* Spitfire Mk.I/II

Another one I'm afraid!

41QEJ0ERSQL._SS500_.jpg

I promised myself not to tackle another kit before I'd finished the Defiant, or made headway on the Hurricane, but as I'm building this for a friend, I thought I can't keep him waiting for it forever, so I made a start on it tonight.

Not much of a start though. I placed the two fuselage halves on the desk, with a view to rescribing them tomorrow.

Bring on the Spitfire!

Nick

Edited by darson

Well Nick, I 've got one of these in my stash, and I'll be taking note of how you tackle it. I have no idea of how good it's supposed to be, but I got it for a tenner so I can't complain. It seems pretty nice to me. Look forward to the updates matey.

Regards

Andy :)

Just spent the last hour rescribing the fuselage, and despite what I read about it being a horrible process, and it being my first time at trying it, it wasn't too bad. Quite enjoyable really. Sad git that I am!

I used Dymo tape, levelled them up against the raised panel lines, and scribed away with a sewing needle in a pin vice.

I'll take on the curved lines tomorrow (too tired tonight) and once I've done them, and put pin marks in all the raised rivets, I'll sand the lot flush, leaving the scribed panels and rivets. Da dahhhhh!

Whole new possibilities have now opened up for the Airfix kits in my stash with this technique!

Contrary to what everybody said in another of the Revell 1/32nd Spit build threads about the lack of panel lines all over, I decided to do the lot anyway.

All the Tamiya and Hassy builds on the net have panel lines all over, and so shall this one.

Not sure how well the scribing will show up in photos, but I'll post some up when I've finished the whole process.

Cheers,

Nick

D. Rabbit: More "scratch" building...very nice impression... :winkgrin: ..I suppose you give that line to all your models... :coolio:

Actually I think "raised lines" are under rated...

Cheers,

ggc

D. Rabbit: More "scratch" building...very nice impression... :winkgrin: ..I suppose you give that line to all your models... :coolio:

Actually I think "raised lines" are under rated...

Cheers,

ggc

Cheers mate.

I agree they are under rated, but I much prefer to see some highlighted panel lines on a kit this big. All other 1/32nd Spits I've seen unscribed just seem a little, how to say, lacking.

Anyway. Onto the cockpit this evening!

Great job on the re scribing, it is a bit of work but worth it in the end, with the curved lines I either follow the raised lines, or do them in sections with cut Dymo tape, pushing instead of pulling the scriber to get started also helps if you are following the raised panel lines. Any mistakes can soon be corrected with CA, accelerator and sanding.

Cheers

Den

Here's a few shots of the rescribed fuselage.

I just sanded off the panel lines, and am going over my scribed lines to remove any crap that filled them.

Once the fuselage is joined, I'll tart them up.

Cheers,

Nick

Hi Nick,

Check this out: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.ph...st&p=154953

It's a great way of replicating cowl fastners.

Keep up the good work.

Dave

Thanks for that Dave. Looks a little complicated for me this time round, but maybe I'll do it when I do my own build of this kit.

Cockpit painting started yesterday. Needs a little tarting up, black parts and seat spraying and then I'll fit it all.

_D9O0229.jpg

Dryfitting seems ok..

_D9O0232.jpg

Cheers,

Nick

It's a nice little kit this one Nick.

You'll enjoy building it. I did.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a struggle to get any modelling done recently, but I've made some progress on the Spit.

The IP's done. Sprayed with Chaos black, drybrushed, and the dials were filled in with Klear. It's quite austere, as I don't like putting any red switches on BoB planes, as I don't think red plastic was available then.

_D9O1163.jpg

I did give in on the red fire button, as the build's not for me, and I suppose that's what people expect from a fire button..

The spade grip was remade, as the kit one was lousy. The grip and middle part are guitar string, and the firing button housing's sprue/glue gloop.

_D9O1165.jpg

The seat was painted a custom red/brown/yellow mix.

I've got some etch belts which I still have to anneal and paint, and once that's all done, I'll assemble it all.

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by dylan the rabbit

Wonderful! That IP looks great!

What did you use to thin the Chaos black? and how much? I have Citadel colors for figure painting but never tried air brushing them!

:cheers:

Azgaron

Wonderful! That IP looks great!

What did you use to thin the Chaos black? and how much? I have Citadel colors for figure painting but never tried air brushing them!

:cheers:

Azgaron

Hi Azgaron,

I just use tap water to thin it. Great stuff Citadel paints.

Dave.

Going back to rivets, MDC make a riveting tool that is essentially a bradawl with a hollow point. You twist it round on the plastic and it makes a circular "scribed" line, leaving the plastic in the centre untouched. A quick way of getting the outer circle, and if you were feeling really anal, you could then drill a shallow hole in the centre of each one. :shrug:

Nick, very nice the pit looks excellent. Good to see you tried something new with the re-scribing, if it's not too late give it all a swipe with some fine steel wool and then brush the panel lines with a toothbrush dipped in plastic prep or alcohol it cleans them up very nicely. And if you plan on tackling re-scribing those old Airfix kits I would invest in a set of templates, Verlinden and I believe Tamiya or Hasegawa make some in various scales (though 48th) will pretty much cover everything invaluable for circles and access hatches etc. Also the set of radii are perfect for curved lines, find the correct template to match the line then use it to cut a curved piece of dymo to scribe against. Nose cones are no longer a problem. Old pieces of sprue from P.E. sets and the brass strip pulled from a cheap wooden ruler are great edges to use as well and you can bend them round stuff.

Nick, very nice the pit looks excellent. Good to see you tried something new with the re-scribing, if it's not too late give it all a swipe with some fine steel wool and then brush the panel lines with a toothbrush dipped in plastic prep or alcohol it cleans them up very nicely. And if you plan on tackling re-scribing those old Airfix kits I would invest in a set of templates, Verlinden and I believe Tamiya or Hasegawa make some in various scales (though 48th) will pretty much cover everything invaluable for circles and access hatches etc. Also the set of radii are perfect for curved lines, find the correct template to match the line then use it to cut a curved piece of dymo to scribe against. Nose cones are no longer a problem. Old pieces of sprue from P.E. sets and the brass strip pulled from a cheap wooden ruler are great edges to use as well and you can bend them round stuff.

Cheers fella, and thanks for the comments from everyone else too.

I hear you there on the rescribing templates. I just bought two Hasegawa sets (one for circles, lines, squares etc, and one set of radii for fuselage etc) and tested them out on this 'ere rescribed Spitfire. They work a treat, and I'm looking forward to tackling Airfix raised panel line kits whenever I get round to digging them out. In fact, a Tonka's on the cards after this one.

Nice tip about the steel wool/toothbrush in alcohol combo. Will try that out.

Welcome back too Leigh. You've been conspicous by your absence!

Cheers,

Nick

Progress has been slow, but we have some movement! The cockpit's finished, and I'm ready to join the fuselage.

_D9O1563.jpg

I added a photo etch seatbelt from MDC, which was painted with my home made doped linen colour, and the silver then picked out. I glued the belts on with white glue. Not the neatest on the side of the seats I agree, but then I want them to hold, and it won't be seen when finished. I added a harness attachment point to the fuselage from a piece of Aeroclub brass wire and some fuse wire, and painted them silver.

_D9O1580.jpg

_D9O1577.jpg

_D9O1583.jpg

The oxygen hose was made from copper wire from an old flex wrapped around a tie from some dustbin bags, and then painted beige.

I added a few wires around the instrument panel, and tat's it really.

The shades of green all vary really in these shots, as I just took them quickly, but the match is the second photo down.

I've already glued the wings together, and the fuselage to wing join looks quite ropey already. The fuselage sits too high, and will need sanding down and rescribing.. :raincloud:

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Nick