Airfix 1/144 airliners

PetrOs

Hi,

The last time Airfix released a new 1.144 airliner kit was over 25 years ago (I think it was the DC-10). Therefore they are all old tools, they tend to have raised panel lines. Most have seperate doors which never seem to fit very well without sanding and filling. Also expect some sink marks, especially those that have been re-released over the last couple of years.

With effort thay can be built to a reasonable level.

Here's a general sprue shot of an Airfix airliner (I don't have a Trident or 1-11 to hand).

253207587.jpg

Here's my views on the two you mentioned.

Trident 1C

I've always liked this one. Overall shape is okay as is the fit with no real problems. It looks like a Trident and the offset nosewheels look about right.

I used aftermarket BEA decals and it was one of the first airliners I used Halfords spray paint on.

207491183.jpg

BAC 1-11

Not as good as the Trident as it has the blunt nose of the protoype. Also my one had quite a few sink marks and the aerials look a bit clunky. The raised panel lines on the wings seem a bit heavy too.

329446985.jpg

One thing I did with this kit was to buy a 500 Series vac form fuselage from Welshmodels. Everything else was Airfix but I've since found out the wings are a little short. You can see the difference in the nose profile with the OOB Aer Lingus kit.

191054042.jpg

Hope this was of some use.

Cheers

I started to built that Comet and I got into so much trouble with it that it went back into the box, I've done that very, very few times but this one drain my patience, the right side of the fuselage was bigger than the other one, manage to fix it so I taught until I applied the base coat, I then found out it still needed some work. But the mother of problems came to the wings to fuselage section :rant::rant: . I just can't get the damn joint right, it's kind of recess and sanding is difficult. To make matters worst, the bloody thing is right there eyeballing me all the time... grrrrr

Oh well, now I fell better,,, I'll give it a rest for a few weeks and like they say "if you fail, try & try again".

T/care

Jesse

Edited by Jesse1

I agree about the Comet wing to fuselage join. It takes an amount of work to get it together.

Here's a sequence of photos of the one I did about 18 months ago. Just look at the filler on the first image!

254853075.jpg

254853077.jpg

255432515.jpg

255981367.jpg

256528161.jpg

258523890.jpg

258523885.jpg

258523883.jpg

Gatwick Minatures (Same company as Two Six) do a resin replacement nose for the 111 that really improves the look.

For theComet, I'm seriously considering grafting the nose from the Caravelle (anyone have a scrapper Caravelle fuselage they can spare? ;)) as it looks more like the proper shape than the Airfix (The Comet and Caravelle had the same nose shape)

Another note about the BAC 1-11, the wing fences for a production jet should be further inboard than those on the Airifx kit. There was an Article in Airline Modeller that had a template for the new fence and little article on the move.

Here's a photo of my BAC 1-11 build, showing where the wing fences should be on a production machine:

finished_1_small.jpg

I also (attempted to) fixed the nose, and added an APU exhaust on its bum. The other change you need to make is to fill in the leading edge landing lights, as apparently they didn't exist on production aircraft either.

Full build thread on ARC.

PM me your email address richellis, and I can send you a scan of the document in question.

Kev