1/32 RB-51 "Red Baron" racing Mustang

My screen name is a result of the Red Baron. I was only seven years old we she went in, but it is the one thing that got me interested in avaiation. I was also a big fan of Voodoo when it was in a true racer configuration with Bob Hannah at the controls. Now I am mostly a Strega fan. I am off to Reno on Tues. Hopefully we will have a much safer year this year, although one pilot has already been lost in a testing accident on Sat.

Have to say I was very disappointed when Voodoo reverted back to stock, what a waste IMHO. Built Voodoo last year, what a paint scheme, loved doing it. The days of modified unlimited Mustangs seems numbered, such a shame. I like the Furies and Cats, but there is something about the Mustangs that goes beyond their sleek lines. Toying with doing Miss Ashley II next, what a plane, and such a tragic end.

Let us know how the trip goes, any interesting pics would be most welcome here too.

• 4 weeks later...
Hmm... updates silent for almost a month, what progress Nick? :hmmm: Will the Baron be ready for SMW?

Cheers

Doc

Hey Doc,

I know, things havn't been going well time wise. I'm still waiting for some bits from my casting guy, who keeps stalling. He is busy though so I can't really blame him, but my stuff keeps getting bumped back. I have to be careful what I say... :tapedshut: However I've not been idle, and I've got enough to be getting on with. The cockpit is ready for painting, and I've built some of the sub assemblies, U/C, flaps etc. But I've no idea when I'll get the canopy and a few other bits and I seem to have to fight to get anything at all. Plus I'm incredibly busy at work, 10-12 hours a day,etc etc so I'm afraid the Baron won't be ready for the Nats, and I've decided to give SMW a miss this year. I don't want to rush it and mess it up, so I'll take my time and get it right. I'll bring it to the Milton Keynes show I reckon. I'm still hoping to finish it by Christmas. Bummer, but thanks for the interest. I'm hoping to have the pit finished soon though, and will post some pics then.

Cheers.

Thats a damn shame Nick, would have been great to see it at Telford. But you are right about taking your time and getting it finished the way you want and not rushing it. Patience is a virtue I lack so respect for that.

Still keep us updated with the progress when work allows. My modelling has also taken a back seat as I seem to be working longer hours <_< , still shouldn't complain right?

Cheers

Doc

Turner great job so far. I have been following this project and is it me or do you use balsa wood for some of your mods? I am going to try and make a mold of a mustang with the turtle deck such as Voodoo. Any pointers on my mold? I am also going to use a Hasegawa kit for starters but any help on how you got your mold to come out so great would be helpfull. Keep up the great work.

Turner great job so far. I have been following this project and is it me or do you use balsa wood for some of your mods? I am going to try and make a mold of a mustang with the turtle deck such as Voodoo. Any pointers on my mold? I am also going to use a Hasegawa kit for starters but any help on how you got your mold to come out so great would be helpfull. Keep up the great work.

Hey merlin. I don't use Balsa, instead I use a synthetic modelling (tooling) board, I think it's called "ureol". We use it at work all the time (commercial model making company), and it's popular with our CNC guys. I'd be happy to send you some. I built Voodoo last year, not sure if you've seen it. Because of the amount of work done, and because I wanted to build more than one I decided to cast it up (well a work collegue did most of it-not really my thing) but there are plenty of casting people out there who would do it for you. Just a quick note though, you may want to hold off doing Voodoo...there should be a resin kit out sometime soonish, but I can say no more.

Red Baron on temporary hold right now as I'm kind off waiting for some bits to come back, but also I'm having a quick break as I need an OOB therapy build for a couple of weeks or so, but will be back with renewed vigour soon.

Thats great, thank you for the input. I would love the pieces but living in the states may cause a $ problem. I would love to continue talking though about some mods please e-mail me sometime about the casting. You can reach me at [email protected]. Thanks again. Oh and I will be trying mine in a 1/48 scale. Was Voodoo a 1/32?

If you need plans, go through WarbirdAeroPress, and look for Taichiro Yamashita. He can furnish you with plans for virtually any racer for a small fee. Voodoo was 1/32, with these complex liveries the larger scale definitely helps! If you need any help/advice just write here, or PM me.

Are all of your parts home grown or do you purchase from outside from such places as thrust decal or others? I also wanted to know about resins and where to get them. Clear sheets of plastic for vacum forming, what thickness .020 and so on. do you have any extra molds for vacum such as canopies for 1/48 scale you might be able to send my way. I tried to pm you but it said it would not let me dont know if you need to add me to some type of friend list or what. I sent Taichiro a e-mail about the layput prints so I hope to hear back from him soon. Thanks again.

-Jason

Man, how did I miss this build up until now? Fantastic work. I love scratch building threads, and follow them avidly, even when I'm not that interested in the subject.

I'm sure the Baron would look lovely as a hand scribed, less glossy ( but more scale finish), but I do like the high gloss of Voodoo personally. What to do????

I know I'm coming in way late here, and that you've already hinted at a preferred solution for the panel lines issue, but have you seen Paul Budzik's technique? He scratch built a 1/32 scale Tempest over at LSP at year or two ago, and actually scribed the panel lines into the paint work after painting was complete. He primed the model in a dark colour suitable for being exposed this way, and swears by this approach now. The results are amazingly subtle, and I hope Paul won't mind me linking to one of his photos:

Tempest9.jpg

Anyway, it's just another idea.

Kev

Man, how did I miss this build up until now? Fantastic work. I love scratch building threads, and follow them avidly, even when I'm not that interested in the subject.

I know I'm coming in way late here, and that you've already hinted at a preferred solution for the panel lines issue, but have you seen Paul Budzik's technique? He scratch built a 1/32 scale Tempest over at LSP at year or two ago, and actually scribed the panel lines into the paint work after painting was complete. He primed the model in a dark colour suitable for being exposed this way, and swears by this approach now. The results are amazingly subtle, and I hope Paul won't mind me linking to one of his photos:

Tempest9.jpg

Kev

That does look like a fine idea, but I think it must require a remarkably light touch to be able to pull that off successfully - no use for me then! Isn't Mr Budzik a dentist? I bet he's a good one if he's as gentle as that working on your teeth....!!

Keef

Hey Turner tried my luck this weekend with trying to mold a canopie for a turtle deck. No acyual plans yet just tinkering around and I am having a challenge without the plans. Dont know if I'm going to tackle the molds but I really want to get some goods so I can still Vacu-Form. Any sea furys in the future? I would love to build Dreadnought but cant seem to find a mk 20. Well cant wait to see the updates on RB.

-Jason

Hey Turner tried my luck this weekend with trying to mold a canopie for a turtle deck. No acyual plans yet just tinkering around and I am having a challenge without the plans. Dont know if I'm going to tackle the molds but I really want to get some goods so I can still Vacu-Form. Any sea furys in the future? I would love to build Dreadnought but cant seem to find a mk 20. Well cant wait to see the updates on RB.

-Jason

Tried sending a message but your inbox maybe full as It got bounced back. Will try again later.

Tempest9.jpg

Kev

Interesting idea, but I know I'll chip the paint. I've got a plan though...

Thanks Kev

• 4 months later...
Interesting idea, but I know I'll chip the paint. I've got a plan though...

Thanks Kev

I'm from across the pond. Have been a collector of all things Red Baron RB-51. I was really enjoying this thread, but it stopped too early. Will you continue on some day?

Spanky

Hi Spanky. Only a temporary hiatus, I got bogged down in other projects and family stuff, plus economic situation didn't help! I plan to pick up in a month or so, basically I'm using our IPMS Nationals show in November as a schedule, so it WILL be finished by then! Gonna finish my Airacobra, then back on.

Cheers

Nick