Flashes of Lightning

Hi All,

With the impending issue of a 1/32 Lightning from Trumpeter, I thought I may as well post photos of all my Echelon ones. Some you may have seen before.

PICT0003.jpg

The F.1. Foil covered.

PICT0001.jpg

The F.2A. One of the options in the kit.

PICT0005-1.jpg

The F.3. Again, foil covered.

img0001-2.jpg

img0004-1.jpg

The T.4. I wanted to show the undercarriage retraction sequence on this model.

PICT0012.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

The T.5. In the photos I have of the real thing, the paintwork was a very patchwork affair, so I tried to copy it as best I could.

img0002-2.jpg

img0007-2.jpg

The F.6. This is the other option in the kit. I wanted to show a lightning as I remember them, climing almost vertically on two columns of flame. The two acrylic rods have lights inside the jetpipes and the nav lights also work.

Let's hope that the Trumpeter rendition equals or surpasses the Echelon kit, a difficult task, I think.

Regards,

Glenn

Stunning work there Glen, A great kit which i had but sold a few months back after hearing Trumpeter were bringing out a lightning.

I hope your right about the Trumpeter offering as the Echlon kit dose have a lot to live up to. I like the F1 did you scratch build the tail ?

Those are truely superb Glenn, I really hope the Trumpy is as good....great work !! :worthy: based on the few grainy sprue shots available the parts break down appears similar to the Airfix kit which is not a bad thing ,but as ever with Trumpeter we will have to wait and see ,,,fingers crossed !,

That last shot of yours just emphasized how tight the cockpit was and how close the pilot was to the panel ( a major concern when ejecting which sadly was not an infrequent event)...

Andy

Edited by general melchett

Every single one of those is stunning Glenn, cracking work.

Personaly I'd say Trumpeter would have done themselves a favour if they'd got hold of an Echelon kit to base their rendition of the Lightning on.

Stunning work there Glen, A great kit which i had but sold a few months back after hearing Trumpeter were bringing out a lightning.

I hope your right about the Trumpeter offering as the Echlon kit dose have a lot to live up to. I like the F1 did you scratch build the tail ?

Hi Keith,

Yes, I had to scratchbuild the fin/rudder as well as the underbelly fuel tank. The wiring conduit along each fuselage side also had to be removed.

Glenn

Words fail me, a stunning collection of beautifull models, with the right backgrounds you could easily pass them of as the real thing.

JB.

Glenn: WOW..! Another labor of love....I am totally impressed, thanks for sharing these wonderful builds....who says Lightning can't strike in the same place..??

Cheers,

ggc

Glen. Was just wondering how long on average it takes you to build one of those beautys , All of your models are Vacs and you seem to have a few of em. Just curious :undecided:

Hi Keith,

I cannot really put an average time on these models as there are so many factors involved, single or two seat, differing marks, colour schemes and so on.

if you are making a few of the same aircraft, even diferent marks, it is quicker to do them on a production-line basis.

Vac-forms, by their very nature, take longer to build than conventional kits as things like bulkheads, spars etc. have to be manufactured from scratch. To make the construction a little quicker I use cyano' glue almost exclusively and on the larger models, the wings and a lot of the fuselage is filled with foam to give rigidity and strength.

Regards,

Glenn

Glenn,

Youve really out done yourself with these beauties, your Frightnings are frightningly GORGEOUS :worthy::gobsmacked:

Thanks for sharing

Bex

P.S: Now I REALLY cant wait until you do a Canberra :wub::pray:

What kind of foam, Glenn, if you don't mind?

Kev

Kev,

It's a two part liquid foam, mix the two equal parts together and pour where you want it to go, let it then froth up and leave to harden. A word of warning about this stuff, it expands to at least 12-15 times it's original volume, quite frightening the first time around!

Glenn

Kev,

It's a two part liquid foam, mix the two equal parts together and pour where you want it to go, let it then froth up and leave to harden. A word of warning about this stuff, it expands to at least 12-15 times it's original volume, quite frightening the first time around!

Glenn

Thanks Glenn. I'm quite interested in this product, as I have Combat's IAR80 in the stash, and a couple of more 1/32 vacs on the way. There's been quite some discussion over at LSP about vac kits and builds of late (feel free to post your builds there too!). Anyway, I take it this foam product is styrene-safe? I've heard that most expanding foams are not, and generate quite a bit of heat as they cure too. Jeff Herne uses an acrylic foam that is apparently OK, but I've never been able to find such a thing here in Aus. What's the stuff you use called, and where would I be likely to find such a thing?

Sorry for all the questions!

Kev