Airfix 1/48 Canberra's - Test Shot Pics

Spence

Hello everyone - hope you're well! B)

After the excitement of getting the Mistel finished, I've had the chance of getting some other prep work done for MIS. As part of this I've been fortunate to have been given very early test shots of the Airfix 1/48 Canberra PR.9, B-57 and B-2. Though the parts are in rather bonkers colours of Lime Green, Pink, Light Blue, Black and Grey, they given me a fair idea of how the models will look once they arrive on the kit shop shelves.

This afternoon I've spent some time building the B-57 and thought that you might be interested in what this kit is like and what it provides - as well as how the other two look (despite me not doing too much to them as yet..). The B-57 follows on closely from the design of the earlier B(I)8, with a new sprue containing the cockpit, bomb-bay, noses, engines, pylons and weapons fits pertinent to this aircraft - along with a new fuselage and cockpit canopy. From what I can see the kit contains the necessary parts needed to build the B-57B/C, E and G - the latter being the version that I've chosen to build. As before, the parts fit very well indeed and in fact, because of the simpler fuselage breakdown, I would say that this kit is easier to build than the previous release. No colours are specified at the moment so I can't comment on what options there will be once released - other than saying that at least three choices will be given.

The PR.9 is similarly based on the B(I)8, with all of the changes being made on three new sprues. These provide new fuselage parts with a choice of underbelly fairings for different camera fits, new wings and then another with all of the new additional details including underwing pods - all of which point to a variety of different aircraft for the modeller to choose from. the detail on this one looks to be quite impressive and should help create a very impressive looking model; I certainly imagine that a lot of these kits will be appearing on exhibition tables over the coming months...

The B-2 is the last of the models that I examined and is the simplest of the three with a new fuselage and cockpit in evidence to go with the B(I)8 parts. Of course, this one offers the most variation in colours and so will no doubt be very popular - what choices will be in the kit is again a mystery(both in terms of colours and marks), but I look forward to seeing what they are! :D

Given time, I'll try and get some pictures on line of the new kits after I've looked a them a little more closely. I'm even hoping to have one or two built over the coming weeks. Time will no doubt tell..!!!

All the best, Spence - who might need an extension to house these damned Canberras!!! :doh:

Edited by Spence

Ok Spence stop typing, forget life and get those Canberra's built and photos done pronto :wicked::wicked::wicked::pray:

Bex

Spence,

Any chance of a breakdown of the weaponry in the B-57 kit?

Phil

Hello everyone - hope you're well! B)

After the excitement of getting the Mistel finished, I've had the chance of getting some other prep work done for MIS. As part of this I've been fortunate to have been given very early test shots of the Airfix 1/48 Canberra PR.9, B-57 and B-2. Though the parts are in rather bonkers colours of Lime Green, Pink, Light Blue, Black and Grey, they given me a fair idea of how the models will look once they arrive on the kit shop shelves.

This afternoon I've spent some time building the B-57 and thought that you might be interested in what this kit is like and what it provides - as well as how the other two look (despite me not doing too much to them as yet..). The B-57 follows on closely from the design of the earlier B(I)8, with a new sprue containing the cockpit, bomb-bay, noses, engines, pylons and weapons fits pertinent to this aircraft - along with a new fuselage and cockpit canopy. From what I can see the kit contains the necessary parts needed to build the B-57B/C, E and G - the latter being the version that I've chosen to build. As before, the parts fit very well indeed and in fact, because of the simpler fuselage breakdown, I would say that this kit is easier to build than the previous release. No colours are specified at the moment so I can't comment on what options there will be once released - other than saying that at least three choices will be given.

The PR.9 is similarly based on the B(I)8, with all of the changes being made on three new sprues. These provide new fuselage parts with a choice of underbelly fairings for different camera fits, new wings and then another with all of the new additional details including underwing pods - all of which point to a variety of different aircraft for the modeller to choose from. the detail on this one looks to be quite impressive and should help create a very impressive looking model; I certainly imagine that a lot of these kits will be appearing on exhibition tables over the coming months...

The B-2 is the last of the models that I examined and is the simplest of the three with a new fuselage and cockpit in evidence to go with the B(I)8 parts. Of course, this one offers the most variation in colours and so will no doubt be very popular - what choices will be in the kit is again a mystery(both in terms of colours and marks), but I look forward to seeing what they are! :D

Given time, I'll try and get some pictures on line of the new kits after I've looked a them a little more closely. I'm even hoping to have one or two built over the coming weeks. Time will no doubt tell..!!!

All the best, Spence - who might need an extension to house these damned Canberras!!! :doh:

Interesting 4 completely differant fuselages? Or is it The PR-9 just has differing bits to detail the fuselage? I relaized (and am very glad Airfix did also ) The B-57 had a diferant fuselage from The British built ones - the air brakes IIRC

No to see how the B-57 red intruder markings will get printed....I still have a first issue Monogram A-26 that had he red makings that flat out vanished when I put them on The gloss black airframe. Those will be a true test of The decal printers on that one.

Matt

Spence,

Any chance of a breakdown of the weaponry in the B-57 kit?

Phil

Hey Phil - The weapons are the same as in the B(I)8 kit with waht looks to be the addition of four 500lb Paveway I LGBs...

Spence

Interesting 4 completely differant fuselages? Or is it The PR-9 just has differing bits to detail the fuselage? I relaized (and am very glad Airfix did also ) The B-57 had a diferant fuselage from The British built ones - the air brakes IIRC

No to see how the B-57 red intruder markings will get printed....I still have a first issue Monogram A-26 that had he red makings that flat out vanished when I put them on The gloss black airframe. Those will be a true test of The decal printers on that one.

Matt

Matt - PR.9 parts aren't the same as in the B(I)8, being different in terms of windows, panel line details and the presence of vortex generators on the tail fin. Airfix, it would seem, have indeed created four fuselages for their four different kits... :clap2:

As for the decals, only time will tell...

Spence

Matt - PR.9 parts aren't the same as in the B(I)8, being different in terms of windows, panel line details and the presence of vortex generators on the tail fin. Airfix, it would seem, have indeed created four fuselages for their four different kits... :clap2:

As for the decals, only time will tell...

Spence

Props to Airfix for doing that as opposed to a fully modular approach that say Hasegawa would have tried. Pity we didn't get too many US weapons but then again who doesn't have some napalm and Mk 117s laying around

Matt

Matt,

Arfix got them right in their original B57 kits (1:72) so hopefully they'll get it right this time :pray:

yr0oas.jpg

I like the idea of 3 different B57 variants in one box, bout time a manufacturer did that :worthy:

The B2 was shorter that the later production variant Canberra's

Bex

Matt,

Arfix got them right in their original B57 kits (1:72) so hopefully they'll get it right this time :pray:

yr0oas.jpg

I like the idea of 3 different B57 variants in one box, bout time a manufacturer did that :worthy:

The B2 was shorter that the later production variant Canberra's

Bex

Bex, please make sure you don't turn that there Cooker ring on will you?

:rofl::rofl:

I knew I was starting to produce some pretty hot models :analintruder:

I know the drill, I'll get the :coat: & :handbag: again :lol:

Bex

No to see how the B-57 red intruder markings will get printed.... Those will be a true test of The decal printers on that one.

Actually not at all. It will be a test of the intelligence & skill of the decal artist. If he puts white behind the red, no problem. If not, problem.

J

Actually not at all. It will be a test of the intelligence & skill of the decal artist. If he puts white behind the red, no problem. If not, problem.

J

Its not exactly rocket science, its just a basic colour trap to give opacity to paler colours.

Here's an exmaple - as the printing order goes, white trap at the bottom, red, blue then the varnish (in green for clarity).

decalwj4.jpg

Might be worth reprising these photos from Perth earlier this year:

perth045.jpg

perth046.jpg

perth047.jpg

perth048.jpg

perth049.jpg

perth050.jpg

John

At least those are almost all one colour! My PR.9 is going to be Lime Green, Pink, Grey and Blue - even Matchbox in their heyday couldn't have matched that!!! :analintruder:

Spence

At least those are almost all one colour! My PR.9 is going to be Lime Green, Pink, Grey and Blue - even Matchbox in their heyday couldn't have matched that!!! :analintruder:

Spence

But that's the plan, recreate the old Matchbox days!

:analintruder:

B-57 B-57 B-57...need two. One to SAAF and the other to build as a DS I interdictor...

Oh rats. I thought you meant test shots of the Airfix Canberras in the one true scale had arrived....!!! :P:D

Keef - who now has longer to save up for the dozen or so 72nd scale Airfix Canberras he "needs"!!

Oh rats. I thought you meant test shots of the Airfix Canberras in the one true scale had arrived....!!! :P:D

Keef - who now has longer to save up for the dozen or so 72nd scale Airfix Canberras he "needs"!!

I'm with you on that one, Keef. As much as I'd love a couple of quarter-scale Cranberries, they're just too big. Whereas in 1/72, I could justify a squadron's worth of aeroplanes. At least.