Hasegawa F-4D Phantom...

so im up to the point of starting to spray the Phantom...

two choices ..

1st one... F-4D from RAF Lakenheath,48th FW 1975.. using the new decal sheet from Xtradecals....

F4D20LN65-072120493TFS20EGUL2076-1.jpg

Or,

F-4D 30th Anniversary Phantom, 904th TFG AFRES. using an old Repliscale sheet which i got in Hannants years ago...

66-7765.jpg

66-7765_1_ANG_Chambers1.jpg

P1000571.jpg

P1000572.jpg

Cant really decide .....

cheers,

Neil

Edited by neilfgr2

Hi guys,

bit of an update on the F-4D.. Went with the anniversary scheme after all as ive not seen it done before on the modelling front...

ready for the decals now after waiting two days for the Xtracolour to dry, (never had this before)...

detailed the undercarrige bays, drilled all the rivets out on the airframe, think this really makes a difference on the Hasegawa kit and finished the Aires afterburner cans....

hope you like,

Cheers,

Neil

P1000574.jpg

P1000590.jpg

P1000591.jpg

P1000594.jpg

P1000600.jpg

P1000481.jpg

P1000584.jpg

P1000586.jpg

Edited by neilfgr2

Those are not rivets but screws. When at St Athan working on Phantom majors all of those panels had to come off, and it could be a complete pain in the backside, especially the wing and spine ones as they had hundreds of the buggers, and often with rounded off heads so that you could not get the bit into the slot to get them off, and they had to be drilled off.

Those are not rivets but screws. When at St Athan working on Phantom majors all of those panels had to come off, and it could be a complete pain in the backside, especially the wing and spine ones as they had hundreds of the buggers, and often with rounded off heads so that you could not get the bit into the slot to get them off, and they had to be drilled off.

Ah yes, the Joys of Phantom fasteners- easy outs, grolly bars and plenty of foul language!

Neil,

As per your normal standards, the cockpit & seats are out of this world and the landing gear is pretty hot too :yahoo: The airframe so far is looking very good, and I cant wait to see her FINSIHED :pray::worthy:

Bex

Bl***y 'ell!!

I've been lookin' at Mish's FGR2 the last couple of days and was getting interested in F-4's again. Looked out the only one I've got, the Revell/Monogram F-4C/D, and now I've seen that 'pit it's all going back in the box and I'm goin of in the humph. :gobsmacked:

There's no way in hell I'm goin' to be able to do sumitt like that, resin pit or no!!

Incredible my man, simply incredible :worthy:

P1000590.jpg

Nice looking model Neil, one question though -whats Hasegawa up to with those three raised "plates" on the nose- I thought that it was only the Big tamiya phantom that had the spurious BDR plates- are there any more on the kit?

Troffa

1 question though, How easy was it to fit? I have the F-4G one so interested in how much work it took to fit it

Calum,

The Aires cockpits require a helluva lot of sanding, virtually to the point of having a see through cockpit floor, plus the kits cockpit sidewalls need sanding down a great deal too. Ive used an Aires Cockpit on last RF-4 What If, and Ive got another for my next Real FGR2 :yikes::suicide: However, once the sanding is completed, it is well worth the hard work.

Bex

Are you aware that 66-765 was a "smart" D, you'll need to modify the pre-amp unit under the nose, add a pair of bumps on the tip of the seeker and parachute housing and a short, cone shaped antenna on the underside of the aircraft, roughly halfway between the edge of the radome and the forward edge of the nose wheelwell bay. There's also a blade antenna about midpoint of the spine, set off slightly to the right on a small triangular base.

I think that you're going to be pleased with those decals, I built the same aircraft, using the same decal sheet and they went on very nicely. One thing to take note of, don't go by the instruction sheet when you apply the Outstanding Unit Award "Trademark of the Tigers" decal on the inside of the nosegear door, it doesn't go ahead of the nosegear door actuator, it belongs behind it.

On a side note, I once got to meet Col. Tanzi, whose name is on the canopy sill, at a Phancon. Very nice guy.

Are you aware that 66-765 was a "smart" D, you'll need to modify the pre-amp unit under the nose, add a pair of bumps on the tip of the seeker and parachute housing and a short, cone shaped antenna on the underside of the aircraft, roughly halfway between the edge of the radome and the forward edge of the nose wheelwell bay. There's also a blade antenna about midpoint of the spine, set off slightly to the right on a small triangular base.

I think that you're going to be pleased with those decals, I built the same aircraft, using the same decal sheet and they went on very nicely. One thing to take note of, don't go by the instruction sheet when you apply the Outstanding Unit Award "Trademark of the Tigers" decal on the inside of the nosegear door, it doesn't go ahead of the nosegear door actuator, it belongs behind it.

On a side note, I once got to meet Col. Tanzi, whose name is on the canopy sill, at a Phancon. Very nice guy.

Cheers silverkite, points noted....

Thanks everyone for the kind comments...

Cheers,

Neil

Oh man that's one Phantastic Phantom you got there :-) Really superb. I love the Gray on Gray Hill Scheme on Phantoms... looks really sharp! My last project was also a Hill Gray phantom but of the G variety from the Iraqi conflict...

IMG_0509Medium.jpg

Not sure if you are putting on chaff/flare dispensers on your bird but if you are you have to do some modifications... PM me if you want details and pics of the process.

Best,

-Greg

Thanks everyone for the kind comments...

Cheers,

Neil

Do the Lakenheath one or its still time to hammer.gif

Do the Lakenheath one or its still time to hammer.gif

Neil wont hammer.gif He WILL PHINISH THIS PHINE PHANTOM :hypnotised:

Besides, I think Ive upset him with all my Hammer Triplets comments :whistle::wicked:

Bex

Neil

Actually, you can see nearly all the modifications that are needed in the picture that you posted, as for the parachute housing door, if you imagine it as though it's a face, the two RHAW bumps would be where the eyes are.

Your build is coming along very nicely, by the way.

Neil wont hammer.gif He WILL PHINISH THIS PHINE PHANTOM :hypnotised:

Besides, I think Ive upset him with all my Hammer Triplets comments :whistle::wicked:

Bex

am i going to rise to the bait?????? I dont think so..... :analintruder:

Neil( off to B & Q just incase) Ashby.....