Tamiya MERKAVA Mk 1

Guest snipersmudge

Guest snipersmudge

Well at last i can get started on the Merkava, been itching to start but have used the time before the start of the GB to research and come up with a tweaks list for the kit. I'm using the tamiya kit which is fantastic considering it's age, like a fine wine I'd say! Here's a pic of the parts before attacking with my scalpel. more soon

S8001575.jpg

Cheers

Pete

Guest snipersmudge

Well been getting a bit done in between my domestic chores today, wheels done, god i hate sanding the buggers! and started filling the holes in the hull. I plan to blank off the sponsons with plastic card later. added some details to the rear idler assembly and have removed the moulded on rear mud flaps as they are very over scale. Will replace with thin plastic card later

S8001578.jpg

S8001576.jpg

S8001577.jpg

Cheers

Pete

Guest snipersmudge

Some more work today before I start nights,

added missing hinge detail

S8001581.jpg

S8001580.jpg

rear done, have left off one track link for interest

S8001582.jpg

added missing engine shut off

S8001584.jpg

and cut a couple of exhaust pipes using an old radio aerial

S8001583.jpg

that's it for now

Pete

Hi Pete: Good start on the Merkava, it will be a mean looking machine..!

Cheers,

ggc

Coincidentally, there's an article on building a Mk1 Merkava in this issue of the IPMS newsletter... if you're a member or know one, give it a squint, as there are lots of tidbits of info on updating & accurizing (hate that word) the kit to the correct standards. :)

Guest snipersmudge

More work on the Merkava, I've closed off the sponsons and added some texture to the rear hull and front hull with thinned Mr surfacer

S8001587.jpg

S8001590.jpg

Enhanced the crew step by removing the plastic loop and replacing with some twisted wire

S8001586.jpg

Also started adding the anti-slip coating using cast a cote, great stuff this, Looking at my references some Merkava Mk1's 2's and even 3's don't have anti-slip on the hulls however I am adding it to enhance the painting and weathering later on.

S8001585.jpg

S8001588.jpg

S8001589.jpg

Cheers

Pete

Pete: Looks like your making great progress, real nice details your adding...carry on sir..

Cheers,

ggc

Guest snipersmudge

the castacote is good stuff and easy to use, i'll be using it again on future builds

yes it's handy stuff and not just for anti skid coatings. I have used it with great success on WW2 Russian armour to replicate the rough casting of turrets etc

Pete

Guest snipersmudge

More work today, basically finished the build, just the machine guns and replacement mud flaps to make. Have been working on the turret today, added a few tweaks such as the tow cable, tamiya provide it in plastic which looks unrealistic plus you have to try and bend it! Replaced the ends with items from the spares box and made the cable from three strands of 28 gauge wire twisted together.

Cast a cota, Mr surfacer and weld beads added to the turret and a few missing bolts etc, also added tubing for the aerial bases and separated the bazooka plates for a better look

S8001591.jpg

S8001592.jpg

S8001593.jpg

S8001594.jpg

S8001595.jpg

S8001596.jpg

S8001597.jpg

S8001598.jpg

S8001599.jpg

S8001600.jpg

S8001601.jpg

S8001602.jpg

I must say she looks a mean beast. an enjoyable build with no problems at all

cheers

Pete

Pete: What a cool and "don't mess w/me" look this Merkava has...your added details really bring this model to life...anxiously awaiting the painting on this one...

Cheers,

ggc