Hasegawa A-10 Thunderbolt 1/72

This is my take on the A-10. Its a 1/72 Hasegawa kit that i picked up for £10 at the Salisbury show. I knew how i wanted to display it and i think its come out quite nicely. This is my first A-10 that i ever remember making and the kit was fantastic fit. The only critisim of the kit would be that Hasegawa really don't want you to have the canopy shut and the wheels up!!. I intended to have the airbrakes open and they turned out ok. I filled and drilled the gap but on reflection it should have been plasticard - probably a lot easier. The ECM pod came from a weapons kit i got earlier in the year; Hasegawa again. The decals came courtesy of Karl (Dswoofie) and the base was very kindly made by Brian Redpath (MODeller) as I used my last one on the Beagle Bassett. The paints are all Xtracrylics and this is my second attempt at airbrushing. All brushing was done freehand with no bluetack or paper as a mark; just putting the brush on its lowest setting that i was comfortable with and dive in. I used the Xtracrylic Flatt coat ontop of the Halfords lacquer. I used Phills dirty wash, but for some reason it didn't take, so i ended up getting the Tamiya pastels out. I took it too my club meet last night and the only comment was the rod was infront of the lower wing, so i bent it around. I think it actually turned out quite well as i can now display it either way. Sorry about the photos but the good camera wasn't available so here goes.......

IMG_5462.jpgIMG_5463.jpgIMG_5464.jpgIMG_5467.jpgIMG_5469.jpgIMG_5470.jpgIMG_5482.jpgIMG_5481.jpgIMG_5476.jpg

Honest comments please.....

Edited by speedy

Honest comments please.....

The display idea is great, one of those gutbusting turns that an A-10 can perform (only once without losing all its speed, even clean like yours!)

I would guess the photos haven't really done it justice though, they all look blurry to me (or it might just be my eyes! :nerd: )

Nice one Steve! Works well, just get that camera sorted! MODeller

Yeah I'll second that one! Fuzzovision doesn't do it any justice I don't think. Looks like a great idea for the display though, can you post some better ones when the 'good camera' is back?

Glad the decals were OK for you anyway!

Karl.

Ah, now I can see it properly... Oh it's an A-10 is it :lol:

The freehand camo has worked well, I wasn't really brave enough to try that one out. Nicely weathered too, so good work! I like it, especially the way it's been displayed. :thumbsup:

Karl.

Great idea and nicely done! I think I might be buying a few wooden bases myself at Telford this year (I'm banned from buying kits!!)

Always had a soft spot for the warthog in my mind, you used to see these regular in the mid eighties pulling low level moves like this and then batting down to the ranges at the nook to let rip with that awesome gun!!.

Great build speedy,

JB.

Awesome position of the model, can I ask how oyu made your stand in terms of the materials used. cracking job!

MODeller made the stand for me (as i've used all mine) and a rod from my local model shop. Drill and away you go. I did have it originally infront of the wing, so i put the "bow" in it and it came out really rather well!!.

The Base is 25mm thick Sapele, cut on the saw bench then the edge routered, Mahogony stain applied in four coats. Made a real change from the usual MDF ones I normally make and a pleasing result! MODeller