An 'orrible Viggen kit !

Andy,

Here are my reference pics for this Viggen......

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...6&hl=viggen

If you want any other specific shots let me know as I am a voulenteer at NAM.

Regards,

JB.

Thanks JB ,that a lot more like it :thumbsup: I only live locally ( Lincoln) , and get to NAM often, spent a glorious afternoon their today in fact. It would be nice to meet up there some time and get close ups of this and the Draken.

It's a great museum lets hope the funding for the Vulcan shelter comes through before too long as she's in need of another spruce up...(like the look of the Polish MiG 23 , looks lean and mean in it's new clothes!! :wicked: ).

As for pics it's mainly U/C, reheat / reverser and ram turbine and bay that I'm after...

Cheers,

Andy

General, where did you get the Equipages wheels from? They look rather nice. Am thinking of doing a JA37 myself. Am not sure whether I can be bothered to lengthen the fuselage though - the difference is only about 2mms in '48 scale.

So you've been sidetracked again eh, General!! No attention span man, pull yourself together - your Sperrin needs you!!

Seriously, I love the Viggen & look forward in anticipation to how this beast turns out!

Those are great detail shots which I have saved for the time that Hasegawa decides to bless us with a companion for their lovely 'ickle Draken. Don't think that I have your fortitude to do battle with the Airfix/Esci thing!

Keef

PS - you have to love the tremendously descriptive Swedish word for ejection seat.....!!!

Vlamgat , I actually got the wheels from Telford a few years back ( the NeoMega stand :worthy: ) , but I believe Linden Hill still have the range for sale on import though they do sell quickly. One word of warning the rubber on the small tyres seem to perish after some time and crack , though this doesn't seem to effect the larger ones.... :hmmm:

The extension on the JA is in the rear engine area and was caused by having to fit the new RM8B engine which had a slightly longer 3rd stage than the AJ's RM8A. It was worth it though as the new engine handled a lot better in all areas ( apparently the RM8A didn't take kindly to the throttle being slammed open at low speeds and high AoA).

Hope this helps,

Andy

Edited by general melchett

Keef .wondered where you've been hiding :P just worked out I've got 18 WIP's on the go :shutup: You're spot on, wish Hase would bring out the Thunderbolt , a descent 48th kit is long overdue ,meanwhile I've got quite a bit planned for this one if all goes to plan , can't say any more at the present time:jump_fire:

Have no fear the Sperrin is well on track, I've got a few more update pics to post.The filling of tiny air holes ( steady......) is taking a lot of time, and new ones constantly pop up !!! but she's very nearly ready for priming ....... ( just having a massive fight with an Airfix Vulcan at the mo and the damn thing is winning 5-3 :banghead: it's built but the masking is proving awkward to put it mildly ( forgot how many flamin contours the thing has !)

Cheers ,

Andy

Vlamgat , I actually got the wheels from Telford a few years back ( the NeoMega stand :worthy: ) , but I believe Linden Hill still have the range for sale on import though they do sell quickly. One word of warning the rubber on the small tyres seem to perish after some time and crack , though this doesn't seem to effect the larger ones.... :hmmm:

The extension on the JA is in the rear engine area and was caused by having to fit the new RM8B engine which had a slightly longer 3rd stage than the AJ's RM8A. It was worth it though as the new engine handled a lot better in all areas ( apparently the RM8A didn't take kindly to the throttle being slammed open at low speeds and high AoA).

Hope this helps,

Andy

Thx - if the extension is at the rear I may actually do this as it might be doable without too much damage - I assume it must be after the trailing edge of the wing (and indeed the fin)?

Here's a pic of an AJSH 37. You can see that the trailing edge of the canard and the leading edge of the wing touches the same panel line.

In this picture of a JA 37, you can see that the leading edge of the wing is further back from the panel line that the canard touches than on the AJSH. AJ, SH, and AJSH have reasonably identical airframes. Indeed, in the specific area we're looking at, all except the JA look the same.

A 1.5mm to 2mm extension? Jeez.... sounds a bit too much like hard work for very little gain to me :):2c:

Hmmmm - me too!!

Couldn't one just cheat & sand a little off the leading edge of the wing & rescribe the panel line?? Or would that just be me....??!! :rolleyes::lol::D

keef

Mike and Keef you're dead right , the extension in reality is just on 4 inches ( I know ,I've measured it ) and it's hardly noticable at all !! The easy option would be to rescribe panel lines or as Keef suggests realign wing leading edge a tad. The idea of cutting the body up just to slip in a sliver of placcy for such little gain seems mad ( and I know mad :hypnotised:) It's the same with the rear section, again in reality it's just on 1 1/2 inches !!!! negligable on 1/48th but in 1/72nd!! :o ... The other point is that the ESCI kit is too long anyway, even with the nose being shortened so whether the wings have the correct area is anyone's guess!! With serious kit bashing a descent Thunderbolt can be built , but it's a lot of work................. :wicked:

Cheers all,

Andy

Edited by general melchett

Hi blokes and blokette's , not much of and update I'm afraid but it's progress !! Thought I'd have a go at detailing the U/C as the kit's one is total :shit: as you can see from comparison shot's. The Viggens gear is a pretty complicated affair which is way too simple in the kit ( and way oversize !!) and needs a fair bit of scrath building .Next step is the taxi light on the nose gear and then some Pro modeller wash to make it come alive !!!

Next main bit of home improvement will be an all new JA tail fin and reheat unit ,....stay tuned,

Thanks, ( sorry it's slow but I'm rather busy with real life at the moment :S)

P1030673Medium.jpg

This shows the horror that is the kits parts. Sorry about the greenish tinge it's not there in reality !,

P1030674Medium.jpg

P1030676Medium.jpg

The nose gear is even worse being too skinny , too long and lacking any actuator and steering detail !!!bin em !!, bin em all :!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!analintruder:

P1030683Medium.jpg

P1030684Medium.jpg

P1030685Medium.jpg

Andy

I'm following this build with much interest.

I'm very impressed, as usual with the "General's" builds.

Want to pick up some tips for when I start mine. I want to build one as an AJ (Attack Jakt) version.

And therefore taking notes for the usual plagiarism to be used on one of my builds.

Regarding the differences between the various marks of Viggen.

I have the Björn Karlström, drawings of the various types, and could scan them if anybody is interested.

Also regarding the Graffiti on the side of the nose, I can only make out "Sista skickinen"

This translates as "The last dispatch" with F21, the Unit number.

The reason I haven't posted earlier is I've been away from the board for four weeks (on Holiday/Vacation) back in the UK visiting the family that is the beauty of living and working in Sweden.

I've missed it though.

I have the Björn Karlström, drawings of the various types, and could scan them if anybody is interested.

Oh yes indeed, very interested!

I'm following this build with much interest.

I'm very impressed, as usual with the "General's" builds.

Want to pick up some tips for when I start mine. I want to build one as an AJ (Attack Jakt) version.

And therefore taking notes for the usual plagiarism to be used on one of my builds.

Also regarding the Graffiti on the side of the nose, I can only make out "Sista skickinen"

This translates as "The last dispatch" with F21, the Unit number.

The reason I haven't posted earlier is I've been away from the board for four weeks (on Holiday/Vacation) back in the UK visiting the family that is the beauty of living and working in Sweden.

I've missed it though.

It must be "Sista skickningen", which by the way is very bad swedish. To write "the last dispatch", "Sista sändningen" would be better.

The second line is probably the names of the people involved.

Great work so far General! I'll be checking in on this build regularly.

Unfortunately, I have been limited to only one encounter so far with the great old gal. July 2007 at the Kbely air museum in Prague:

viggen.jpg

I know the pic isn't worth much for detail reference, but hey, A Viggen is Viggen! :wub:

Nice picture!

A SF 37 (photo recon). In a sligthly odd paintscheme for the SF, this I belive was painted up for international displays. Note the text on the air intakes says "danger" instead of "fara" as is common practise.

A quick look at airliners.net indicates that AJSF 37s in the grey scheme had English stencils. Maybe for PfP ops?