English Electric Lightning F6

Hello all,

Those who have been following this on the WIP forum will be no strangers to the tribulations I've had with this kit. It's taken a total of 78 hours to finish, with the following extra bits used:

Aires cockpit set

Aires wheel well set

Eduard PE set

Airwaves vacformed canopy

Airwaves white metal undercart

Brooksy's turned ally IFR probe

In the end the canopy and undercarriage went unused, as did most of the PE set. The Aires cockpit set was just too detailed to need any PE!

I must offer my thanks here to Mike and to Andy Brooks for sending me replacement decals when the Airfix ones in my kit turned out to be US. Also, my compliments to Brooksy for turning a lovely little IFR probe head - not sure if it'll be visible on the pictures, but he makes a good job of them!

Hope you like it,

Dean

Britmodeler Logo first:

Light13.jpg

Walkaround shots next:

Light1.jpg

Light3.jpg

Light4.jpg

Light2.jpg

Light9.jpg

Light7.jpg

An couple of overhead views:

Light10.jpg

Light8.jpg

Some detail shots - cockpit, including Andy Brooks' excellent IFR probe head:

Light6.jpg

Light11.jpg

The heavily modified undercarriage:

Light12.jpg

And finally the Aires wheel wells:

Light14.jpg

• Like 10

Worth every second of effort of those 78 hours Dean, she's one seriously good looking Lightning :thumbsup:

The extra detail really makes the difference between a good model and a great model. Top stuff :thumbsup2:

Dean,

That has brought back many memories for an ex 11 Sqdn 'Sootie'. :pipe:

Yes I was lucky enough to have worked on this beauty.

Fabulous build and finish. :thumbsup:

You mention Airwaves u/c set is this set beter than Aeroclubs? :unsure:

Adrian

Dean,

That has brought back many memories for an ex 11 Sqdn 'Sootie'. :pipe:

Yes I was lucky enough to have worked on this beauty.

Fabulous build and finish. :thumbsup:

You mention Airwaves u/c set is this set beter than Aeroclubs? :unsure:

Adrian

Glad I could bring back memories for you Adrian, and a real compliment from someone who worked on the original! As for the undercarriage set, my mistake, it was Aeroclub not Airwaves, as was the canopy. In the event I didn't use either, as the undercarriage was so roughly moulded that I might as well have filed it myself out of solid, and the canopy frame was so softly represented that I decided it'd be too difficult to mask. I also had the Aeroclub nose weight, but couldn't make half of that fit either - I ended up using their radome after much filing and filling, and that was it.

And Stew, it's nice to be thought of as inspirational, but get some aftermarket decals! The kit decals were ess-aitch-one-tee and caused no end of headaches and holdups.

As to everyone else who commented, thanks folks. Here's one of the multi-Alclad underside, glaring error and all...

Light15.jpg

Cheers,

Dean

Sensational result Dean, worth every hour of work you put into it, easily one of the best Lightning models I've ever seen. :goodjob:

:cheers:

Richard.

Glad I could bring back memories for you Adrian, and a real compliment from someone who worked on the original! As for the undercarriage set, my mistake, it was Aeroclub not Airwaves, as was the canopy. In the event I didn't use either, as the undercarriage was so roughly moulded that I might as well have filed it myself out of solid, and the canopy frame was so softly represented that I decided it'd be too difficult to mask. I also had the Aeroclub nose weight, but couldn't make half of that fit either - I ended up using their radome after much filing and filling, and that was it.

And Stew, it's nice to be thought of as inspirational, but get some aftermarket decals! The kit decals were ess-aitch-one-tee and caused no end of headaches and holdups.

As to everyone else who commented, thanks folks. Here's one of the multi-Alclad underside, glaring error and all...

Light15.jpg

Cheers,

Dean

It took me a few takes to work out your deliberate error Dean!!

That aside - and has to be said, that included - thats one cracking looking Frightnening you have there - Love the camo'ed finish of 11 Sqn., lovely!!!

I've seen some fantastic Frightnings done in a lot of forums and other places, but this one moves right to the top of the list mate........another fantastic build from a master :thumbsup:

Edited by Angels49