1/32 RB-51 "Red Baron" racing Mustang

I am just about to start building the "Red Baron", a famous American pylon racer from the 1970's, and winner of many air racing trophies and the worlds fastest piston aircraft until quite recently. I won't go into too much history here, there is plenty of info on the web and in print, except the Baron crashed while competing at the 1979 Reno Air Races, thankfully the pilot Steve Hinton survived.

This build follows on from Voodoo, another modified Mustang with a truly wacky but awesome paint scheme that I completed last year. I hope to draw on my experiences there and improve the quality of my build. Voodoo was converted from the 1/32 Hasegawa kit, dated now, but an excellent starting point. It has raised panel lines for a start, so no filling there-most of these racers have their panels lines filled in to improve aerodynamics, so they can look a little spartan in areas( especially if you are unaware of that). They just got sanded off. Again I won't go into too much detail about Voodoo, suffice to say that I had to build a new radiator assembly, cockpit, fuselage spine, tail, tailplanes chopped down and elevators separated, wings the same, new scratch built wheels, nose, spinner, props etc...and of course canopy. I then had everything cast up so I could produce more in the future, effectively making it a kit. Luckily the Baron shares some commonality with Voodoo, so the conversion from that won't be as extreme, but she will need a new stock radiator which I will graft on from another Hasegawa kit, and new nose and counter rotating prop which will be the biggest job. The cockpit is different too, but not too bad, though the canopy sliding mechanism is slightly different.

Anyway, I will post some pics of my Voodoo parts, and I've added the stock kit main assemblies as a guide to the difference in shape.

DSC_044323270002.jpg

The beige coloured fuselage parts will be what I'll be chopping up as it's just standard fast cast resin. The clear fuselage half at the bottom is what the new pieces will be cast in, it's extremely tough, stable resin.

DSC_044223260001.jpg

DSC_044723310005.jpg

DSC_044623300004.jpg

And my references...

And Voodoo.

voodoo20001.jpg

Edited by turnerdad

Voodoo was without doubt my favourite model in last years Telford comp, the finish on it is simply outstanding!

So, I'll also take my seat in the audience to watch this one take shape! :popcorn: (dunno how you'll be able to hear yourself think with all this popcorn crunching going on!! :D )

Keef

I'll be watching this one. :popcorn:

That Voodoo build is fantastic. Is that Tom Cruise sitting in the cockpit?? ;)

Yup that's Tom Cruise allright, he's sitting on a cushion though... :innocent:

Gonna turn up the spinner on Friday, then I can work back onto the nose. But I'm gonna start fettling tonight, I really hope I get this finished in time for Telford. I will, I will.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a relatively quiet weekend, so managed to spend around 14 hours working on the Baron. First was dealing with the canopy area, as the canopy is a slightly different shape from Voodoo. The front and rear slopes are steeper so I blocked them back according to my plans. I had to build up the area where the canopy front would sit when closed, and then had to bed the rear. The process of "bedding" is basically a process to mirror a surface shape where 2 otherwise differently shaped surfaces meet. Once I was happy with the angle and quality of the canopy I stretched some parcel tape over the back...

DSC_043523340001.jpg

I then smothered some car body filler on the fuselage...

DSC_043623350002.jpg

placed the canopy on top and positioned it correctly, squeezing some more filler into any gaps with a pointy filler knife. The parcel tape forms a relatively flat surface ( though thin P card would be better as the tape can wrinkle but the tolerances were a bit too fine), and the filler won't stick to it.

DSC_043823370004.jpg

Once the filler had set (5 mins)...DSC_043923380005.jpg

I removed the canopy...

DSC_044023390006-1.jpg

and generally cleaned the area up...

DSC_030926660009.jpg

The slot in the middle will eventually house the canopy sliding mechanism.

I decided to stick to the plans closely, they capture the look of the real thing perfectly and I will be using them to produce the artwork for the decals later, (well a friend will be doing the computer magic and printing) so the plans and model need to correspond accurately. There seem to be some issues, I don't know if the Hasegawa kit is very innacurate, or the plans aren't 100%, but I found I needed to move the tail wheel area forward about 3mm. Razorsaw and filler...The long pencil lines you can see on the fuselage side above the tailwheel area I drew on before cutting,and help when re-attaching the tail, by allowing me to make sure I glue the back on straight, not wonky (the line would kink)

DSC_044723460007-1.jpg

Next came the radiator intake area, so out came the hacksaw and another Hasegawa P-51 bit the dust. As I was using Voodoos body which had a highly modified streamlined radiator and the Baron had a stock one, I had to graft a new one on. Just a case of removing the respective areas and popping the new bits on, going by the scaled plans. Once that was done, again blending the parts in with car body filler (great stuff) I re did the small belly exhaust area, as it was very indistinct on the kit.

DSC_045323520008-1.jpg

DSC_045423530009-1.jpg

I also added a roof to the radiator intake trunking, as otherwise you could see the bottom of my cockpit, and that just wouldn't do dammit...

I then built up the fin with P-card and filler, looks messy but it is quick and accurate as long as you take it easy,and keep a close eye on the plans

DSC_028526380001.jpg

DSC_028926420002.jpg

DSC_029726500003.jpg

DSC_030626590007.jpg

After this I just cleaned the whole lot up a bit. It looks a little crude currently, but it is important to get the basic foundations right, shape and casting friendly. Once I start getting primer on it should begin to look sweet.

I will be casting all these bits up later, so any weakness doesn't really matter. Next will be the nose and prop, then cockpit finishing and detailing, and finally new wing tips

DSC_030126540005.jpg

DSC_029926520004.jpg

DSC_030326560006.jpg

Cheers all, back to work tomorrow, yipee. :jump_fire:

Edited by turnerdad

Oh my God! Voodoo got me into some hot water last year! Mustn't criticise judging at comps. Mustn't criticise judging at comps. Mustn't... :whistle:

Joking aside that was by far the best finish seen on any model at last years Nats. Actually, it may be the best finish I've seen on any model, at any show. If you ever get bored of it, my number is...

Spence - In Awe... :analintruder:

Oh my God! Voodoo got me into some hot water last year! Mustn't criticise judging at comps. Mustn't criticise judging at comps. Mustn't... :whistle:

Joking aside that was by far the best finish seen on any model at last years Nats. Actually, it may be the best finish I've seen on any model, at any show. If you ever get bored of it, my number is...

Spence - In Awe... :analintruder:

I've seen (and posted replies to) some of your work, it's very nice, that Mistel, uber sweet. Don't you write for Military In Scale? (I think that's right). Read an interesting article about Telford comp last year in that mag. That Scorpion...wow. Need I say more? If I'm wrong apologies.

I've seen (and posted replies to) some of your work, it's very nice, that Mistel, uber sweet. Don't you write for Military In Scale? (I think that's right). Read an interesting article about Telford comp last year in that mag. That Scorpion...wow. Need I say more? If I'm wrong apologies.

Hey there! Yeah I write for MIS; no, sorry I edit MIS - sometimes I forget who's in charge..!!! :whistle:

The Scorpion?! Please don't get me started on that... :deadhorse:

Spence - MIS Chief cook and bottle washer...

Well, that's just proper modelmaking, that is!! Wonderful work, & many thanks for sharing your techniques in producing what is surely going to be another masterpiece to rival Voodoo!! Brilliant stuff....!!! :speak_cool::worthy:

Keef

Thanks for the kind words. Bunked off work a little early and bagged the lathe for a couple of hours, the front part of the spinner is now done, rest coming soon as it is the only part I really can't do at home, then I can do the nose, and it should flow nicely after that.

Spinner done, just have to clean up the back of the front part a little, and bed in the correct shape where the props enter the spinner, which is more rectangular. I milled a larger space and will make a male plug of the correct profiles (front and back parts are shaped differently). I want the props to counter-rotate when blown on. May not work but at least I will be able to position the blades however I want.

DSC_035127080002.jpg

DSC_035227090003.jpg

DSC_035027070001.jpg

What is the material you used for the spinner?

THC

It's a "chemical" wood, funnily enough we call it "chemi-wood" at work (we're an imaginative lot!), commonly known as Uriol I think. It comes in different densities from extremely dense and strong to virtually polystyrene type stuff. This green stuff is on the denser side, good for turning and milling, but hard to work by hand. I'll find out were we get it at work tomorrow and post. It is great for making any manner of thing, we use it for all our pattern making and chuck out obscene quantities, so I'm able to "rescue" some from the skip. Close to a lifetimes supply! Oh, and as it isn't wood, it has no grain. Result.

Edited by turnerdad

It's a "chemical" wood, funnily enough we call it "chemi-wood" at work (we're an imaginative lot!), commonly known as Uriol I think. It comes in different densities from extremely dense and strong to virtually polystyrene type stuff. This green stuff is on the denser side, good for turning and milling, but hard to work by hand. I'll find out were we get it at work tomorrow and post. It is great for making any manner of thing, we use it for all our pattern making and chuck out obscene quantities, so I'm able to "rescue" some from the skip. Close to a lifetimes supply! Oh, and as it isn't wood, it has no grain. Result.

Sounds like "Renn-shape", which American scratchbuilders rave about. I'll be interested to find out where to get it too....!!

Cheers

Keef

Aaaaahhhhh! A lathe :heart: What wouldn't I give for one of those & the skillset to be able to use it :rolleyes:

I'm also interested in the faux wood... could come in very handy scratchbuilding large chunks of fuselages or wings. :analintruder:

This green stuff is a tooling board, used for cnc milling if commercial and industrial prototypes. We get it from Axson UK, problem is it's quite pricey, about £200 for a very roughly 5 ft slab. The sort of thing some enterprising model supplier could buy and cut up into useful sections and sell :shutup:

If anyone would like some I could probably sort something out, or could bring a load to Telford.

Spinner now completed, have cut out nose shape.

If anyone would like some I could probably sort something out, or could bring a load to Telford.

I would greatly appreciate some, if you have any spare! Telford would do me fine, as with the projects I have to get done before then I'm not likely to have chance to start scratchbuilding anything!

Cheers

Keith

I would greatly appreciate some, if you have any spare! Telford would do me fine, as with the projects I have to get done before then I'm not likely to have chance to start scratchbuilding anything!

Cheers

Keith

You will need to remind me closer to the day, and since you asked so nicely I don't want to let you down! I'll chop a big load of several densities and bring it along, stick some in a bag and write Feefr22 on it. Damn I'm good.

You will need to remind me closer to the day, and since you asked so nicely I don't want to let you down! I'll chop a big load of several densities and bring it along, stick some in a bag and write Feefr22 on it. Damn I'm good.

Excellent - I'll try to remember to remind you (but writing Keefr22 on the bag may be better!! :) )

Thanks muchly, it's much appreciated! :speak_cool:

Keith