Fieseler Storch

Just finished the 1/72 Academy Fieseler Storch. Probably the most challenging model I've made so far.

2659778186_c1dc63a0d5_b.jpg

2659774272_bed46a1e46_b.jpg

2659777548_2bd2d18b59_b.jpg

2659776866_e07680b3df_b.jpg

2659776196_c976eec5d2_b.jpg

2659775544_3310aa3ecf_b.jpg

2658948227_3a9a29895d_b.jpg

I'm reasonably pleased with this one. I think I've gone a bit OTT with the weathering wash, but it's hard to remove it from all those hard-to-reach places! Also, the decals destroyed themselves and I had to get some replacements from Academy. These weren't much better. Too thin and don't like to be moved around for too long before sticking, so I'm not entirely happy with the positioning of some of them.

On Monday I can crack on with my Tamiya Spitfire for the BoB group build!

Having had the opportunity of seeing one from a distance (no walkaround) without a camera, and seeing yours. I must say that it is an excellent build.

Edited by Angels49

Nice job Jase, I can see the fun you had with aligning all the struts. Was this the major hassle you had with the kit?

:thumbsup:

It wasn't necessarily the actual kit that proved challenging...

Aligning the struts wasn't too bad. The glass house was the most fiddly bit and didn't fit together too well, so required a reasonable amount of filling and sanding. The carpet Monster ate the rear skid-thingy. Luckily I have the old Heller kit, which is almost identical, so I robbed it from there. Brushing on a coat of Klear left me with some really obvious bubbles, which took some effort to remove. I had a few difficulties with the weathering wash. Tried the light one on the top surfaces, but it didn't look too good, so went for black instead. Then I found that I could not get into all those fiddly places to remove it, so there's a little bit more wash remaining than I would have liked.

The decals were just a nightmare though. I've heard bad things about Academy decals and now I can confirm them! I've got a few more academy kits in the collection, which I will now be buying after-market decals for. Interestingly, I think Academy know their decals are poor as a few of their kits are now included with Cartograf decals, which I hear are very good.

Finally, my airbrush kept clogging last night whilst applying the Matt Varnish, which I've put down to it being quite a warm, humid night.

Anyway, having seen it in daylight this morning I'm happy with it. It's only my 5th model, so I can't expect perfection. I'm really pleased with the straight-lines camouflage. I enjoyed painting that and I've got a few more Luftwaffe aircraft to look forward to in the stash.

Edited by Jazzy Jase

Nice Luft bird, Jazz...!

Cheers,

ggc

Very nice indeed.It looks a very fiddly little kit in this scale.You have done a very good job. :worthy: