* Spitfire Mk.I/II

I've used kitchen roll for the main bulk and blue tac for some areas. Blue tac can be a bit of a bugger to get of small bits if you leave it too long and the paint can really stick to it leaving ragged lines occasionally.

Whetever you do Nick, don't use cotton wool. The fibres can make a real mess when you try to remove it (though a quick flash with a fag lighter can sometimes help).

I like the sponge idea Den, I'll have to try that.

Damp tissue, with any gaps, and bare areas, coated in carpet-fitter's latex (cheaper than Copydex and Maskol.)

Edgar

Great method but i cant use the latex stuff as my partners severly allergic to it. Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative as i am getting tired of trying to cut up masking tape.

Cheers guys.

In the end, I just used masking tape, stuck in arcs from one side to the other inside the fuselage.

Spraying started this evening, with the first coat of Xtracolour Dark Earth. Despite the heat of the evening here, it performed fantastically. I do love that paint.

Cheers,

Nick

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

And with decals and a coat of Klear.

_D9O8132.jpg

Very, very annoyed about the ridge through the port roundel (too much spray against the masking tape) which I only really noticed after the roundel was on. The snuggling down effect of Klear makes it much worse, and I ain't taking it off and re-doing it.

Oh well. The guy I'm making it for is a pisshead so he won't notice.

Cheers,

Nick

Ok. I lifted the decal off with tape, but still need to find the kit with the replacement in..

In the meantime, I gave the rest of the kit a panel wash, and added the exhausts and undercarraige.

It sits 3mm higher on the port side, so I may have to take that out (why did I use superglue?) and trim it off. Or maybe not.

_D9O8190.jpg

Have just painted the gunsight, and once that's dry, it'll go in, and the windshield will go on.

More to follow.

Cheers,

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason, I left putting the gunsight in till the last minute, and the only way to get it in place and hold it at an angle whilst the glue set was like this...

_D9O8636.jpg

A very nervous 20 minutes later, all done.

Will post up in the critiques in the next day or so, as she's practically finished.

And yes, I know I've got the squadron codes the wrong way round.

Cheers,

Nick