Zvezda Tu-154M first impressions

PetrOs

Just got back from Hannants, mind blowing !!! :hypnotised: SOOOO much choice it's like Tesco's only interesting !!Among many new purchases , I got this kit . Very sharp moulding ,lovely recessed lines, appears to be accurate with a rather large decal sheet ( I'll probably wait a while to see what comes along regarding this!.),If I do use them I think I will go for the traditional Aeroflot. Altogether looks to be a great kit , can't wait to start it.... :analintruder:

Andy

Just got back from Hannants, mind blowing !!! :hypnotised: SOOOO much choice it's like Tesco's only interesting !!Among many new purchases , I got this kit . Very sharp moulding ,lovely recessed lines, appears to be accurate with a rather large decal sheet ( I'll probably wait a while to see what comes along regarding this!.),If I do use them I think I will go for the traditional Aeroflot. Altogether looks to be a great kit , can't wait to start it.... :analintruder:

Andy

The only thing you better do - do not use setting solution on the decals. These go wonderfully in recesses even without it, and the setter attacked the decal colors in my case..

ATTENTION! The decal colors run when reacting with the decal setting solution!!

I just started putting the decals onto the model, and after applying the port-side window strips I put some Mr.Mark Softer upon them. Well, I better would not, or more careful at least! The blue color of the decals was dissolved, and some drops of the light blue colored softer ran onto the white fuselage leaving some marks. Also some blue "traces" on the white parts of the decal formed... Not too critical but some retouching would be needed...

DOOOOOO NOT!!!! (emphasis) use Mr. Mark Softer on Microscale printed decals!!! EVER! Microscale's decals work just fine without any sort of setting solution at all, but if you must use some, use the stuff made by Microscale for Microscale.

J

DOOOOOO NOT!!!! (emphasis) use Mr. Mark Softer on Microscale printed decals!!! EVER! Microscale's decals work just fine without any sort of setting solution at all, but if you must use some, use the stuff made by Microscale for Microscale.

J

Well, now I know it ;) I have not known it before...

Final assembly (I need to shoot some better photos outside when the rain will be over): Note the damaged decals on the port side... ;(

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Painting - Gunze Mr.Surfacer for white (with an odd bit of humbrol white when retouching defects..), Modelmaster 1730E Flat gull gray for the gray, different Gunze metallizers over tamiya black for the metal parts, gunze flat black for the tyres, modelmaster french blue gloss 2715 for repairs on the blue color when it "ran" after the setting solution. Sealed by the 2 layers of spray can gloss clear, from Dupli-color.

That looks verrrry nice! I really do like that! And it must be my old eyes, but I've looked & can't see any real damage to the decals. I do see a really very nice model of a Tu-154 though!!

Great stuff!! :thumbsup:

Keef

Thanks!

I forgot to add, that this one flew the Moscow-Manchester Route in 1989, so now planning for some aircraft which were also seen in Manchester in 1989 ;)

757-200 from Air2000 is the next to come, then the BA Concorde. After it a resin Tu-134 for the Moscow end ;)

Well, my stack is now full with the "related" aircraft, meaning also seen in Manchester, 1989, for a diorama

Minicraft owful 757-200 is in build, to come with the basic Air-2000 decals from AHS and detail decals stolen from a BrazilDecals AirUzbekistan sheet (this one), Revell BA Concorde SuperDecal edition to follow, and Minicraft DC-8-63 will probably get the self-designed decals (and either selfprinted on a laser, or printed on order) to represent a TransOcean Airways machine (or some other -62 or -63 seen in Manchester in that year).

• 2 weeks later...

She's a beauty! I had some flights on Tu154's some years ago and that was a thrilling experience. We were sitting business Class, so well in front of the engine noise that does fill the main cabin..

There was strong buffeting getting the wheels up but a smooth and great ride all the way back to Moscow from Tomsk.

Russian Airfield platforms are a real treat with so many unfamiliar sights of jets and airlines. I think the Tu `54 alse looks very nice in the current aeroflot scheme.

good job , mate

She's a beauty! I had some flights on Tu154's some years ago and that was a thrilling experience. We were sitting business Class, so well in front of the engine noise that does fill the main cabin..

There was strong buffeting getting the wheels up but a smooth and great ride all the way back to Moscow from Tomsk.

Russian Airfield platforms are a real treat with so many unfamiliar sights of jets and airlines. I think the Tu `54 alse looks very nice in the current aeroflot scheme.

good job , mate

Well, I am waiting for a few more russian kits, so stay tuned ;)

Lovely build, just got one delivered yesterday and absolutely stunned at the delicate surface detail - can't wait to build it!! Quite fancy the old Balkan airlines scheme that F-Dcal have on there site, these used to come into Glasgow and park opposite out hangar, the stink of burn't jet fuel when it started up was unreal.

Eng