Tornado GR 1

Guest Cop

Well its been a while since I was in the mood to sit down and build, but I have the sudden urge to build and build big!

I was going to put it forward for the Best of British but it falls outside that remit, pity really as it's formed the backbone of the UK's air defence for such a long time. But rules are rules.

I'm going to do it as a GR1 as I have a special place in my heart for the grey/green camo patterns of the 80's RAF. The greys just look to US to me. No offence to our US members but you know what I mean. :hypnotised:

I'm going to be dropping in the Blackbox resin cockpit and taking some parts out of the Flightpath update set, to spruce up certain areas. Nothing to dramatic as firstly I want to finish it for Telford and secondly I'm using it as a test build before going to town on a GR4 version.

Heres the first stage. I just taped it together to check for general fit and to get an idea of the size of the thing. It's big, glad the wife has left me now, means I can put it on the mantle piece once its finished and the mantle piece extended.

Tornado_0512_edited-1.jpg

The cockpit is a beautiful piece of work and seems, on intial trials, to fit quite well, even with the blocks still attached. Pretty sure it will foul upon something though, as the build progresses, like the nose wheel bay?

Nige.

Nice to see you back Nige. :bobby:

Glad kick starting again with a big beastie :yahoo: Not been the same without you around.

Bex

Cheers guys and girls.

Yep master taper!!

Has anybody used the blackbox set for this kit? The actual pit itself fits well enough but the IP and front coaming are a completely differant story. Its as though the coaming is 5mm to short. very odd. :huh:

Nige.

How queer... don't the instructions give any clues? If not, why not compare it to the Neomega cockpit in 1:48 and the kit pit, to see what the score is.

Interested to see you are using the Black Box pit. I bought one recently for my fin, but had to send it back as it was an enormous pile of :shit: . The moulds were breaking down when they poured it, guess they thought they could get away with it but large parts were covered in miss-shapen blobs of resin where there should have been detail, it was horrible. Always thought BB were up there with the best but I was obviously mistaken. Thanks, rant over. Will be watching this.

The set itself is perfectly formed. I pre-ordered it when it was first announced so its one of the first pulled from the moulds. I can't work our what the problem is but I'm not happy, hopefully it will only be limited to this part with a bit of luck.

I'll get some pics up later of the pit and problem.

Nige.

Hey Nige,

I think I may have the answer.

I think I saw in another tonka thread (it may not however have been in this scale) you have to narrow the sides of the cockpit 'ledge' (the top bit of the walls where the canopy meets the walls...can't get much more technical than that :D) a little bit with styrene to get it accurate. Perhaps the BlackBox cockpit wants you to to do this before installing it?

I'll try and find the thread/threads I've seen it done in...trouble is it may have been on the ARC site....

Cheers Jake, but thats not where the problem lies.

The resin base of the pit fits easily with the minimal of sanding and fitting.

Tornado_0513_edited-1.jpg

The problem comes when you fit the coaming, what the hell happened here Mr Blackbox??

Tornado_0516_edited-1.jpg

The coaming is near enough a direct lift from the Revell version and offers no extra detail. The box of tricks which is fitted to the lefthand side of the HUD is missing and will need to be added. Which is just as well, as it will hide the damage to the resin piece.

Tornado_0517_edited-1.jpg

I don't suppose anybody has some pics of the coaming do they preferably of the front and sides, does the resin one need any vents putting in etc.

Nige.

Cheers Jake, but thats not where the problem lies.

The resin base of the pit fits easily with the minimal of sanding and fitting.

Tornado_0513_edited-1.jpg

The problem comes when you fit the coaming, what the hell happened here Mr Blackbox??

Tornado_0516_edited-1.jpg

The coaming is near enough a direct lift from the Revell version and offers no extra detail. The box of tricks which is fitted to the lefthand side of the HUD is missing and will need to be added. Which is just as well, as it will hide the damage to the resin piece.

Tornado_0517_edited-1.jpg

I don't suppose anybody has some pics of the coaming do they preferably of the front and sides, does the resin one need any vents putting in etc.

Nige.

Hi Nige,

Watching this one with interest. Do you (or anyone else) know how much commonality there is between the GR1 and GR4 cockpits? When I say 'cockpits' I mean the detail on the rear bulkheads (I have got the IP's covered by the Flightpath set). Just scratch-detailing the rear bulkheads at the moment. Any tips on colours too?

Cheers

James

Oh god not rear bulkheads...they're the bane of my existance.

Aaah sorry Cop, now I see the problem. Just fill the gap up with milliput or something. Sorry I have no reference pictures to help you guys :(

Not a lot more to see for a days work.

Got the cockpit walls and sills installed. Sprayed the one side up with Mr Surfacer and left the other side so you can see how short the Revell offerings are.

Got the rest of the pit, less the coaming, all dry fitted nicely so I can start adding some paint. Safe in the knowledge that I shouldn't have to do to much chopping and sanding when it's done.

Tornado_0518_edited-1.jpg

Tornado_0519_edited-1.jpg

The pit fits very well, truth be known and I'm going to push forward ignoring the coaming for a little while because I really don't want to get bogged down at such an early stage, having just mustered up the motivation to start modelling again. Strange really, divorce papers turn up, I feel like modelling again. :D

James your questions are best directed at Spike 7451 as he works on them. I know I'm going to.

Nige.