaller parts.

DSCF2170.jpg

I am still unsure as to what the finished product will look like. I'm stuck between a proper Cal-look truck lowered with a nice candy 2-tone paint job and maybe with a board in the back, a rat look in either red oxide or matt black or a proper original muscle car look in one of Chevy's period colours with a mean set of viper stripes. Looks like i have to find some photo inspiration!

Then again, it depends if i will have time to build it! I need to get an Airfix Islander off the bench first and unfortunately, my planned 3 month deployment to TELIC in December has today been brought forward to next month! In the mean time, i have plenty of pre-deployment courses and a 9 week old baby to keep me occupied aswell. It's a good job this GB lasts till Feb!

Edited by paul_c

Welcome to the GB Paul. Thats a good subject you've picked :thumbsup2:

I like the Bowtie El Caminos too, in fact I like Chevy period.

I think your idea of a SoCal build is a great idea; kandy paint & a board in the back :wub:

Its what El Caminos were built for :speak_cool:

:guitar: ....bushy bushy blonde hair doooo's surfin USA.... :guitar:

I think your idea of a SoCal build is a great idea; kandy paint & a board in the back :wub:

Its what El Caminos were built for :speak_cool:

:guitar: ....bushy bushy blonde hair doooo's surfin USA.... :guitar:

Cheers Dave. It's living in Newquay and seeing all the cal-look Dubs and other classics that frequent the area that heped me come up with that option!

Edited by paul_c

Aaaahhh Newquay; what a great place to live Paul.

The place must be crammed with Grockels this time of year ;)

I've got many happy memories for Fistral Beach & Newquay in the `70s & early `80s. We used to camp on the hill overlooking Watergate Bay & got woken every morning by the Nimrods from RAF St Mawgan. They didn't do much for our hangovers :hypnotised: but the did get us out`ta the sack for an early Breakfast :blink:

Is Newquay Steam Beer still in production ? God I had some head splitters from that stuff :beer:

:cheers:

Edited by Diesel Donkey

Aaaahhh Newquay; what a great place to live Paul.

The place must be crammed with Grockels this time of year ;)

I've got many happy memories for Fistral Beach & Newquay in the `70s & early `80s. We used to camp on the hill overlooking Watergate Bay & got woken every morning by the Nimrods from RAF St Mawgan. They didn't do much for our hangovers :hypnotised: but the did get us out`ta the sack for an early Breakfast :blink:

Is Newquay Steam Beer still in production ? God I had some head splitters from that stuff :beer:

:cheers:

Yeah, i count myself as very lucky to have been posted down to St.Mawgan just over 5 years ago. I then got posted to Culdrose but managed to get a married quarter in Newquay still. Town is full of Grockels/Emmets at the mo, even though the weather is pants. Went to the chinese next to the railway station last night, in time to catch a train load of of them in boardies and hotpants disembarking into a huge rain storm!

I've never heard of Newquay Steam beer, but there is a new bar/restaurant opened in town called 'Steam' so maybe that pays homage?

Edited by paul_c

• 1 year later...

Well, a year on a 3 month stint in Iraq and a change of location to Lyneham and i've finally got round to starting this truck! I know the GB has finished so maybe a mod could move this thread? Anyway, over the last couple of weeks i've managed to get most of the sub assemblies together and painted up:

Interior:

DSCF2166.jpg

Hulking great V8:

DSCF2160.jpg

Suspension and drive train:

DSCF2167.jpg

Random bits:

DSCF2169.jpg

The body and chassis awaiting paint:

DSCF2171.jpg

.....and yes, that orange is what i'm using for the exterior colour! It's humbrol 18, Orange Gloss and i'm thinking of combining it with gloss black for a 2-tone look.

I've also done a bit of research and found some sweet El Caminos for reference:

04.jpg

DSCN3284.jpg

4186i.jpg

Edited by paul_c

• 2 weeks later...
This looks nice ! :D

I like the paintjob on the second one , but not the rims :P

regards Jocke

Yeah, i'm doing that paint job, but with a chrome grille and the kit's wheels.

Edited by paul_c

A bit of an update tonight after some nice progress on the paint work. I've sprayed the body 2-tone black and orange and also sprayed and assembled the chassis. The down side to this kit is the lack of seperate chassis frame as i would have liked to have painted this black. However, as it is moulded with the floor pan, that makes things a bit tricky so i've colour coded it instead. I think it ads to the custom/hot rod feel of the car anyway. Here's a few pics so far (i apologise for the quality of the photos but my camera isn't the best at low light and macro ):

DSCF2249.jpg

DSCF2250.jpg

DSCF2251.jpg

DSCF2252.jpg

Edited by paul_c

Body, chassis, interior and glass have all come together now. Bit of a tight squeeze getting the body to fit and the rear wheels seem just a bit over sized as they foul the arches and just look a bit out of proportion unfortunately. Still, other than that, it's looking good! Tomorrow i'm adding the bumpers, chrome and detail parts and she'll be done!

DSCF2254.jpg

DSCF2255.jpg

Edited by paul_c

• 1 year later...

Blimey, this is an old thread! And i realise this GB ended a long time ago!

Anyways, this Camino has been lounging in my little lads room covered in dust with broken off bumpers for a while now so i thought i'd bring her out, fix her up and finish this thread! This was one of my first attempts at airbrushing a few years back and unfortunately one of my last as i was posted and we moved into smaller quarters so now i havn't got any spare space to do it anymore.

Bear in mind, she should have wipers and some nice chromed bullet mirrors but these have fallen foul to either the carpet monster or the toddler monster! I hope you like the finished article, completley OOB bar my own custom paint job which i also hope you like...... :coolio:

IMGP0581.jpg

IMGP0582.jpg

IMGP0583.jpg

IMGP0584.jpg

Edited by paul_c