Revell M977 HEMTT 1/35 ~ FINISHED

Stebos

Big, beefy & seems relatively straight forward to build.

First up, the box:

m977box.jpg

and then the sprues:

m977%20S1.jpg

m977%20S2.jpg

m977%20S3.jpg

m977%20S4.jpg

m977%20S5.jpg

I think I might do this one in Desert Storm sand but we'll see.

I should probably source the MLRS launcher to go with it...

Edited by Stebos

Stebos: Nice truck...BIG TRUCK...!! I'm looking forward to seeing this bad boy come togeather...

Cheers,

ggc

Guest snipersmudge

good choice sir! don't see many of these built up, I take it this is revells reboxing of the italeri kit?

I wasn't aware of the Italeri issue but seems reasonable that it's a reboxing. The MLRS cargo are a couple of reboxed sprues from the Dragon launcher kit, hence the different colour.

It explains the lack of info I found when researching under Revell. I see there's an etch set available... if that seems usuable (I do so hate PE) I'll delay the build to pick that up.

Edited by Stebos

I've decided to get the PE set for this. Some of it I likely won't use but there's very useful additions missing from the basic kit that should be doable for a PE newcomer.

Some quick progress though:

m977%20chas1.jpg

The long pieces were somewhat warped on the sprue and this gaves things a noticable curve. It's started to pull back into the right shape as more is added however.

Edited by Stebos

There's something about a dirty great truck! I nearly went with my South African SAMIL 100 6x6 Kwe resin kit (if I wasn't waiting for the instructions to arrive).

Looking forward to your updates Stebos.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been busy!

The PE set arrived in just 2 days never seen that from Hannants before!

m977pe.jpg

Scary stuff, hopefully I'll keep my sanity intact.

The basic chassis is pretty much done now.

m977%20chas2.jpg

m977%20chas3.jpg

There's an odd hole there. There's nothing to add to it so for now I'm guessing it's a mold error to be filled later.

m977%20chas4.jpg

The fit has been a bit dodgy in places and the detail is softish, but should be fine when painted up. I don't expect to be peeking under all that often.

I've started on the cargo pods, I figure if I leave them to the end I'll be tempted to not bother with them for a while. They aren't the most exciting of items and a bit fiddly to put together so I'm doing them in little stages.

Next up is the cab interior, with a whole host of yummy PE nonsense to cry over...

Thats a big bugger you got there Stebos, and those PE frets scare me just looking at them :doh: Looking good so far :thumbsup2:

Bex

More progress made (I am slow though).

A couple of nights of getting to grip with PE.

m977%20cab1.jpg

I didn't add the middle pe panel here, I didn't have the right tools to scrape out the detail in the sunken panel. Rather than botch it I just left it alone.

m977%20cab2.jpg

m977%20cab3.jpg

On the whole it wasn't too bad. There's the odd bent bit, or a piece missing I felt was too fiddly to bother with.

m977%20cab4.jpg

m977%20cab5.jpg

m977%20cab6.jpg

The cab was mostly just flat plastic so the pe plates & boxes should help a lot. I plan to leave the door open to show it all off.

Some filling needs to be done. There's a huge 2mm gap in the centre rear which needs to be filled. The front panels need their pe added, and the whole thing needs painting and weathering before I start to build it up more.

Edited by Stebos

Boy that etch really dresses the cabin up! I am going to have to look at mine to see how bland it is in comparison!

I notice the instruments in the dash, how will you protect the detail when you paint around them?

Progress looks good do far

Cheers

Well I don't hate it really, I've never used it before.

It's mostly been it's fearsome reputation. Adding door handles is about as far as I want to take it though. I didn't bother replacing the external clasps to the engine housing for example.

I gave some thought to the dials at the time. Too small to tape mask, masking fluid might work. I'll likely tape the full panel and brush paint around them freehand when the rest is done.

What I should have done of course was paint the panel before gluing it on... I often forget to think that out in my eagerness to add bits.

• 3 weeks later...

The cab is done!

Not without some problems though, purely of my own clumsiness.

m977%20cab7.jpg

Last bits of pe added and painted overall with Green Grey. The seats are in Olive Grey, I could find no refs for the belt colour so went for a contrast to break up all the grey.

m977%20cab8.jpg

I'm not sure if it's the age of the kit, or a common issue but the warping showed it's head again with the cab assembled. There's a noticable lean of about 2mm in the dash. Everything was in contact, seems the dash was warped.

m977%201.jpg

I also made a huge booboo when masking the windscreen and scored a big gouge into it :raincloud::badmood:

I'm hoping careful weathering & dust will mostly hide it.

I didn't use the pe wipers, I feel the moulded plastic, while softer, is more in scale.

m977%203.jpg

The rest has been slowly coming together, I've replaced the moulded on 'hook' detailing with bent pe hooks.

m977%202.jpg

Thanks for looking! I'm almost enjoying this pe lark :mellow:

Edited by Stebos

Big update today as I've been busy and a bit slack on progress reports...

I came across an annoying issue with the crane, I had a missing part! It must have come off the sprue and got lost somewhere, as it's small and very dark green I fear it's lost.

But no matter, LEGO saves the day with a part that's not only very similiar but a perfect fit!

m977fix1.jpg

m977fix2.jpg

Half a can of halfords plastic primer later sees all the major assembly bits ready for painting.

m977primed.jpg

I'm never of fan of assembling pre-painted parts but there's no way I can get into all the little crevices without it.

Out comes the airbrush for the first time on an actual model. Nearly a full bottle of vallejo iraqi sand and a few hours later we have the base coat all done:

m977part1.jpg

m977part2.jpg

m977part3.jpg

m977part4.jpg

m977part5.jpg

On checking ref pics I noticed the fuel tank only had a shallow indent instead of a proper intake so I scratched one together from sprue. It's a little too long but much better looking I feel.

m977fuel.jpg

I've started adding together the parts now, weathering them as I go.

All the pics I've found of this scheme show a relatively clean look, dusty in the main with little real wear & tear. This is the look I'm going for. As I've not weathered a vehicle before I'm just bumbling along with it.

I put a thin grey wash over the lower extremities and into edges where dust & sand will likely lay. On flatter areas and exposed ridges I'm using a pale grey & offwhite drybrushing to just break up the solid colour and add 'dustiness'.

m977final1.jpg

Thanks for looking.