An 'orrible Viggen kit !

I have the Björn Karlström, drawings of the various types, and could scan them if anybody is interested.
Oh yes indeed, very interested!
VERY much so!!!! :analintruder:
I'd be interested too please!

Keef

What have you let yourself in for? :lol:

Thanks blokes, :cheers:

I have the Björn Karlström, drawings of the various types, and could scan them if anybody is interested.

Guess what !!! :thumbsup2:

I'm off to Newark tomorrow for a bit more material so I'll find out more on what's been written , by whom and why !! !!

To my knowledge no JA's had the low viz markings applied,( but then someone will probably prove me wrong ; )

Something I have found interesting is the number of upgrades the JA has been through, the latest was software upgrade, EDIT 34, which enables the JA 37 to use AMRAAM.

missiles.Edit 32 was the first allowing advances in the flight control system and radar. Many of the hardware advances needed for Edit 32, "Modification package C", were introduced at the same time as Edit 30, in 1990, but not put to full use. Mod D includes the ability to carry the Ericsson Saab Avionics U95 countermeasures pod something I will consider adding myself.The mod D also included.the new radio TARAS, improved cockpit , upgraded auto throttle and computers as well as ECM .The upgraded aircraft carry an extra blade aerial mid way along spine ( as does the SK)...

How about this, :jump_fire: ...........note the blade aerial on spine.

Viggen46Medium.jpg

It's "Monster Viggen" Froson AB 2004 and a company called Syhart are doing a set for it ................good lord I think I'm in love :heart: !

This is the Ericsson Saab Avionics U95 countermeasures pod.

u95Medium.jpg

Cheers,

Andy

Nice picture!

A SF 37 (photo recon). In a sligthly odd paintscheme for the SF, this I belive was painted up for international displays. Note the text on the air intakes says "danger" instead of "fara" as is common practise.

The gray recce Viggens belonged to SWAFRAP (Swedish Air Force Rapid Reaction Force), a rediness recce sqn earmarked for the international community (i.e. UN or EU) for peace support or peace enforcement missions should the need arise, hence the English stenciling. Today this sqn is equiped with the latest version of the JAS 39 Gripen. BTW, this sqadron just arrived back at their base in Luleå in the north of Sweden last weekend, after having taken part in the latest RED FLAG execise in the US.

Thanks blokes, :cheers:

Guess what !!! :thumbsup2:

I'm off to Newark tomorrow for a bit more material so I'll find out more on what's been written , by whom and why !! !!

To my knowledge no JA's had the low viz markings applied,( but then someone will probably prove me wrong ; )

Something I have found interesting is the number of upgrades the JA has been through, the latest was software upgrade, EDIT 34, which enables the JA 37 to use AMRAAM.

missiles.Edit 32 was the first allowing advances in the flight control system and radar. Many of the hardware advances needed for Edit 32, "Modification package C", were introduced at the same time as Edit 30, in 1990, but not put to full use. Mod D includes the ability to carry the Ericsson Saab Avionics U95 countermeasures pod something I will consider adding myself.The mod D also included.the new radio TARAS, improved cockpit , upgraded auto throttle and computers as well as ECM .The upgraded aircraft carry an extra blade aerial mid way along spine ( as does the SK)...

How about this, :jump_fire: ...........note the blade aerial on spine.

Viggen46Medium.jpg

It's "Monster Viggen" Froson AB 2004 and a company called Syhart are doing a set for it ................good lord I think I'm in love :heart: !

This is the Ericsson Saab Avionics U95 countermeasures pod.

u95Medium.jpg

Cheers,

Andy

I know another company that is doing that scheme as well. :)

Hi!

There is of course a history behind the "Monster Viggen"

I belonged to the F4 wing at Frösön, Jämtland. Frösön is an island in a lake called Storsjön ("the big lake"). Lake Storsjön is the swedish equivalent to Scotland's Loch Ness - It too has a monster living in it. Belive it or not, some say it's true... Anyhow, the people at the F4 wing decided to honour their monster with a special paint scheme on one of their JA's.

I know another company that is doing that scheme as well. :)

Mike are your's going to be Alps printed, like the Shy@rt one's are ?

I've got these but they look a little thin, hence they have included white "primer" decals for the wing numbers.

Are you going to do the "AKKTU STAKKI" one they do as well ?? That is a great paint job.

By the way guy's sorry for the delay with the scans.

I'm moving at the end of the month, and prior to going on holiday, I started to pack away all the non essential stuff, I thought these books would not be needed.

Anyway, I have now found them amongst all the boxes searched, one of the last as the law of sod would dictate.

So will scan and post by tomorrow evening.

If you have questions about the SwAF Viggens, or any other SwAF aircraft for that matter, I'd recomend the Enlish language forum at the IPMS Stockholm site. There are a couple of members there that have worked on the Viggen in the SwAF and they'd be able to answer almost any question about it.

With regard to this Post please note the following.

The Plan Drawings below are the copywrite of Björn Karlström.

They are reproduced to assist in the further discussion on this thread regarding the differences in construction of the various marks of Viggen produced by SAAB.

Saab Viggen-JA37 Taken From:- Karlström, Björn; Flygplansritningar 2 - Swedish Air Force Fighters 1926-84. Allt Om Hobby ISBN 91-85496-19-7

Saab_Viggen-JA37_1.jpg

JA37-1-Scanfile Download

Saab_Viggen-JA37_2.jpg

JA37-1-Scanfile Download

Saab Viggen-AJ37 Taken From:- Karlström, Björn; Flygplansritningar 3 - Swedish Air Force Bombers 1926-86. Allt Om Hobby ISBN 91-85496-25-1

Saab_Viggen-AJ37_1.jpg

AJ37-1-Scanfile Download

Saab_Viggen-AJ37_2.jpg

AJ37-2-Scanfile Download

Saab Viggen-SF37 Taken From:- Karlström, Björn; Flygplansritningar 4 - Swedish Air Force Reconnaissance Aircraft 1926-86. Allt Om Hobby 1988 ISBN 91-85496-27-8

Saab_Viggen-SF37_1.jpg

SF37-1-Scanfile Download

Saab_Viggen-SF37_2.jpg

SF37-2-Scanfile Download

Saab Viggen-SK37 Taken From:- Karlström, Björn; Flygplansritningar 1 - Swedish Air Force Trainers 1926-97. Allt Om Hobby ISBN 91-85496-83-9

Saab_Viggen-SK37_1.jpg

SK37-1-Scanfile Download

Saab_Viggen-SK37_2.jpg

SK37-2-Scanfile Download

Let the discussions commence.

Any Problems with the downloads, let me know.

Thanks for all this , great plan details , now to scale em and hopefully we'll have an accurate Viggen at last :analintruder:

Many thanks,

Just got back from Newark , here's a shot of the inscription on the port nose,

Apparently signed by the ground crew , pilot's sig is on the roundel !!

Talking to the guy's who put it all back together , they said it was the easiest reconstruction they had ever done , as it was so well engineered !!!!!!!!!!!

P1030735Medium.jpg

Mike are your's going to be Alps printed, like the Shy@rt one's are ?

I've got these but they look a little thin, hence they have included white "primer" decals for the wing numbers.

Are you going to do the "AKKTU STAKKI" one they do as well ?? That is a great paint job.

By the way guy's sorry for the delay with the scans.

I'm moving at the end of the month, and prior to going on holiday, I started to pack away all the non essential stuff, I thought these books would not be needed.

Anyway, I have now found them amongst all the boxes searched, one of the last as the law of sod would dictate.

So will scan and post by tomorrow evening.

No these decals are not being done on alps they will be silk screened. I wont say who is doing them but I will say thay do some really cool stuff already :)

• 3 months later...

Mr. Frampton,

I have just ran across your earlier post; I would much appreciate a scan of your drawings. I am just planning a build of the SF-37, based on the ESCI/Airfix 1/48 scale kit. Thank in advance for the assistance!

Whoops! Never mind! Should have scrolled down farther first. Mea Culpa!

Cheers, Jim

Edited by Jim Kiker

Hi Andy,

Lovely build so far. I love this aircraft (and all Saab aircraft actually) - I have been looking for this kit for years, and have never found one to date! The reference photographs and drawings are excellent modelling reference material. I look forward to seeing more eventual progress on this build.

Regards

Derek

Edited by Derek Bradshaw

I'm looking forward to this build restarting, as Andy's going to be using some pre-production samples of Two Mikes' Viggen updates. The parts will be leaving Mike in the US sometime next week, for delivery to me, then on to Andy shortly after. I'm looking forward to seeing them integrated into what promises to be a build by which others will be judged :worthy:

Here's a pic of an AJSH 37. You can see that the trailing edge of the canard and the leading edge of the wing touches the same panel line.

In this picture of a JA 37, you can see that the leading edge of the wing is further back from the panel line that the canard touches than on the AJSH. AJ, SH, and AJSH have reasonably identical airframes. Indeed, in the specific area we're looking at, all except the JA look the same.

Thanks for the links Martin. I am hoping to do mine in the markings of Newark's example but I'm going to wait for the two Mikes Resin stuff to come out before I attempt it.

Tony :clif: