E-2C Hawkeye, VAW-114 "Hormel Hawgs"

Here's my Heller 1/72 E-2C Hawkeye representing VAW-114 "Hormel Hawgs" US Navy Squadron.

Decals were from Microscale sheet 72-536, Paints used - Tamiya XF-2 White, Xtracrylix XA1137 Light Gull Grey, Promodeller Dark Wash, Klear, Xtracrylix XASS Satin Varnish.

Overall I'm happy with the final result, although I could have done a lot better with it. There are a number of things that I would do differently if I do another one. One new trick was used on the build for me, and that was drilling out a small hole into the wingtip lights, and filling it with coloured clear paint to represent bulbs in there. I was really pleased with how this works, and I now wish that I'd done the wing lights at the beginning and sanded them in. Anyway, it's a result as I now have a Hawkeye to add to my collection, something I've wanted for some time now!

Big thanks to 'Oliver' for the decals ;)

d01d084b.jpg

dccec4b3.jpg

d990f58d.jpg

1df52cc7.jpg

5b96b235.jpg

e2240480.jpg

ed41d869.jpg

d66f338e.jpg

Please feel free to comment on any aspect of the build, good or bad!

Regards,

Karl.

Karl,

Considering all the trouble you had with this kit, Im astounded with the way shes turned out, because shes gorgeous, no ifs no buts, you have done an amazing job :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Bex

Nice job me-laddo! Bit clean though, innit? ;) I've never noticed til now just how deep those engine pods are... I suppose they have to be to accomodate the gearbays as well as all the engineage (technical term). :)

Nice build,like the finish very much.

The gull gray looks very dark ( to me) in the photos is it straight from the tin? My reasons for asking is not a flame but the gray I used on my A4 is similar,but a good modelling chum of mine thinks it more towards ADC gray.

Very nice result from a substandard kit! :thumbsup2: I have the original Fujimi release, and from your pics in the WIP forum I must say Heller has certainly not made any improvmets on it, rather the opposite! I only discovered this project yesterday, otherwise I could have alerted you to the vacformed Falcon/Squadron replacement canopy for this kit. To say it is a great improvment over the kit parts is a massive understatement!! But the downside of using it is that you would have to put a lot of work into detaling the cockpit since everything can be clearly (pun intended!) seen through it!

Nice job me-laddo! Bit clean though, innit? ;) I've never noticed til now just how deep those engine pods are... I suppose they have to be to accomodate the gearbays as well as all the engineage (technical term). :)

Yes, there's a lot of gear and engineage in there... although it's not represented in the kit at all :lol:

It is clean yes, most of these Satiny Hawkeye's were clean, and all the shots I found of Hormel Hawgs ones were all spotless!

The gull gray looks very dark ( to me) in the photos is it straight from the tin? My reasons for asking is not a flame but the gray I used on my A4 is similar,but a good modelling chum of mine thinks it more towards ADC gray.

The Gull Grey is the Xtracrylix straight from the pot. I've not really noticed it being too dark and tend to have used it on all my previous USN stuff. It may be some of the light in the photo's... don't know, but that might be it.

Very nice result from a substandard kit! :thumbsup2: I have the original Fujimi release, and from your pics in the WIP forum I must say Heller has certainly not made any improvmets on it, rather the opposite! I only discovered this project yesterday, otherwise I could have alerted you to the vacformed Falcon/Squadron replacement canopy for this kit. To say it is a great improvment over the kit parts is a massive understatement!! But the downside of using it is that you would have to put a lot of work into detaling the cockpit since everything can be clearly (pun intended!) seen through it!

Sten, when I build another one (yes I am subjecting myself to it again at some point!) I will probably use whatever detailing I can get on it. A replacement canopy is a very good idea as the kit ones are not quite right, and also very thick! Thanks for pointing that one out, I didn't know it was out there!

Thanks for all the nice comments on it. I'm glad you like it. I've always wanted a Hawkeye in my collection, and now I've done it. I'll bring it along for the Britmodeller table at the Avon show on the 17th...

Karl.

Karl...you should be ashamed...now the US Navy is gonna have to put all their E-2's on the wash rack just so they don't get embarrassed when others get a look at yours. Very nice job, craftsmanship, painting...I would say weathering, but it looks like it was just delivered. ;):clap2:

"The Gull Grey is the Xtracrylix straight from the pot. I've not really noticed it being too dark and tend to have used it on all my previous USN stuff. It may be some of the light in the photo's... don't know, but that might be it."

Still a nice build and Im most envious of the finish. More power to yer elbow. :)

Karl...you should be ashamed...now the US Navy is gonna have to put all their E-2's on the wash rack just so they don't get embarrassed when others get a look at yours. Very nice job, craftsmanship, painting...I would say weathering, but it looks like it was just delivered. ;):clap2:

Cheers! :lol: There is weathering there ;) just really subtle!

Karl.