Airfix Spitfire MkIIa 1:48

Looks every inch the Spit! Lovely at that.

I really like how you've got it looking used and war weary without going over the top with weathering. Nicely restrained and effective.

Congats on a lovely build.

That really is one stunning spitfire there! Having seen that, i think if i do get round to doing a mki or II, then it'll be the Airfix one! As said before, colours are gorgeous... just right! Well done mate!

Steve: Your model looks, well, real !! ...what a great job of building and photos ... :thumbsup2:

Cheers,

ggc

Stunning, absolutely stunning!!

Have to agree with the comments about the colours - they look absolutely spot on. As does your weathering! Stick it on some grass & you'd never tell it apart from a real 'un!!

Wonderful model!! :thumbsup:

Keef

To my eye those colours are spot on, can I ask what paints you used?

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul:

Gunze acrylics cut with cellulose thinners; similar to certain brands of lacquer thinners in the US (but by no means all) - e.g. Model Master Lacquer Thinners.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Ogri :) , that has to be one off the best Spitfires :gobsmacked: I've seen in a long time mate well done :thumbsup:

Lovely Spitfire there mate looks the bees knees. One small nick pick the undercarrages legs look a little bit too splayed outwards like a 109 otherwise a fantastic job.

No sweat mate - it's a fair call entirely, well done for spotting it. The kit undercart covers were CA'd to the legs as sub assemblies in a characteristic bout of 'lack of foresight' on my part...lol. They were subsequently found to foul the wing underside and as I was too lazy to break up the parts, strip and re-spray (having corrected the covers of course...) 'persuaded' them into the best position I could and called it done.

This model was essentially just a bit of RAF camo practice prior to launching into the Revell 1:32 MkIIa but also to see what could be produced from the box, given the criticisms some folks were applying to it elsewhere. I made some gentle mods to just smooth the edges as it were. A full build telling the gory truth can be found here - Airfix Spitfire MkIIa - 1:48 Full Build

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated.

Steve

Hi Paul:

Gunze acrylics cut with cellulose thinners; similar to certain brands of lacquer thinners in the US (but by no means all) - e.g. Model Master Lacquer Thinners.

Thanks

Steve

29-07-2008

Hi there! Excellent job. I didn't think you could thin acrylic with cellouse thinners! Or have I misunderstood? Also....you matt'd the spinner and prop blades?

Liam