• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#81 Dr_Fester

Dr_Fester

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:34 PM

Thats a damn shame Nick, would have been great to see it at Telford. But you are right about taking your time and getting it finished the way you want and not rushing it. Patience is a virtue I lack so respect for that.

Still keep us updated with the progress when work allows. My modelling has also taken a back seat as I seem to be working longer hours <_< , still shouldn't complain right?

Cheers

Doc

#82 merlin_11

merlin_11

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:22 AM

Turner great job so far. I have been following this project and is it me or do you use balsa wood for some of your mods? I am going to try and make a mold of a mustang with the turtle deck such as Voodoo. Any pointers on my mold? I am also going to use a Hasegawa kit for starters but any help on how you got your mold to come out so great would be helpfull. Keep up the great work.

#83 turnerdad

turnerdad

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:52 PM

Turner great job so far. I have been following this project and is it me or do you use balsa wood for some of your mods? I am going to try and make a mold of a mustang with the turtle deck such as Voodoo. Any pointers on my mold? I am also going to use a Hasegawa kit for starters but any help on how you got your mold to come out so great would be helpfull. Keep up the great work.

Hey merlin. I don't use Balsa, instead I use a synthetic modelling (tooling) board, I think it's called "ureol". We use it at work all the time (commercial model making company), and it's popular with our CNC guys. I'd be happy to send you some. I built Voodoo last year, not sure if you've seen it. Because of the amount of work done, and because I wanted to build more than one I decided to cast it up (well a work collegue did most of it-not really my thing) but there are plenty of casting people out there who would do it for you. Just a quick note though, you may want to hold off doing Voodoo...there should be a resin kit out sometime soonish, but I can say no more.
Red Baron on temporary hold right now as I'm kind off waiting for some bits to come back, but also I'm having a quick break as I need an OOB therapy build for a couple of weeks or so, but will be back with renewed vigour soon.

#84 PHaTNesS

PHaTNesS

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:12 PM

I'm having a quick break as I need an OOB therapy build for a couple of weeks or so, but will be back with renewed vigour soon.

And that's good to hear!

Al

#85 merlin_11

merlin_11

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:20 PM

Thats great, thank you for the input. I would love the pieces but living in the states may cause a $ problem. I would love to continue talking though about some mods please e-mail me sometime about the casting. You can reach me at Strega_7@msn.com. Thanks again. Oh and I will be trying mine in a 1/48 scale. Was Voodoo a 1/32?

#86 turnerdad

turnerdad

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:47 PM

Thats great, thank you for the input. I would love the pieces but living in the states may cause a $ problem. I would love to continue talking though about some mods please e-mail me sometime about the casting. You can reach me at Strega_7@msn.com. Thanks again. Oh and I will be trying mine in a 1/48 scale. Was Voodoo a 1/32?

If you need plans, go through WarbirdAeroPress, and look for Taichiro Yamashita. He can furnish you with plans for virtually any racer for a small fee. Voodoo was 1/32, with these complex liveries the larger scale definitely helps! If you need any help/advice just write here, or PM me.

#87 merlin_11

merlin_11

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:31 PM

Are all of your parts home grown or do you purchase from outside from such places as thrust decal or others? I also wanted to know about resins and where to get them. Clear sheets of plastic for vacum forming, what thickness .020 and so on. do you have any extra molds for vacum such as canopies for 1/48 scale you might be able to send my way. I tried to pm you but it said it would not let me dont know if you need to add me to some type of friend list or what. I sent Taichiro a e-mail about the layput prints so I hope to hear back from him soon. Thanks again.

-Jason

#88 Big Kev

Big Kev

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 09:16 AM

Man, how did I miss this build up until now? Fantastic work. I love scratch building threads, and follow them avidly, even when I'm not that interested in the subject.

I'm sure the Baron would look lovely as a hand scribed, less glossy ( but more scale finish), but I do like the high gloss of Voodoo personally. What to do????

I know I'm coming in way late here, and that you've already hinted at a preferred solution for the panel lines issue, but have you seen Paul Budzik's technique? He scratch built a 1/32 scale Tempest over at LSP at year or two ago, and actually scribed the panel lines into the paint work after painting was complete. He primed the model in a dark colour suitable for being exposed this way, and swears by this approach now. The results are amazingly subtle, and I hope Paul won't mind me linking to one of his photos:

Posted Image

Anyway, it's just another idea.

Kev

#89 keefr22

keefr22

Rebel without a clue....

• Gold Member
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 09:58 AM

Man, how did I miss this build up until now? Fantastic work. I love scratch building threads, and follow them avidly, even when I'm not that interested in the subject.

I know I'm coming in way late here, and that you've already hinted at a preferred solution for the panel lines issue, but have you seen Paul Budzik's technique? He scratch built a 1/32 scale Tempest over at LSP at year or two ago, and actually scribed the panel lines into the paint work after painting was complete. He primed the model in a dark colour suitable for being exposed this way, and swears by this approach now. The results are amazingly subtle, and I hope Paul won't mind me linking to one of his photos:

Posted Image

Kev

That does look like a fine idea, but I think it must require a remarkably light touch to be able to pull that off successfully - no use for me then! Isn't Mr Budzik a dentist? I bet he's a good one if he's as gentle as that working on your teeth....!!

Keef

#90 merlin_11

merlin_11

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:48 AM

Hey Turner tried my luck this weekend with trying to mold a canopie for a turtle deck. No acyual plans yet just tinkering around and I am having a challenge without the plans. Dont know if I'm going to tackle the molds but I really want to get some goods so I can still Vacu-Form. Any sea furys in the future? I would love to build Dreadnought but cant seem to find a mk 20. Well cant wait to see the updates on RB.

-Jason

#91 turnerdad

turnerdad

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:42 AM

Hey Turner tried my luck this weekend with trying to mold a canopie for a turtle deck. No acyual plans yet just tinkering around and I am having a challenge without the plans. Dont know if I'm going to tackle the molds but I really want to get some goods so I can still Vacu-Form. Any sea furys in the future? I would love to build Dreadnought but cant seem to find a mk 20. Well cant wait to see the updates on RB.

-Jason

Tried sending a message but your inbox maybe full as It got bounced back. Will try again later.

#92 turnerdad

turnerdad

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:46 AM

Posted Image

Kev

Interesting idea, but I know I'll chip the paint. I've got a plan though...
Thanks Kev

#93 Paul Budzik

Paul Budzik

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:08 PM

Kev,

Just caught this thread. Your more than welcome to post photos of the Tempest. You can find a gallery of the completed model along with a construction article here: http://paulbudzik.co...mpest-page.html.

The technique is really not that difficult, not much more difficult that drawing with a pencil. The hardest part is getting started because your hand starts shaking at first if you get focused on the fact that it's a one time do. You can't just erase the line. Just run some tests until your comfortable.

Paul

#94 spanky

spanky

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:30 PM

Interesting idea, but I know I'll chip the paint. I've got a plan though...
Thanks Kev

I'm from across the pond. Have been a collector of all things Red Baron RB-51. I was really enjoying this thread, but it stopped too early. Will you continue on some day?

Spanky

#95 turnerdad

turnerdad

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:42 PM

Hi Spanky. Only a temporary hiatus, I got bogged down in other projects and family stuff, plus economic situation didn't help! I plan to pick up in a month or so, basically I'm using our IPMS Nationals show in November as a schedule, so it WILL be finished by then! Gonna finish my Airacobra, then back on.
Cheers
Nick