Well and truly blown the budget with this one!

desmojen

Just ordered from Ali at A2Zee models, the CMK (or is it CMR?) Shorts Empire class flying boat. Well and truly blown this months finances doing it, especially since I just got back from a week in Gibraltar :innocent:

I've always loved these aircraft, and they've always been on my most wanted lists so I would have been a hypocrite had I not bought one now that they're out. I just wish I could afford two so that I didn't have to choose between my two favourite schemes :shrug:

I'll post some pics when I get it if anyone's interested :D

Jen.

Edited by desmojen

desmojen: I'd like to see what it looks like...sound's like quite a kit..! :speak_cool:

Cheers,

ggc

Does anyone remember the old Cornflakes plastic flying boats that they gave away MANY years ago? I think I had them all, and always thought they were rather cool. They also did classic airliners too IIRC... That might explain why I like the Empire flying boats & the Connie so much :hmmm:

Jen - don't even THINK about not posting pics... d'ya hear? It'd be a Chinese burn at the next show from me if you forget :tease:

Don't s'pose you could be persuaded to do this as a 'Best of British'? Please, please - tea and buns will be supplied at Telford!

peebeep

:pray:

I could very much be persuaded PB, but it would more than likely have to be at the expense of the Hood I'm afraid :shrug: And you still owe me buns from Cosford! :eat:

Photos will be forthcoming as soon as I get it then troops. Knowing Ali, that won't be too far in the future :D

Jen.

I could very much be persuaded PB, but it would more than likely have to be at the expense of the Hood I'm afraid :shrug: And you still owe me buns from Cosford! :eat:

:hmmm: Decisions, decisions...Empire Class boat wins! I'll lay on as many buns as you can eat... :D

peebeep

Can't wait to see the pics, Jen. I'd love one myself, but just bought a new car, and having the kitchen re-done, so I'll have to live my Empire dreams vicariously through you! Unless I ask for money for Christmas. Hmm, I can see that one going down well:

"What do you want for Christmas?"

"Money"

"What for?"

"To put towards a flying boat model."

"Another model? Haven't you got enough already? And when are you going to build one? How much is it, by the way?"

"Er, erm, several pounds."

"How much?"

"Forget I asked, just get me socks instead."

Equate this: In 1937 when the first Frog Penguin 'C' Class went on sale to public, the price (in today's money) was something like 87.5p but the average working weekly wage was less than £6.00 before tax. Today's weekly pay packet is, on average, just under £500 (offical statistics)

The last F/P kit of the 'C' that I saw go at auction in London reached just under £350 and the d**n thing isn't even accurate. What is more, the "plastic" is so brittle that one could never build it (if one wanted to).

What I can tell you (without giving too much away) is that this model uses all the superlatives found in the Oxford English Dictionary about quality, it is bigger than the Sunderland in the same scale and you also have to remember that this is a hand-produced kit with less than three a day being produced.

Ken

Edited by Ken

"What do you want for Christmas?"

"Money"

"What for?"

"To put towards a flying boat model."

"Another model? Haven't you got enough already? And when are you going to build one? How much is it, by the way?"

"Er, erm, several pounds."

"How much?"

"Forget I asked, just get me socks instead."

Oh yes!

A familiar conversation in houses up and down the country.

Unless you have a pre-paid debit card. No statements, no unexpected surprises. You'll love it and the wife knows nothing about it.

To help with the "sneaking", the box measures 18 x 13 x 3. Wear a coat wiv beeg pockets

Ken

Thanks Ken. I assume those measurements are in English, not some dastardly foreign base 10 system! :winkgrin:

Thanks Ken. I assume those measurements are in English, not some dastardly foreign base 10 system! :winkgrin:

British, old Bean. Mind you, I went on a speed awareness course (got nicked by a pesky camera) and there were some obviously English particpants there who didn't know what feet and inches were !!

British, old Bean. Mind you, I went on a speed awareness course (got nicked by a pesky camera) and there were some obviously English particpants there who didn't know what feet and inches were !!

It probably won't be long before we have "dual-language" road signs, with distances in Proper and Foreign. Which will, of course, lead to endless confusion, especially with all those car odometers only registering miles.

Would love to see some pics of this one Jen.

My Grandad worked for Shorts in Rochester building the flying boats, so I've got a special interest in this one.

So is this kit in 72nd then? and how much wonga are we talking?. :hmmm:

It's also far too big to sneak into the house under my coat without the missus noticing! :whistle:

Have it delivered to a mates house or work,

then sneak it into the house one-piece-at-a time. Bit like the old Johnny Cash song.

Wings and fuselage bits might make you limp though! :whistle:

You might then be asked,.. "is that a kit in your trousers or are you just pleased to see me"? :unsure:

Adrian

True to form with Ali, I did not have a long wait as it turned up this morning! :yahoo:

So, you get your usual limited run looking box with a picture sticker on it, nice picture though!

325179956.jpg

Inside, there are a few really big bits of resin and quite a lot of smaller parts, all bagged separately.

325179954.jpg

There is a comprehensive instruction sheet, decals for several boats, short history of the featured boats, a rigging diagram (which looks like it is copied from the AP), four (!) vacform canopies, Eduard colour etched brass and a pre cust mask set. Very thorough I think you will agree.

325179952.jpg

Wings are hollow and moulded in four parts.

325179950.jpg

As are the large fuselage halves.

325179945.jpg

Bag of detail parts.

325179948.jpg

Decals, etch and canopies. The sharp eyed amongst you will have noted that clear resin windows and canopy are also provided, so if you hate fighting with vac canopies you need not fear :D

All the detail is in the form of engraved panel lines and it is very sharply done. While there is evidence of working marks on the mouldings, they are generally of a very high quailty. I could see no warping or any air bubbles in my parts. At least not on the outside anyway. One of my fuselage halves has a small repair in it where there was an air hole before. I don't have a problem with that at all, better to do that than scrap an otherwise good part or send it out imperfect. Here's a closer shot of the fuselage.

325179939.jpg

Just for the sake of it I dug out my Airfix Sunderland to do a size comparison. The C class is a bit bigger overall and quite a bit sleeker and classic looking.

325179943.jpg

325179941.jpg

Overall my first impressions are very positive indeed. My only slight niggle is that there is no interior detail at all other than the very good flight deck. I think some simple representation of the interior would have been worthwhile as some of the windows are fairly large. Hopefully I will be proven wrong when I build it!

Looks like it's well worth the cash though, a very impressive kit throughout. Lets see if it keeps it up through the building process then shall we? :winkgrin:

Jen.

In case you haven't seen this, Jen:

http://www.frogpenguin.com/

If you go to Penguin Modelkits, and select 1938, there are good real interiro photos, plans, and pictures of the "sectioned" Frog Penguin version with full interior for reference and inspiration should you decide to put anything inside. Looking at your most impressive pictures, I suspect the rear saloon interior might be more visible than you'd like!

bestest,

M.

"Now that looks very nice.

I went over to Alis site but couldn't find this listed there. Did you special order it with him?"

I spoke to him about it a while ago and asked him to keep one for me, which he did. He e mailed me to say he had one for me the other day. I don't know if he has any more but it's only a phone call if it's not on the site, or you could PM him through the forum.

Jen.

Edited by desmojen