Three F-86 Sabre Questions....

neilfgr2

What version is this F-86...

1318093.jpg

Can I do a Korean war F-86 out of this kit???

DSC03546.jpg

And what kit would i need to build this F-86 and can you get decals for it???

3_14.jpg

looking to build in 48th scale

Cheers,

Neil

Hi Neil,

Not an uber sabre expert, but...The Skyblazer sword looks like an A, E or pre block 30 F, It has slats. It's probably an E or early F, as there is only one A ship flying. Late Fs had fixed wings with the fence, see #3. See also Zekes post below!

I do know that that kit is not a true Mk.6 Sabre, the Hasegawa release of this kit had extended resin wingtips, whether the Revell release does or not, I could not say. You could probably get away with a late Korea Sabre though.

Hasegawa's Sabre can do #3 straight from the box, not quite sure if the 4thFIW flew F-30s in Korea, or if there are decals for that particular Sabre. Academy do a good Sabre from the box as well.

HTH, Joel

Edited by Bandwagon 106

Hey there Neil...

This is the SkyBlazers jet...

Serial #: 52-4959

Construction #: 191-655

Civil Registration:

N105BH

N86FR

Model: F-86F-30

History:

Delivered to FA Argentina as ???, 19??.

Recovered from Argentina and assembled at Coleman, TX, 1989.

World Wide Aircraft, Miami, FL, Sept. 1990-1992.

- Registered as N105BH.

- Flown in camoflage scheme.

Airplane Exchange Co, Miami, FL, June 1992-1995.

Thomas Righetti, Miami, FL, Sept. 24, 1997-2002.

- Registered as N86FR.

- Flown as USAF/Skyblazers/31201/FU-201.

F86 LLC, Coconut Grove, FL, 2003-2005.

- Flown as USAF/Skyblazers/31201/FU-201.

It has the un-modified, slatted wing, so you need to find a kit with that wing...the Hasegawa one is pretty good.

Not sure if you can do a Korean one out of the Revell box, if you ignore the extended wing tips of the -40 model, you can make a -30 out of it...but is that enough for Korean vintage?

Academy do a pretty neat little F-86-F30...but I've not come across those markings before.

Hope that's of some help...:D

Ha ha ha...looks like Joel beat me to it!...::P

Edited by zeke

I'm thinking that the original 'Skyblazer' F-86 was an A model, nobody makes an A model currently, there was a kit made by Lindberg many years ago and Cutting Edge made a conversion, now OOP.

You could probably get away with using the Revell kit, as I remember the Monogram kit is the "hard wing" version, maybe even the Esci kit.

Col. James Jabara was from my home town, a small airport here is named for him, he went to the same High School as I did, too, years apart, naturally. I think that Superscale/Microscale made or still makes decals for his jet.

Hi, Neil....The first picture shows a F86F-40. If you look closely, you'll notice leading edge slats and wing tip extensions. Those planes were mainly in service with the USA (Alaska), Spain, Argentina and Japan.

Please, note that during their service, ost of the F86F30 in service with the spanish air force or the argentinian air force, were updated to F86F-40 standards, so it's not difficult to think this was an original F30 updated to F40 during its service in Argentina.

The Revell kit is actually the good Hasegawa one but comes with added resin wingtips to depict a Canadian CL.13, with short wings and leading edge slat, quite similar to the F86A wing. i'm afraid It won't be useful to build it as a Korean war bird. You must look for a F86F-30 (Academy, Hasegawa or Monogram) or a F86A (Lindberg).

Cheers.....