English Electric Lightning T4

theplasticsurgeon

This is a shot of the boxes, with some pictures of the intended result.

EE Lightning T4 serial XM973. The only reason this one has been selected, is that I can build it from the shown kit, Aeroclub conversion, and 19 Squadron decals pinched from an F2A kit.

I've already built a T5 conversion in 1/72.

AA_Lightning001.jpg

Those Meteors on my bench, might prevent any quick progress.

The marking and cutting of major components has begun - along with some interior:

AA_Lightning001-1.jpg

And the dry fitting of the fuselage.

AA_Lightning002.jpg

My plan is to join the port fuselage sections, alongside the unmodified stbd fuselage. That decal protective sheet is intended to avoid bonding the fuselage halves - before I want them bonded.

Hence little progress on the Glosters since the weekend.

Hence little progress on the Glosters since the weekend.

Stuff the Meatboxes, this gorgeous Lady is far more important, looking good so far, and Ive never seen one built from the start before :popcorn: & :beer: at the ready :thumbsup2:

Bex

Just for Bex:

First part of this cut'n'shut is coming together. Port fuselage half has a new nose stitched on.

Tracing paper is to prevent it sticking to the cutting board.

Lightning004.jpg

No progress on the Glosters - but more on this soon.

And now fitting the internal components.

AA_Lightning001-2.jpg

That radar centrebody is full of lead - which I hope is enough. I'll be using kit seats, as they're quite visible under the larger canopy. I've also got a lead pilot to put in there.

Back from a week in Tenerife - normal service resumes shortly.

I did think of you guys at Avon Show - as I played in the sea that day.

Did you think of all the bargains you missed Tim? You really do need to sort your priorities out. :D

Did you think of all the bargains you missed Tim? You really do need to sort your priorities out. :D

Thought never actually crossed my mind Mike. My stash is full at the moment - so it's unlikely that I'd buy much at the moment. I just like to see how models should be built.

I have to say that I remember a SUPERB day, whilst the show was in Bath. I created a list of stuff that I wanted to find, with VERY tight limits (scoffed at by one of my colleagues, when he saw it) that I was prepared to pay. I found almost all of it - and within my budget! Came home with a boot full of models, a lighter wallet - but a HUGE grin. I've regarded the Avon show as a Bargain Rich Environment ever since - and always enjoyed it. All of the kits from that day, are now models in my collection - but the idea of the list has been repeated with great success at other shows - and copied by my colleague.

Last Sunday spent the day on a hot beach, went out for an excellent meal, and consumed a lovely 99c bottle of wine on my balcony. Do you still think my priorities need sorting?

Now for progress on the Lightning.

I've finished off smoothing the fuselage, and airbrushed a quick coat of grey undercoat - whilst doing my Tenerife laundry.

AA_Lightning001-3.jpg

AA_Lightning002-2.jpg

Just wish the photos looked as good as the model!

Finally got it looking like a Lightning!

AA_Lightning001-4.jpg

Wings and tail fitted today

AA_Lightning002-3.jpg

And chairs and pilots. The port pilot is an Airwaves metal figure for a Harrier. It was bought for a Jaguar that I built earlier this year - but has kicked around in my spares box since 1997. I found that the kit nosering is a better fit on this occasion, so I'm saving the metal one for a single seater.

AA_Lightning003.jpg

I'm using kit chairs, as they're better defined than the conversion - and the larger canopy looks like it will allow more to be seen through it. Saving the metal seats for my single-seaters as well.