M26A1 Pershing 1:72 'tracks and troops' resin

CPNGROATS

Gents: Here are some starting pics of what U get in the box...This will be my first full resin kit....:hobbyhorse:

Cheers,

ggc

P6080025Pershingsprushottwo.jpg

P6080023Pershingsprushotone.jpg

P6080024Pershingsprushotthree.jpg

Mike: Yes the turret is a one peice affair. The tracks are resin, no flex,,lots of individual liks for the curved sections, front and back....this installation may prove to be "fiddley".....and the p/e included is on the smallish side.... :hypnotised: .....

Cheers,

ggc

Fellow GB members: Well, I've started assembly of the M-26A-1. The biggest resin cut off was the pour stub at the rear of the hull. With that accomplished I've started to cut off and clean up the suspension wheels. It's obvious that to eventually attach them to the hull some sort of assembly jig will have to be cobbled up so that the suspension will be plumb and of the correct height...[ from the ground..].like,...some sort of parallel rail jig to sit the hull on while the glue(epoxy) dries...as the wheels and sprokets are added....I'm thinking the resin tracks will have their own set of challenges when I get to that stage of assembly..

So, I jumped ahead to the turret...the lift rigs for the turret and mantlet were fashioned from brass and copper wire then attached with super glue. Other resin turret details were cleaned up and attached...some blending with thinned spot putty will be needed to blend some of these details into the turret. Cleaned up the 50cal MG..will need to do the same for the mount and the ammo box.

Vacume up the resin dust and grab a cold one... :drink:

Until next time...

Cheers,

ggc

So 'ers a pic of my progress so far....

P6090001M26a1wippicone.jpg

Cheers,

ggc

Another update on the M26A-1, More resin and p/e details added to turret, hull lift rings added using brass wire, gun tube muzzle brake/gas evac. assembled, tinned spot putty applied to lift rings and turret rack. Thank's for looking and your comments are coveted...

Cheers,

ggc

P6090003m26Awippictwo.jpg

P6090004M26Awippicthree.jpg

Thats coming along great so far.Those tracks look as though they could be a nightmare.Are those lengths in the photo the top & bottom runs with seperate links to attach around the idlers/drive sprocket,or do you have to apply heat and bend the long runs around them?

Tim.

Pitfalls..yes, some...as this was Tracks and Troops second Pershing kit , M26A1 vs the WWII T-26, they added and deleated parts while some parts remained. All of the lift rings are missing, and the instructions are not too clear on the differences between the two varients.. A larger problem is the lack of positive locators for the suspension wheels...a lot of Kentucky windage needed here....as I mentioned before I'll have to make some type of jig to assist with this phase of the build.

Tracks, the instuctions offer no assistance in the installation of these. It looks like the long sections fit on the top and bottom of the suspension wheels while the individual links are fitted on at a time with adhesive....I'l still thinking about the installation and painting sequence on this one...

Well, challenges make you a better modeler, right...?

Cheers,

ggc

Edited by CPNGROATS

Here's today's update on the M26A-1; I have cut all the needed road wheels from the casting sprues, the kit provides two extra. I cobbled up a jig for use when attaching the road wheels and sprokets to the hull. Using some of the children's leggo blocks it's just the "pooches nuts" ( as some have said on this forum )..the King's English I'd wager.... :smartass: Anyway here are some pics of the jig thing and the wip M26A-1...

Cheers,

ggc

P6100010M26A1wip6.jpg

P6100009M26A1wip5.jpg

P6100011.jpg

Tracks, the instuctions offer no assistance in the installation of these. It looks like the long sections fit on the top and bottom of the suspension wheels while the individual links are fitted on at a time with adhesive....I'l still thinking about the installation and painting sequence on this one..

My method on the smaller scale kits is to assemble the whole model first including the tracks and then undercoat everything black or dark green (if building Allied subjects).Then you can spray a bit of mud on the running gear when you`re ready followed by a bit of detail painting and drybrushing on the tracks as necessary.Yours is coming along great so far.Hope this helps.

Tim.

Tim; Thanks for the tips...you know, some armor modelers seem to completely assemble the kit before starting the painting...I find that hard to comprehend..as some details would seem to be very difficult to paint one the thing is built...! perhaps I am missing something...??:shrug: Next for the M26A-1 will be some painting of the hull and running gear prior to assembly of the road wheels to the hull. Also, I will most likely paint the track before attaching it to the model.

As far as using the Leggo blocks for the jig, I had read somewhere that they also can be used for boxes to hold your silicone or RTV rubber if your making your own resin parts...so I'm keeping the bin of discarded kids Leggo's for future modeling efforts..

Cheers,

ggc

Guest snipersmudge

great idea the lego jig, I have indeed used lego for mould making in the past, it's very handy stuff is lego

A quick up-date with a pic showing some base painting on the M26A1.

Cheers,

ggc

P6110003M26A1wip11.jpg

Nice to see this coming together.

I don't envy you aligning up all those wheels nice and straight!

Well I'm hoping the leggo jig will aid in this task...I'm planning to use some slower setting epoxy to fix the road wheels to the hull...a tweek here and there and the alignment should be good...( at least that is the plan)....however, I'm going to let this dark gray paint dry for a couple of days before the application of the initial OD paint application on the wheels, hull and turret. I can move on now to the track segments and individual links........also, I think a figure or two would help define the size of this beastie....and a base to set it on....so I'm giving that some thought as well.... :closedeyes:

Cheers,

ggc

P6110002M26A1wip10.jpg

Looking very nice so far!

Apparently there is a plastic kit of this and the M46 coming out sometime this year, and I can't wait.

Daz: Tell us more....who is doing this and are we talking 1/72..? Dragon perhaps..? Please advise...

Tks,

Cheers,

ggc