Matchbox Halifax B.Mk.II Series I

Oliver

After building my B-17D i felt the need to build something British. So whats more British than one of Bomber Command's mainstays, the Handley Page Halifax!

I didn't want to build the B.III, at least not yet anyway, as thats what everyone seems to build in 72nd. So i chose to do a B.Mk.II Series I, as depicted on a history of RAF aircraft poster i had as a child from Hendon museum.

As such this aircraft has the Boulton Paul type C dorsal turret, that was only fitted to some mark II's. So with help from Bill Clark, i obtained the needed extras, Falcon vac canopies, Aeroclub dorsal turret, Aeroclub Gallay radiators etc.

So far this has not bee a easy build for me, requiring a lot of filler, the rear fuselage was bent (and still is slightly) and this is the first time i've used vacuum formed canopies on this scale (the only other previous time was a single canopy for my Spitfire Mk.22), requiring alot of careful cutting for the turret canopies and the bombadiers glazing. Just need to fit one more engine then i can start on the main paint scheme.

DSC01478.jpg

DSC01479.jpg

DSC01482.jpg

Now i don't know much about the little details of the Halifax, so if i've missed anything on the exterior, please point it out.

Looks good Oliver, :thumbsup:

I know your pain! I am building one at the moment (without after market canopies) and with a few mods. I have the Osprey Halifax Squadrons book for reference and yours looks fine.

Are you adding the HF antenna wires to yours? What markings will it wear, something from the the kit sheet?

:cheers:

Yes, very impressive, I'm watching this with interest as I went and bought all the parts you're using for my project too. Haven't got around to building it though LOL.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been a while, but here's where i'm at now. Paints on, just need to do some detail work, make the main colours look more varied and then onto decals. Coming along okay for a hairy stick user i reckon.

halifax003.jpg

halifax004.jpg

halifax005.jpg

halifax006.jpg

halifax007.jpg

Sorry for the poor pictures, i'll try to do better ones once i've got a touch more done.

Cheers Trojan, thanks for the encouragement.

The paints i'm using are xtracrylics RAF Dark Green, RAF Dark Earth and Night Black. The markings will be from the sky models decal sheet, i would have used the kit ones but my kit was an old matchbox issue and the decals have rotted (If the kit decals were okay i probably would have just built a B.Mk.I straight from the box.).

Cheers Trojan, thanks for the encouragement.

The paints i'm using are xtracrylics RAF Dark Green, RAF Dark Earth and Night Black. The markings will be from the sky models decal sheet, i would have used the kit ones but my kit was an old matchbox issue and the decals have rotted (If the kit decals were okay i probably would have just built a B.Mk.I straight from the box.).

Thanks Oliver , I am also using the Sky Models sheet for mine since I was after a specific SQN's markings (148SQN). As for encouragement I really like you build, hope mine turns out as good!

:cheers:

Ray

Update time:

Decals on, weathering applied courtesy of Mr Phil Flory's excellent wash and Mr Tamiya's weathering master sets, plus some chipping. And then Matt coated. Following the feedback from my last build (B-17D) i tried to make the exhaust staining uneven and copied the exact staining pattern from a picture of a B.II Series I i had and also tried to blend the decals in a bit with some pastels. So far i'm reasonably pleased with the build, i've learnt alot from it and no longer fear vacuum formed canopies. Hope you like it so far.

Next up wheels and all the tiny bits, saving the top turret till last.

halifaxmatt008.jpg

halifaxmatt005.jpg

halifaxmatt009.jpg

halifaxmatt014.jpg

Thankyou Sean, thats most kind of you. Though truth be told, my poor photography skills do hide a few errors.

Only update today is that the wheels are now on.

Edited by Oliver

Coming along nicely Oliver, very nicely indeed.

Those old Matchbox kits are good kits.

Its amazing how differentcies between the mk.s of Halifax can make it look like a different aircraft altogether. I built the Airfix kit last year and looks so different to this with the merlin engines and turreted nose.

Thanks for the kind words Mike, the finished build with the dorsal turret is in the ready for inspection sub-forum. I know what you mean about the different looks though, I have an Airfix kit to build further down the line so it'll be nice to see the two next to each other. The only reason i built this one first was because of a 90yrs of the RAF poster i got from Hendon when i was 10, that had every aircraft flown from their beginings till 1990. And on it the one that caught my eye was the Halifax B.Mk.II with top turret.

Btw have you got any pictures of your Halifax build?