Will Airfix rerelease the 48th Tornado GR-1?

Matt Roberts

I know that the basic kit is :shit: but I want the kit for the weapons to upgrade an Italieri one (if I can find one of those over here)

Anyways I figure that by attempting to buy this old kit is the surest way to ensure that the next month RoG or Trumpeter announces a new state of the art 48th scale fin...with loads of appropriate weaponry and a decal sheet that is in registar!

I still want to do a JP-233 equiped one and sometimes kick myself for not buying one 15 years ago figuring that SOMEONE would have to be doing an new mold Tornado in 48th real soon. Got new molds in both 72nd and 32nd - still cannot say I have ever seen either of them in the States though. Last time I tried to order them thru proper channels here (pre internet) I received an Italieri or Esci rebox and the 32nd was the original kit from the mid-80's that was more akin to a GI Joe toy than a modern kit. I don't think my LHS suppliers even knew of RoGs new mold kits, sort of like the 72nd F-104s.

Matt

What's wrong with Ebay Matt - always old GR1's on there including the Gulf war version - cheap as chips too cos it's such a crap kit!

I guess I'm still a bit unsure on EBAY, I have never ordered off of it yet. Maybe it'll be cheaper the couple of times I looked for something the prices were stupidly high (Detail and Scale F9F book over $100!)

Maybe I'll give it a try.

Matt

Just nosed around on EBAY over here and it is hard to find one for under $25 here in the States. I think that shows the relative numbers of kits in England vs the ones that made it over to my side of the pond.

The EBAY UK listing looks good but I don't know if he'd ship over here...especially not for $8!

I'll keep looking around for one here at the shows, maybe I'll get lucky if the Dayton IPMS show is this year.

Thanks

Matt

• 1 month later...
I know that the basic kit is :shit: but I want the kit for the weapons to upgrade an Italieri one (if I can find one of those over here)

Anyways I figure that by attempting to buy this old kit is the surest way to ensure that the next month RoG or Trumpeter announces a new state of the art 48th scale fin...with loads of appropriate weaponry and a decal sheet that is in registar!

I still want to do a JP-233 equiped one and sometimes kick myself for not buying one 15 years ago figuring that SOMEONE would have to be doing an new mold Tornado in 48th real soon. Got new molds in both 72nd and 32nd - still cannot say I have ever seen either of them in the States though. Last time I tried to order them thru proper channels here (pre internet) I received an Italieri or Esci rebox and the 32nd was the original kit from the mid-80's that was more akin to a GI Joe toy than a modern kit. I don't think my LHS suppliers even knew of RoGs new mold kits, sort of like the 72nd F-104s.

Matt

MATT

the GR1 kit was reworked into the GR4 by Airfix some time ago. In its renditions, the JP's lasted until the GR1-B release when they switched loads to the Skyfalsh missiles. Yes E-bay is a good place to get hold of GR-1 kits in either its original relaese or the later Gulf War incarnate. I myself have bought about 4 cheapish GR-1 kits from e-bay puerly for the JP contents. In one win it was literaly for the GR-1 weapons bits only! So far I have 8 JP sets for some older GR1 Sqdn models as well as some gulf Babys. If only Paragon Designs would re-release their JP-233 resin items!

Don't be scared of e-bay give it a try! Or try Hannants for stuff.

Rgds

ATDB27