1/32 RB-51 "Red Baron" racing Mustang

:hmmm:

I'll come clean. I'm going to build 2 Barons, one as per Voodoo (though hopefully I'll have time for a little hand polishing of lacquer build up areas), the other I'll be treating as a kit, so I will be scribing all the panel lines, and adding rivets with a squared off hyperdermic needle. This second model may go horribly wrong, but if it works as I hope it will, it should be a cracker-of course I've only got just under 3 months to finish both for Telford, though if I do get both done I'll bring both-I may even enter both in the comp-that would raise a few eyebrows I reckon! However the "as per Voodoo" gets priority,(and will be ready!!!), this other one will be more of a learning experience in recreating more scale finishes which allow for panel line weathering etc. I've already spent half a day experimenting using Klear, with mixed results.

New0003experi.jpg

New0002experi.jpg

I had to spray 5-6 coats of Klear, micromesh back, repeat twice more before I began to have a really nice surface, though unfortuanatly it never goes very hard, remaining slightly rubbery and marks with a fingernail (you can see the scatches on the right of the painted area), so I'm on a quest for other substances. But I'm encouraged, I've worked out how to do the rivets (well screws in removeable panels really)which look nice, as the screws are all silver and stand out nicely against the red paint. Also, black seems to work best against the bright red paint, anything else seems to disappear.

Done loads more on the body, but will post when cockpit finished (2 days I reckon)

Cheers all.

Hi Nick,

Ohhh, can't you go off folk?!!!!

Another superb build, (still think my 'DAGO RED' idea was good! I know, too much M.A.S.H.)

Just watch 'em change the colour of the back cloths!

Spence, why did Voodoo get you into hot water last year? You said what a lot of people thought.

As you said Voodoo was by far the best finish seen on any model at last years Nats.

You know the old adage, if you can't stand the heat, DON'T judge!!!!

Paul

Oh lord!!! Another master build in the making!! This is shaping up into one of my faves to date!!

I actually got to see the only surviving piece of Red Baron, part of the rudder I believe at Chino when I was a wee lad!! Really makes me enjoy seeing her being made in plastic form now so i can appreciare what she really looked like, in one piece.

Awesome work....just flat out awesome!!

Oh lord!!! Another master build in the making!! This is shaping up into one of my faves to date!!

I actually got to see the only surviving piece of Red Baron, part of the rudder I believe at Chino when I was a wee lad!! Really makes me enjoy seeing her being made in plastic form now so i can appreciare what she really looked like, in one piece.

Awesome work....just flat out awesome!!

Thanks Mike. I will be making a few of these available once the build is done-I am not going to sell it as a kit, but if anyone wants a set of parts they can have one at cost, plus p&p.They will be strictly for the more experienced modellers I reckon, as they won't exactly be Tamigawa quality if you know what I mean-paint masks and transfers, but not too bad! Will only be 5 or so max, no others after that. Just gotta get the thing finished, really fancy a nice quick therapy build, but must be disciplined!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Mike. I will be making a few of these available once the build is done-I am not going to sell it as a kit, but if anyone wants a set of parts they can have one at cost, plus p&p.They will be strictly for the more experienced modellers I reckon, as they won't exactly be Tamigawa quality if you know what I mean-paint masks and transfers, but not too bad! Will only be 5 or so max, no others after that. Just gotta get the thing finished, really fancy a nice quick therapy build, but must be disciplined!!!!!!!!!

Would you possibly add me to the list?? I really fancy the aircraft and also want to do a proper Rare Bear someday.....of course if you have that planned too..................... :)

Would you possibly add me to the list?? I really fancy the aircraft and also want to do a proper Rare Bear someday.....of course if you have that planned too..................... :)

Will do Mike. I guess it will be a "read it here first" kind of thing. Promised Paul Fisher one too, and he knows a few people who would like one too so may need to have a few more cast up. Don't know what price will be, depends on my casting guy but it won't be too bad, and as I say, I will not be looking at making any profit.

Have considered Rear Bear, but may take next year off-Miss Ashley II may have other ideas though...

Fantastic to see this masterclass on building, truly inspiring!

As for the 2007 IPMS, I consider it rather like the 1941 Oscars, which saw "How Green is my Valley?" :unsure: beat "Citizen Kane" and "The Maltese Falcon" to best film, time is the true judge of greatness. I have no clue what the 07 prizewinners were (no matter how deserving - sorry), but mention the Voodoo Racer and everyones remembers it and thinks it is a great model.

Best

Rich

Fantastic to see this masterclass on building, truly inspiring!

As for the 2007 IPMS, I consider it rather like the 1941 Oscars, which saw "How Green is my Valley?" :unsure: beat "Citizen Kane" and "The Maltese Falcon" to best film, time is the true judge of greatness. I have no clue what the 07 prizewinners were (no matter how deserving - sorry), but mention the Voodoo Racer and everyones remembers it and thinks it is a great model.

Best

Rich

Thanks Richard, there were some beauties at Telford 07, some absolutely amazing ships amongst others. The overall winner was a (can't remember scale) 1/600? ish RMS Mauretania and a deserved winner it was. Amazing, covered in 1000 or so tiny figures (configured as aWW 1 troop carrier). Definately the model that I would like to have walked off with at the end of the show.

Thanks Richard, there were some beauties at Telford 07, some absolutely amazing ships amongst others. The overall winner was a (can't remember scale) 1/600? ish RMS Mauretania and a deserved winner it was. Amazing, covered in 1000 or so tiny figures (configured as aWW 1 troop carrier). Definately the model that I would like to have walked off with at the end of the show.

Now that just goes to show that like the rest of us IPMS judges are only human!! There is no way that I'd have voted that ship my favourite - simply because, even it that small scale, I think that flat etched figures are dreadful, & however well painted, just can't look realistic!! I agree that there were a lot of stunning models in the comp - scratchbuilt Felixstowe, Sunderland & Heyford I seem to recall were some other aircraft gems there. But I still think its criminal that Voodoo didn't get placed at least 1st in class! :(

Keef

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. Have managed to get a load done over the last couple of weeks, but still got a way to go. First, built up the new main wheels, only doing one as I'll be casting them anyway. For some reason, the Baron has 8 spoked wheel hubs as opposed to the standard P-51 10 spoked version. I made a template for the spokes and used a hub from the Trumpeter kit as a basis. Hope the pics will describe what I did.

wheeletc0001experi.jpg

I then added plastic spokes at the correct angles.

bitswheeletc0001experi.jpg

The white "cross" in the bottom right hand corner is a simple template I made up so I could cut identical spokes of the correct width and angle.

wheeletc0002experi.jpg

I made a plug out of sheet perspex with the correct shape of the cast spoke area, and went around bedding the hub

wheeletc0003experi.jpg

wheeletc0004experi.jpg.

I then cleaned it up, primed etc, and made a new rear wheel face but no pics just yet.

I've almost finished the cockpit, done the right side and nearly done the left. Plasticard, lead wire, acrylic, dead cat etc, the usual detailing stuff.

bitswheeletc0002experi.jpg

bitswheeletc0003experi.jpg

Canopy is finished, just needs polishing and gloss coating, took ages, was a real bugger to get right but I'm happy with it now. It will be cast in clear resin, and will look shiny shiny when finished.

wheeletc0006experi.jpg

I've added depth to the cockpit area, as I simplified Voodoo's cockpit as I was unsure what the casting process could handle, but I'm more confident now, so I can detail it up more.

wheeletc0007experi.jpg

wheeletc0008experi.jpg

The canopy rails are in brass

I'm quite a bit further on from this now, but thought I would make a start on the update while I could.

There is a stack more detailing to do, but after the fuselage halves have been cast up. Everything else has big undercuts etc.

Edited by turnerdad

Me tooooooooo!!!!!! :heart:

The main pattern work is finished, all I need to do now is spray a light coat of highly thinned black over all the individual parts, then flat them back with fine sandpaper, and spray a couple of light coats of gloss cellulose orange ( which helps to locate the parts when the opaque silicone is poured all over them, and which will have to be cut out ) , then get all the bits cast up. While that is going on I can build the props, exhausts and finish the main wheel.

Finished the left side of the cockpit first though.

pattern0001experi.jpg

pattern0009experi.jpg

pattern0008experi.jpg

pattern0002experi.jpg

pattern0004experi.jpg

pattern0006experi.jpg

pattern0007experi.jpg

pattern0005experi.jpg

pattern0003experi.jpg

All the parts in grey are new, or converted from Voodoo, the rest I don't need to recast.

Got some photoetch artwork to do, may try it myself as not great on the computer and it's all 2D.

Man, I need a therapy build!!!

Edited by turnerdad

Magic :lol:

I'm amazed at how easy you have made this build look, you're modelling skills are top notch, a level I hope I can someday match (though it'll be a loooooong way into the future!)

I'll be watching her progress with interest- and a towel over the laptop so as to stop the drool wrecking the thing ;)

Turner dude, that looks awesome. Put me down for one too please :pray:

Jen.

I'll have to speak to my casting guy, grease palms so to speak, see what he would charge me for a set of parts. Reckon I could get out 10 sets after my 2, before my boss would take too much notice and demand I charge commercial rates. Just be aware, my references for parts of the cockpit and inside the canopy have been rather limited, so there has been some amount of "filling the blanks". I've basically got 3 photos, a couple of good ones showing most of the right side, some of the left and all of the main instrument panel. The third pic is actually of the cockpit area post crash, lying in the desert, but it has helped. Result with your F1 cockpit! Saw that, exactly why I never throw any old kit parts away.

Magic :lol:

I'm amazed at how easy you have made this build look, you're modelling skills are top notch, a level I hope I can someday match (though it'll be a loooooong way into the future!)

I'll be watching her progress with interest- and a towel over the laptop so as to stop the drool wrecking the thing ;)

My skills are mediocre, I'm a better finisher (well more experienced anyway), but if you need any advice or hints just ask. Car body filler rocks, best invention for this sort of modelling.

Edited by turnerdad

I'll have to speak to my casting guy, grease palms so to speak, see what he would charge me for a set of parts. Reckon I could get out 10 sets after my 2, before my boss would take too much notice and demand I charge commercial rates. Just be aware, my references for parts of the cockpit and inside the canopy have been rather limited, so there has been some amount of "filling the blanks". I've basically got 3 photos, a couple of good ones showing most of the right side, some of the left and all of the main instrument panel. The third pic is actually of the cockpit area post crash, lying in the desert, but it has helped. Result with your F1 cockpit! Saw that, exactly why I never throw any old kit parts away.

I'm not sure if you have seen this already, but here is a site with loads of pics that would make good documentation for your project.

http://www.enginehistory.org/Convention/20...red_baron_1.htm

Thanks Race 5. Yes, I had used that site before starting the actual build, and printed off a load of pics, but I have to confess I'd forgotten about it as I've been trying to access the Warbirdaeropress photo site that I has also used, and which now seems offline, as all I ever get is a "critical error" message. Looking back through this site I've managed to find a little more info on the canopy innards which is a big help, also the internal radiator area which I may modify slightly. I'm stil lacking a little in the area around and directly behind the seat, but I reckon I can live with that. Also noticed a nice pic of the unfinished left cockpit area which somehow I had missed before, and luckily looks close enough to mine, though again I may make a couple of small alterations when I come to build the thing. Many thanks, has genuinely helped.

PS, like your username,anything to do with the Baron?

Edited by turnerdad

Would be interested in knowing what kinda price you had in mind for one !! :analintruder:

Well it is difficult to say, I had never intended to sell it as a kit, so I would really have to talk to the guy who is casting the main bits up, and see what he would want for running further batches. I am in the very early stages of talking to someone here who is interested in producing it as a kit, but I am a bit worried about my superior bodging skills being exposed! I intend to have 12 sets of parts cast, 2 for me and the rest for genuinely interested parties on the strict understanding that it should be attempted by experienced modellers really, as there will be fit etc issues. I won't be looking at making lots of money, so I will sell them on pretty much at cost,(if I had to hazard a guess, £30-£40 ish) but also if this other interested party does decide to take the bits off my hands, then that would end any involvement I would have in selling it as a kit. Basically, if people are desperate to build one, I'm very sympathetic. I'll get my 2 built first, then I'll decide what to do. Hope that helps.

Thanks Race 5. Yes, I had used that site before starting the actual build, and printed off a load of pics, but I have to confess I'd forgotten about it as I've been trying to access the Warbirdaeropress photo site that I has also used, and which now seems offline, as all I ever get is a "critical error" message. Looking back through this site I've managed to find a little more info on the canopy innards which is a big help, also the internal radiator area which I may modify slightly. I'm stil lacking a little in the area around and directly behind the seat, but I reckon I can live with that. Also noticed a nice pic of the unfinished left cockpit area which somehow I had missed before, and luckily looks close enough to mine, though again I may make a couple of small alterations when I come to build the thing. Many thanks, has genuinely helped.

PS, like your username,anything to do with the Baron?

My screen name is a result of the Red Baron. I was only seven years old we she went in, but it is the one thing that got me interested in avaiation. I was also a big fan of Voodoo when it was in a true racer configuration with Bob Hannah at the controls. Now I am mostly a Strega fan. I am off to Reno on Tues. Hopefully we will have a much safer year this year, although one pilot has already been lost in a testing accident on Sat.