T-33A "Shooting Star"

Ratch

I'm about to start on this. Does anyone know whether its a tail-sitter :undecided:

Just had a look at the kit and I would not like to guess on this one.

If you are putting a resin cockpit in then you may well get away with it however, there is plenty of room up front for some lead.

I know the nose gear leg is a bit flimsy, but I wouldn't take a chance.

Chris.

I'm about to start on this. Does anyone know whether its a tail-sitter :undecided:

Don't want to put yer off but take a look at this CT133 Kitbash (dmmit - wish I could figure out how to hyperlink that!)

I've got some transfers for some funky Mexican jets but after seeing this it put me off of the Hobbycraft/Academy kit - maybe I'm being too picky?

HTH

Regards

Wez

Edited by Mike
Hitting the right button would help! It's the one with the green arrows & the + sign ;o)

Just had a look at the kit and I would not like to guess on this one.

If you are putting a resin cockpit in then you may well get away with it however, there is plenty of room up front for some lead.

I know the nose gear leg is a bit flimsy, but I wouldn't take a chance.

Chris.

I'll put some in and hope its enough :thumbsup2:

Don't want to put yer off but take a look at this CT133 Kitbash (dmmit - wish I could figure out how to hyperlink that!)

I've got some transfers for some funky Mexican jets but after seeing this it put me off of the Hobbycraft/Academy kit - maybe I'm being too picky?

HTH

Regards

Wez

Can't get that link to work Wez :confused:

I've got some AM decals to mackle up 51-8752 of the 10th TFW at Chelveston :wicked:

Link =

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/ct133silverstarda_1.htm

I particularly like the line:

The nosewheel is the one from Monogram’s F-86 Sabre kit, cut in half and widened approximately twenty thousandths of an inch with sheet styrene.
(my emphasis). I think that's what might be called attention to detail... Edited by XV107

I was at a bit of a loose end on Friday, just a few days before I was due to go on my summer holiday, and nothing on the workbench, I needed a quick build and looking through my stash I came across the Academy #2185 1/48 Lockheed T-33A "Shooting Star".

The Lockheed T-33A “Shooting Star” was the trainer version of the F-80 fighter, with an additional seat and lengthened fuselage. America’s first jet trainer entered service in 1948 and production continued until August 1959 after 5,691 had been built.

Aircraft 51-8752 was Chelveston-based and used for transportation and recreation by Officers, assigned to 10th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing Base Flight. Chelveston resumed active service on 30 June 1959. The 10th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing took up residency in August 1959 and consisted of the 1st, 19th, 30th & 42nd Tactical Reconnaissance Squadrons with support units. 12 T-33’s were allocated to the Wing. Their primary missions were to accomplish visual, photographic, weather and electronic reconnaissance.

51-8752 was on display on 28 May 1960 when Chelveston held an Open Day. The Stars and Stripes were lowered on 1 August 1962.

Assembly is illustrated in nine stages and three finish options are provided. The light grey mouldings are finely detailed and the decals are comprehensive and in register. However, to represent 51-8752, I supplemented the kit decals with some from Aztec sheet AZT-D48002 and Techmod 72110 U.S. Serials & Code Numbers (Black).

I set about this as a quick build and chose to use acrylic paints to assist in reducing drying times.

326530669.jpg

The instruments were coloured with crayons.

326530683.jpg

Although the seams looked good, they were filled and sanded to ensure a seamless joint.

326530680.jpg

326530679.jpg

326530678.jpg

The attachment of the wing to the fuselage was a little fraught. Care had to be taken to ensure a seamless joint.

326530676.jpg

Once the major assembly work was done, I started on the paintwork.

326530674.jpg

All the paintwork was applied with a brush.

326530672.jpg

The anti-glare panels were masked with Tamiya tape before painting.

Tamiya XF-63: German Grey = cockpit interior

Tamiya X-18: Semi Gloss Black = instrument panels

Humbrol Acrylic 11 Metallic Silver Fox = rudder pedals

Xtracolor enamel 408 Matt Zinc Chromate = wheel well interiors, flap interior

Tamiya XF-1: Flat Black = control column grip, gun-sight

Humbrol Acrylic 53 Metallic Gunmetal = intakes, jet pipe

Tamiya XF-57: Buff = headrest

Humbrol enamel 56 Metallic Aluminium = undercarriage struts, wheel hubs

Humbrol enamel 27002 Metalcote Polished Aluminium = undercarriage doors, over-all natural metal finish

Xtracolor enamel 505 Tyre Black = tyres

Humbrol enamel 33 Matt Black = anti-glare panels

The natural metal finish was buffed with a soft lint-free cloth. The canopy sections were framed internally and externally by hand with a fine paintbrush.

The model was brushed with Klear in preparation for the decals. Some of the larger kit decals ripped and all were reluctant to slide off the backing sheet, but all were applied using Microsol & Microset. Another coat of Klear sealed the decals and then, to complete the model, the undercarriage and canopy were added.

326530279.jpg

326530278.jpg

326530277.jpg

326530276.jpg

326530275.jpg

326530271.jpg

326530269.jpg

326530273.jpg

I considered adding a panel wash to accentuate the seams, but all the photo's I've seen barely show them, so its stayed clean.