What are the origins of these kits?

desmojen

Jen,

IIRC the Revell F-4C/D is a reboxing of the Hasegawa kit, but from what Ive heard its a pretty good kit and one that is on my shopping list :thumbsup2:

Cant help with the others Im afraid.

HTH

Bex

Does anyone know the origin of these kits?

Skyraider

and

Phantom

and

Sabre

Are the Phantom and Sabre reboxes of the Hasegawa, and is the Skyraider any good?

Jen.

Hi Jen - The F-4 is the Monogram model as is the AD-5. The F-86 is Hasegawa I think. ( recessed panel lines in the blurb is the giveaway on this one) And if you want to do a canadair version it will probably need some minor detail changes like air vents etc.

I've never built the Skyraider - but its quite an old mould so I wouldn't expect Tamyagawa quality - but then Monograms models were never that bad anyway!!

HTH

Jonners

The Skyraider is Monogram, and while a little basic, it does have a 'cockpit', (seats, floor, consoles, dashboard- no pilots on pins here....) finely raised panel lines, and good overall shape. It's also the only option for a 2 seat in 1/72 (or 4 seat????).

The F-4 is also Monogram, but again is a good kit with good detail. To my eye it looks better (more brutish!) as an F-4 than the Hasegawa. Raised panel lines, if that bothers you (doesn't me) and apparently, this issue has both the F-4D and F-4J parts in the box (or is that the Accurate Miniatures release of the 1/72 kit?).

The Sabre I have no idea.

The F-4 is the Monogram one, with all the parts from the original and "Air Defence" issues. I'm building it for a review at the moment. It's got raised detail, but nicely done: it's a typical Monogram "century series" jet in most ways. The engineering is simple, and the fit is pretty good. There's nothing up the intakes at all. It certainly looks like a Phantom to me. The Sabre, which I've had for a while, is definitely Hasegawa. Usual not so good Revell instructions for both, and the usual (nowadays) big, well printed decal sheet with interesting markings for both, too.

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon

The Sabre is most definately the Hasegawa kit and an absolute bargain given that they were 25.99 in the Hasegawa box, decal sheet is good as well :speak_cool:. The A-1 and F-4 are both Monogram kits, the Phantom is probably the best F-4C/D available at the moment even given the raised panel lines. If you are desperate for a scribed version then converting the Hase J is your best bet and not much of a stretch

Cool! Thanks guys :thumbsup:

That's the trouble with Revell kits IMO, you never know what you're getting in the damn box! The Phantom is a case in point because you might reasonably expect it to be the Hase kit in there since they also re-box those.

The Skyraider is my favourite sort and I'd never seen the kit before so had no idea where that one was from. I don't have a problem with Monogram kits at all, they are usually a lot better than their age might lead you to suspect. Might just treat myself to all three sometime soon :D

Jen.

You can never go wrong with a Monogram kit! Lovely Kits as you say Jen, i think they are great value for money!

Buy them all!!!!!

Thats just about the best F-4C/D kit in that scale too, its only problem is raised panel lines.

Most places it loos better than the Hasegawa kit, except for the cockpit which could be served better with a resin one...

But at about £15 its near perfect

Thats just about the best F-4C/D kit in that scale too, its only problem is raised panel lines.

Most places it loos better than the Hasegawa kit, except for the cockpit which could be served better with a resin one...

But at about £15 its near perfect

Yes true but the Hasegawa kit has raised panel lines too! But as you say either will look outstanding with an Aires tub in!!!

Yes true but the Hasegawa kit has raised panel lines too! But as you say either will look outstanding with an Aires tub in!!!

Sorry, I didnt mean to imply that the hasegawa kit has engraved panel lines...

I just meant the monogram kits only problem is raised panel lines...

Sorry, I didnt mean to imply that the hasegawa kit has engraved panel lines...

I just meant the monogram kits only problem is raised panel lines...

Hey no need to apologize mate! Just looked at mine sat on the shelf and you can't tell? Ah heck have a look yourself!!

2007_0322planes000000002.jpg

Revell has released at least 4 Skyraiders. The original Revell Skyraider was an AD-6 in 1/40th scale. Pretty good for its time, but today would seem rather gimmicky with all of the movable parts. Monogram issued an AD-5 before they standardized on 1/72 for the smaller kits. If you place it next to a Hasegawa A-1, it is smaller, especially the tail. You would be better off finding the RHVP kit. Later Monogram produced an excellent 1/48 AD-7/A-1J (?) kit. Later, Revell released the 1/48 Matchbox AD-5 kit.

One problem with the AD-5 series is that it is hard to find plans for this version, and if you do, hard to find one that is accurate. Douglas enlarged the tail for the AD-5 series.

Hope that this is of some use.

Grant

For the Skyraider, I looked in my copy of PAK-20 (Plastic Aircraft kits of the 20th Century by John W.Burns) and under the Monogram listing are the following, I will show box number, version, scale.

Pre-1970

PA146-100, A1E, 1/72

Post-1970

0146, A1E, 1/72

5419, A1H, 1/48

5429, AD6, 1/48

5454, A-1H (TD), 1/48 TD means Tour of Duty and issued in 1988-89

6807, A1E, 1/72

Monogram-Europe

74021, A1H, 1/40

I haven't bother to go through the Revell listing, there's pages of it, and John Burns would be the first to say that the listings aren't complete. There are additional books to buy which has corrections and additions which I don't have. It would seem that Monogram did put out a 1/72 scale kit.

I have a couple of the Monogram kits in 1/72, I also got the cockpit detail set from CobraCompany ( I think that's the name) and also the Falcon AEW conversion for the Monogram kit.

Cheers,

Robert

Edited by kitnut617

I've never built the Skyraider - but its quite an old mould so I wouldn't expect Tamyagawa quality - but then Monograms models were never that bad anyway!!

"Quite an old mold"!?!?!? It came out the same week as the F-4C/D in 1979. Okay, maybe that's old, but not "quite old" (you young whippersnapper). In many ways the Monogram Spad is more accurate than the Tamiya kit.

J

"Quite an old mold"!?!?!? It came out the same week as the F-4C/D in 1979. Okay, maybe that's old, but not "quite old" (you young whippersnapper). In many ways the Monogram Spad is more accurate than the Tamiya kit.

J

That can't be right. I had a Monogram Skyraider when I was a kid, and that was at least 10 years before 1979!

John

That can't be right. I had a Monogram Skyraider when I was a kid, and that was at least 10 years before 1979!

John

Might have been the 72nd A-1E or perhaps the 1/40th Revell one - that one had folding wings and I remember building both in early 70's.

Matt

Might have been the 72nd A-1E or perhaps the 1/40th Revell one - that one had folding wings and I remember building both in early 70's.

Matt

Isn't the 1/72 A-1E the one we're discussing? That's the kit in Jen's original post.

John

I thought we were talking about 1/48. The 1/48 (vs. 1/40) Monogram (not Revell) Skyraider and F-4C/D came from the distributor in the same carton. I know because I worked at the store where we stocked them, and I opened the carton from MMD that fateful day in 1979. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was dancing about a foot above the floor. Both were brand spanking new kits.

J

Hi Jen - The F-4 is the Monogram model as is the AD-5. The F-86 is Hasegawa I think. ( recessed panel lines in the blurb is the giveaway on this one) And if you want to do a canadair version it will probably need some minor detail changes like air vents etc.

HTH

Jonners

Correct in regards to all the kits.

The Sabre is the Hasegawa kit with one addition, resin wing-tip extensions to make a Canadiar built Mk 6 Sabre. I don't think you get the resin in any of the Hasegawa kits. And the Revell boxing is far cheaper in my neck of the woods.