Johnny Red's Hurricane

Based on the great thread in the WW2 section, I though I'd start a proper WIP thread on the build of the Hurricane of the Battle comic book fighter pilot ace, Johnny Red.

http://www.falconsquadron.sevenpennynightm...y/1977/1977.htm

The plane should ideally be a Sea Hurricane, but the comic book really shows it off as a plain, bog standard Mk.1 Hurricane in dark earth/dark green/sky colours, so I'm going to be faithful to that and not nitpick.

I'm using the 1/72nd Revell Hurricane Mk.II kit, which I originally planned to build for the SEAC GB, but failed miserably on!

Here's where she is now:

_D9O2012.jpg

As Johnny's crate is a Mk. I, I've decided to make a rod for my own back by converting the wings from a Mk.II, i.e, fill in all the panel lines and access panels for the canons, ammo, shell ejector holes on the underside, and rescribe them as if they were for the Brownings.

I'll post a shot of that later.

Cheers,

Nick

• 10 months later...

Right.

The decals worked well. Scanned plans from the SAM publications book, printed on decal paper, set with Microscale, and then overlayed on the wings, using the outer panel lines (which I didn't fill in) as a reference. Looks alright I think.

I'll get to work scribing along the decals later on once they're fully dry.

_D9O9708.jpg

(For all of you asking WHY?.. It was use this one, or rescribe the Mk1 Airfix... Less ballache on this one!)

Cheers,

Nick

Ok, as my first attempt at rescribing this way (using decals as a template), I learnt that you have to scribe with a new blade in order to slice through the decal and score the plastic.

I made a few mistakes, especially when I tried to cut time and freehand along the lines of the decals (yuk). There are a few cock ups, but nothing that can't be corrected, although when I first took a look at it, I was going to bin it and rescribe the Airfix kit.

Waste of a kit I thought you daft pillock, so on we go..

Machine gun holes were first marked out in pencil, and the holes were made with a hot needle.

It's NOT perfect, but hey? Vot to do? It's being made honouring a cartoon character!

_D9O9711.jpg

_D9O9712.jpg

A bit of tart up, and she's ready for spraying (after I mask the canopy first.. Bleuuuugggghhhhhh).

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by dylan the rabbit

Ok, as my first attempt at rescribing this way (using decals as a template), I learnt that you have to scribe with a new blade in order to slice through the decal and score the plastic.

I made a few mistakes, especially when I tried to cut time and freehand along the lines of the decals (yuk). There are a few cock ups, but nothing that can't be corrected, although when I first took a look at it, I was going to bin it and rescribe the Airfix kit.

Now that is what I call innovation. I wish I had the kit (and brilliance) to try something like that!

Re the panel lines – try an old No.11 with a very slightly broken tip used in the reverse if that makes any sense. Drag it along the intended panel line towards yourself at an ever so slight angle. With practice you should be able to remove a fine curl of plastic and leave behind a neatly finished panel line.

I hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

In the end I used blu tack on some of the smaller squares, and straightened it up as much as possible with a cocktail stick.

Masking windows with tape in 1/72nd? Life's too short!

Spraying started this evening, with the first coat of Xtracolour Dark Earth. Despite the heat of the evening here, it performed fantastically. I do love that paint.

Cheers,

Nick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, so here goes with the masking for the falcons.

The masks were made by Nenad at Aeropoxy in Yugoslavia. Top bloke, and he made the vinyl masks for the falcons based on the cartoon sketches and CGI off a flying game I sent him.

You can see the mask surrounded by the Tamiya tape to prevent overspray.

_D9O8129.jpg

I used Revell carmine red, which I like as it's a nice dirty shade of red.

Masks off..

_D9O8130-1.jpg

Nenad made a decal of a black outline to go around the red spray, and I also have to do a little painting for the beak and claws, but it's pretty damm good.

I had to go over the kit with a cotton wool bud dipped in white spirit, as I had a little more overspray than planned (a lesson for the next build using his masks).

I like!

Cheers,

Nick

Hi Dylan :D how are things just got the email and read all that you’ve been doing :popcorn: , the Hurricanes looking great :thumbsup: , how much did the masks for cost? If you don’t mind me asking.

That's really neat! The masks are a great idea, I did my Falcons for the red bird by printing onto white decal paper, your solution's a lot neater. Didn't help that I sealed my decals with Klear, then used an Ammonia based setting solution on them..... :wall:

Cheers,

Bill.

Thanks chaps.

Here she is with decals..

_D9O8133.jpg

The mask maker gave me a set of decals of the eagle outline in black, to go around the spray of the decal. Would have added a nice contrast to it and made it "pop" off the plane.

However, I kakked that up pulling the mask out of it's surrounding vinyl, so the shapes weren't the same.

Anyway, it's a comic book plane, so I'm not going to get anal about it.

Undersides and undercarraige tomorrow.

Cheers,

Nick

Anyway, it's a comic book plane, so I'm not going to get anal about it.

If only everyone was that forgiving! :lol:

(Well i am at any rate!)

I hope you are going to finish it in a nice bullet-spitting diorama with a spiky voice balloon by the cockpit saying "Die Fritz!"

:thumbsup2:

Al

PS like this!

The_Battle_of_Britain_copy.jpg

Edited by PHaTNesS

JR.....your modeling skills are again on display and I wish I had in my whole body what you have in just one of your hands....great work mate.

Cheers Clif and Al..

May well try and get a shot in a comic book setting.. Eat lead!

Here's the latest..

_D9O8188.jpg

Still need to gloss the prop, put decals on it and yellow tips, spray the red for the gun port doping, add the beak and claws for the falcons, add the exhausts, and once that's done, weather it..

Tata,

Nick

Edited by dylan the rabbit