Warpaint No.67 - Folland Gnat

Dave T

The book is so new, nobody has it in stock yet, but a very kind lady at Warpaint (Natalie) sent me a copy post haste once i explained my interest/connection with the aircraft.

It's just arrived and looks very, very good, especially coverage of oversea's operators. Can't wait for next month's Aeroplane Monthly 'Database' feature on the Gnat as well, September issue on sale August 1st.

I'm off for a coffee and a good read.... :D

Warpaint Books

Aeroplane Monthly

gnatbook.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Ooh, you lucky fella. Got an Aeroclub kit that would like to meet a copy of that!

:ditto: What he said. Mine's all built up though, and just waiting for paint (I was too chicken to attempt the masking at the time). :blush:

Mine's all built up though, and just waiting for paint (I was too chicken to attempt the masking at the time). :blush:

Huh, when did that happen? You got a thread on that one Mike? Wouldn't mind seeing how it went - or should I say, is going - for you.

By the way Graham; Nice! :goodjob:

Edited by Col.

Huh, when did that happen? You got a thread on that one Mike? Wouldn't mind seeing how it went - or should I say, is going - for you.

By the way Graham; Nice! :goodjob:

I did it before I got very involved with forums, so IIRC there either aren't any photos, or at least not many. It went pretty well actually, and was quite easy to build for a novice like me. I just bottled it on the masking, which is quite complicated for even the simplest of schemes included with the kit. It will get done at some point - just need to remember it's there next time I have the urge to paint something :)

I did it before I got very involved with forums, so IIRC there either aren't any photos, or at least not many. It went pretty well actually, and was quite easy to build for a novice like me. I just bottled it on the masking, which is quite complicated for even the simplest of schemes included with the kit. It will get done at some point - just need to remember it's there next time I have the urge to paint something :)

Cool, thanks for that Mike. Looking forward to getting my one started once the new modelling bench gets set up in the new house.

For an added bonus I can now start pestering you to finish something else instead of constantly making comments about a certain big white V-bomber... :whistle:

Cool, thanks for that Mike. Looking forward to getting my one started once the new modelling bench gets set up in the new house.

For an added bonus I can now start pestering you to finish something else instead of constantly making comments about a certain big white V-bomber... :whistle:

Git! :tease: Nah, it's a nice kit. The foot wells are a bit tight, as is the space for the bang seats, but that could have been my building skills. Check your refs for whether you should use the original kit supplied bang seats, as they're quite different from the later ones. Other than that, the only seam that really needs work is where the white metal intakes meet the fuselage. There should be no gap :) Get on with it! :wicked:

What scale is that Graham ?

There was a guy at the last Yeovilton show who had a big one (!) but we couldn't decide there & then wether it was 1/32 or 1/24 but it was assumed to be a manufacturers promo or wind tunnel model.

It's 1:48 Graham, from our chum John @ Aeroclub. Nice kit :)

I seem to remember there was a guy by the name of Timmy! on ARC that was building a 1:32 Gnat from scratch. The work he'd done last I saw it was amazing :)

It's 1:48 Graham, from our chum John @ Aeroclub. Nice kit :)

I seem to remember there was a guy by the name of Timmy! on ARC that was building a 1:32 Gnat from scratch. The work he'd done last I saw it was amazing :)

It sure looks a good kit in the box Graham, hopefully I'll be able to tell you how nice a build it is before too long. ;)

Remember the Gnat but don't think it was Timmy! Mike, he's just finished the 24th Scale OV-10 Bronco project that has kept him busy for years and it's something else to see. It may have been an Indian chap who was building the Gnat but not sure.

While I've found the contents of the Warpaint books to be very good, I wish they'd do something about their covers - they're straight out of the 1950s, layouts, colours, typography... I just find them totally unappealing!

I got my copy direct from Warpaint Books earlier this week. I posted a review on the Unofficial Airfix Modeller's Forum.

http://gregers.7.forumer.com//viewtopic.php?p=86044

You posted it where ? :rofl:

And no mention of the spelling mistakes littered throughout. A great many of the serials get reversed (eg: XM706 is MX706). Not very well proof read IMHO.

You posted it where ? :rofl:

And no mention of the spelling mistakes littered throughout. A great many of the serials get reversed (eg: XM706 is MX706). Not very well proof read IMHO.

My spelling is atrocious so I guess I'm more forgiving. However the editing is not a strong point of the Warpaint series.

Edited by JamesP