Phantom FG1 Question

Jabba

I have made a start to the Hasegawa 1/48th Phantom FG1, making the 'Black spined ' XV574 aircraft from 111Sqn. I would like to know if the catapult hooks under the inner wing were retained for the RAF aircraft, as I am sure that the ones transferred from the 'fishheads' would have had them. I am not sure though if later in their career these were faired over as per the FGR2s. I have looked in many books that I have but none seem to show a good photograph of the underneath to show what I would like to know.

I have made a start to the Hasegawa 1/48th Phantom FG1, making the 'Black spined ' XV574 aircraft from 111Sqn. I would like to know if the catapult hooks under the inner wing were retained for the RAF aircraft, as I am sure that the ones transferred from the 'fishheads' would have had them. I am not sure though if later in their career these were faired over as per the FGR2s. I have looked in many books that I have but none seem to show a good photograph of the underneath to show what I would like to know.

Jabba,

Don't forget that not all of the FG.1's were delivered directly to the Fisheads anyway - XV574 may have gone straight to 43 Sqn, logically, originally they would've retained the cat hooks but by the time that you're modelling 574 the Tooms had been with the RAF for at least 10 years with no chance of being on a carrier they may well have been faired over - the choice is yours!

You made many Airfix Nimrod's yet?

Your old mate,

Wez

Edited by Wez

Jabba,

Don't forget that not all of the FG.1's were delivered directly to the Fisheads anyway - XV574 may have gone straight to 43 Sqn, logically, originally they would've retained the cat hooks but by the time that you're modelling 574 the Tooms had been with the RAF for at least 10 years with no chance of being on a carrier they may well have been faired over - the choice is yours!

You made many Airfix Nimrod's yet?

Your old mate,

Wez

hi,went to leuchars many moons ago,distinctly remember having total access to "black mike" the all black bird,and upon crawling underneath ,guess what was there.....

hi,went to leuchars many moons ago,distinctly remember having total access to "black mike" the all black bird,and upon crawling underneath ,guess what was there.....

Dunno if I'm surprised or not, we always seemed to do the mods that made no sense and not do those that made nod difference and vise-versa the next week!

Black Mike was in the hangar the last time I was there, all we were interested in doing was zapping it with a big green elephant and getting down to St Andrews ASAP! But that was ten years ago - a lot of water under the bridge since then!!!

Regards

Wez

Edited by Wez

I would like to know if the catapult hooks under the inner wing were retained for the RAF aircraft, as I am sure that the ones transferred from the 'fishheads' would have had them.

Just like to point out Fishheads never had any Phantoms, WAFU's yes but certainly not fish'eads :tumble::tumble::tumble:

Just like to point out Fishheads never had any Phantoms, WAFU's yes but certainly not fish'eads :tumble::tumble::tumble:

Soz and all that - just our "junior" service generic way of referring to "Pugwash" in all its incarnations... ...now if only I could figure out how to use one of those there emoticons it'd be one of those winking smileys (sounds rude)!

Regards

Wez