Mig question

desmojen

Ok, this years Trumpeter comp build is going to be a Mig. It's one of Trumpeters slightly earlier kits and the colour callouts in the instructions are pants!

Anyone got any good ideas on the cockpit interior colour, bearing in mind that I use Gunze, Vallejo and Tamiya acrylics by choice.

I can see that it's meant to be a bluey green but some clues would be nice (and I'm too lazy to mix it up special!)

I wonder if airsickness was common amongst Russki pilots :hmmm:

Jen.

Hello,

And which Mark of MiG ?

Because, if it's a 15, 17 or 19, cokcpit is grey, very much like UW WWII neutral grey ... (gunze 53, if memory serves ...)

Turquoise is rather for later Marks, like the MiG 21 and 23/27 (maybe 25, too).

Here's a pic of a MiG 17 cockpit (from the check fence site) : http://www.fencecheck.com/magazine/article...1_mig_fury.php#

HTH

If it is a WWII MiG 3, the cockpit will be light blue with a greyish hue, typically something like RLM65 german blue broken with dk grey or black ...

Cheers

Stef (#6)

Edited by Stéphane

I think you have some flexibility when it comes to an "accurate" color. There seem to be tons of different shades out there.

That said, in my opinion. the Model Master Russian Interior Green isn't vibrant/bright/obnoxious enough. It's too subdued.

I've tended to use Polly Scale's NYC Jade Green, which is waterbased, although you may not be able to get it where you are.

I also have a bottle of Gunze H46 Emerald Green, which I might end up using on my Indian (maybe, not 100% on the colors yet) MiG-21.

Edited by david sMiGielski

Hello,

And which Mark of MiG ?

Because, if it's a 15, 17 or 19, cokcpit is grey, very much like UW WWII neutral grey ... (gunze 53, if memory serves ...)

Turquoise is rather for later Marks, like the MiG 21 and 23/27 (maybe 25, too).

Here's a pic of a MiG 17 cockpit (from the check fence site) : http://www.fencecheck.com/magazine/article...1_mig_fury.php#

HTH

If it is a WWII MiG 3, the cockpit will be light blue with a greyish hue, typically something like RLM65 german blue broken with dk grey or black ...

Cheers

Stef (#6)

Turquoise is rather for later Marks, like the MiG 21 -Yes,but from pfm Marks (pfm,R,M,MF,bis...)

• 3 weeks later...

any confirmation as to the colour of the MiG.21F cockpit interior ??? im sure the ones iv seen are def not turquoise in colour, more a mid blue grey with a poss greenish tinge ?

cheers, joe

<clip>

I've tended to use Polly Scale's NYC Jade Green, which is waterbased, although you may not be able to get it where you are.

<clip>

BLEEECH! That color made my stomach turn as I used to watch all the New York Central and Penn Central boxcars rolling past in the late 70's and early 80's, thinking of flying in High G's in an enclosed cockpit in that color :puke:

I guess the important thing is not to turn your nose up at railroad colors when you pass them. I have a Burlington Northern Green that is real close to the Willow Green instrument striping on USMC trainers from the '50s.

My favorite description of a color was back when the Monogram PBY had just come out and one of the reviewers refered to the color in the gunners compartment as 'vomit inducing green'

Matt