Xtrakit Sea Vixen

TEZ

I had originally planned on making a 'fall together' kit, however...

As the pictures below show I have ignored the kit's instructions. Only time will tell if this was a wise move. Inorder to achieve the Sea Vixen's pointy profile I decided to chop off the extreme tip of the radome and insert a pin. Having read some of the recent kit WIPs reports concerning amongst other things the fit of the fuel panniers, I decided on fixing them to the upper fuselage. The fit isn't the best but nothing a drop of super glue cannot handle. The panniers also helped when attaching the tail booms to the rest of the fuselage. Whils't this was drying I placed the horizontal tailplane into position. This in turn kept the booms in position.

SEAVIXEN2-1.jpg

SEAVIXEN1-1.jpg

The main undercarriage bay is a pain but has now been dealt with. I have approached this kit with an open mind and I hope its challenges will eventually end with a rewarding result. Here's hoping.

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a quick update on my Sea Vixen build. I have chickened out, at least with this one, to do the air intakes and will cover the'holes with FOD guards. That goes for the Jet pipes.

Due to some warpage, I fixed the fuselage together stage by stage, starting with the front section and working round to the rear. The last time I did this was with the Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer, which as everyone is probably aware suffers its fair share of warpage !

I have attempted to improve the shape of the radome with a pin...not sure yet if this looks right. Next stage is rubbing down the seams and then onto the canopy. I will use the Aeroclub release for this.

SEAVIX2.jpg

SEAXIXA.jpg

SEAXIXB.jpg

SEAVIX3.jpg

Edited by TEZ

It's interesting to see a different approach to this kit.I'll be watching with interest.I've already made the decision to knock up some FOD covers for mine.

Cheers :D