Short Stirling

Hi All,

Some time ago someone posted some photos of the I.D. 1/32 Stirling kit he was going to build. I have had to wait till I had my old photos digitized to show my finished example.

The last photo shows it alongside a Hasegawa 1/32 Spitfire just to show how big it is.

img0013.jpg

img0014.jpg

img0020.jpg

Regards,

Glenn

• Like 1

Well Glenn, after that sensational Javelin comes this beauty, equally as stunning - and it's a Mk IV too! I'd be interested in seeing a bit more of the detail visible under that nose canopy, with a view to converting the Airfix 1/72 kit.

I hope we get a closer look at that PR Spit some time too. It looks to me that you've replaced the propeller with one from the old Revell kit, which is a wise decision as it's far better than the pitiful example contained in the Hasegawa.

Very top-notch modelling. I dips me lid!

Tim.

Well Glenn, after that sensational Javelin comes this beauty, equally as stunning - and it's a Mk IV too! I'd be interested in seeing a bit more of the detail visible under that nose canopy, with a view to converting the Airfix 1/72 kit.

I hope we get a closer look at that PR Spit some time too. It looks to me that you've replaced the propeller with one from the old Revell kit, which is a wise decision as it's far better than the pitiful example contained in the Hasegawa.

Very top-notch modelling. I dips me lid!

Tim.

Hi Tim,

I had to sift through a great many books to find ANY info. as to what was under the nose canopy, but I remember reading somewhere that there was a seat and a folding map table up front, so that's what I put in. Hope this is of some use to you.

I have built over 80 Spitfires in 1/32, so yes, I'll post some photos of that one eventually. Incidentally, the prop was a 'Warbirds' conversion IIRC.

Regards,

Glenn

Hi Tim,

I had to sift through a great many books to find ANY info. as to what was under the nose canopy, but I remember reading somewhere that there was a seat and a folding map table up front, so that's what I put in. Hope this is of some use to you.

I have built over 80 Spitfires in 1/32, so yes, I'll post some photos of that one eventually. Incidentally, the prop was a 'Warbirds' conversion IIRC.

Regards,

Glenn

Ah yes, sometimes you just have to go with 'educated guesswork'! I've not ever seen photographs or illustrations that give away any really useful detail inside the Mk IV's nose. Still, you never know when a new photograph might surface somewhere and explain all. If someone can tell me how, though, I wouldn't mind zooming in on the nose of your model here for a closer look. Having a minute ago seen your two-seat Hunter, I imagine a few close-ups of the Stirling would be very nice indeed!

As for that Spitfire propeller . . . I keep forgetting about after-market parts! And you've built over eighty of them? Good to meet another fanatic! I've built well over that number throughout the years (and have a well stocked spares box to prove it!), which reminds me I must find time to get back to the Spitfire thread I left 'to be continued' a few pages (weeks) back . . .

Highest compliments - for the Hunter too . . . most attractive!

Tim.

A great model of a much maligned aircraft, well done Glenn :thumbsup:

Makes me feel ashamed for not finishing my tiny 1:48 kit from Sanger <shudders>

Great looking model, love the exhaust staining. I was going to comment it must be a heck of a beast in 1/32, as it's pretty imposing in 1/72, that last photo really illustrates how big! If you're interested in sharing it would be nice to see some of the Spitfire collection too.

Best

Rich

Great looking model, love the exhaust staining. I was going to comment it must be a heck of a beast in 1/32, as it's pretty imposing in 1/72, that last photo really illustrates how big! If you're interested in sharing it would be nice to see some of the Spitfire collection too.

Best

Rich

Hi Rich,

I'll post some Spitfire photos later, when I have time, aren't you all tired of Spitfire photos?

Regards,

Glenn

That thing is HUGE :gobsmacked: Glenn, that is a very beautiful model, sensable words fail me at this moment, other than well done :thumbsup2:

Thanks for sharing your wonderful work :worthy:

Bex

Bloody hell, that photo really puts it into context Glenn!

I can't wait to get re-started on my ID Swordfish........ then my ID Whirlwind and Wellington......

Make sure you clear plenty of bench space. When building these models you have to keep putting-off fitting the wings till the last moment, you'll see! Good luck with the builds.

Regards,

Glenn

Wow what a beast.That is a beauty.You wouldn't want too many heavies in that scale would you.Not unless you own a mansion or a museum. :goodjob:

Wow what a beast.That is a beauty.You wouldn't want too many heavies in that scale would you.Not unless you own a mansion or a museum. :goodjob:

Hi Tizzy,

When I lived in Brunei, very large houses came with the job, so these large models could be accomodated, but since moving to Thailand, the houses are much smaller. I still build the large models, but they don't last very long and are eventually reduced to spares after gathering enough dust. I'll be posting some more photos of the larger models that I have built at a later date.

The joy of these models is in the build and overcoming the miriad of problems that occur during that build, you learn a lot about the real aircraft in that way.

Regards,

Glenn

thats one fine stirling you have there :hobbyhorse: i had my hands on the I D models 1/32 lancaster a few years ago, let it go after i realized how much work would have gone into it :fraidnot: so i know what you went through building yours ! i take it yours did not have any interior detail ?

ian.

thats one fine stirling you have there :hobbyhorse: i had my hands on the I D models 1/32 lancaster a few years ago, let it go after i realized how much work would have gone into it :fraidnot: so i know what you went through building yours ! i take it yours did not have any interior detail ?

ian.

Hi Ian,

Yes you are correct, no interior or anything, all you get is the outline as with most I.D. models. That is part of the challenge with these models and you have to be a real glutton for punishment to take-on one of these kits, it's almost 'assisted scratchbuilding', but there is great satisfaction, and sometimes relief, when you have finished it. Go on, give one a try.

Regards,

Glenn

Somebody give that man a prize! :gobsmacked:

Seriously, sterling (sorry... I'll go get my :coat: & :handbag: ) work on that monster; if I'd only seen the pic of you holding it without the test I'd have thought it was one of them fancy-schmancy electric flying models.

Cheers from NZ

Mike A

Edited by Mike in Aotearoa